What value do we place on a child’s time?

coberst

Post by coberst »

Labor has been commodified in the American culture.

I would guess that the average working person makes about $30 an hour. That would be $1200 per week and about $60,000 per year.

The average big corporate CEO makes about 500 times the average worker thus they make about $15,000 per hour.

How do we determine how much we value the time of a child? I guess we might say that a K-12 teacher makes average wages and has about 30 children in their classroom thus we value a child’s time at about $1 per hour.

Do we evaluate a child’s time too highly or too lowly? I think that we place too little value on a child’s time.

The lower we place the value of a child’s time the more likely will a parent or teacher spend less time with that child. The lower value we place on a child’s time the more willing we are to allow that child to “waste time”.

Adolescence appears to be something that has developed late in our culture. A hundred years ago a child became an adult at 16 and today that age often extends to the early to mid 20s.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

"I would guess that the average working person makes about $30 an hour"

What?? :wah:

Hubby and I are way below average on that pay scale. Not much value placed on our time. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Philosophy”