How can we find that resonant synchronization?

coberst

Post by coberst »

I am of the opinion that we all have a number of personal resonances (talents?) that if discovered give great emphasis to our life’s satisfaction. Those individuals who discover and exploit such a personal resonance can find great self-satisfaction. If that particular resonance strikes a social resonance then the accompanying social display of appreciation can add to the personal satisfaction to the individual.

I think a successful artist is a good example of what I speak. The singing artist who happens not only to discover a particular musical talent and, if that talent is in accord with a public musical taste, that individual would reap great personal and economic satisfaction. The actor or painter, or any of many possible talents that are appreciated by the public would serve as examples of what I mean by resonance.

Few individuals discover and display a talent, a personal resonance that can truly excite public appreciation. Those who do display such a resonance are truly rewarded. However, I am not particularly interested in those few but I am interested in considering all the rest of us who have resonances (talents?) and especially all those that remain undiscovered by ourselves.

It seems that society and all its institutions are focused upon making everyone of us efficient producers and consumers. Nothing prepares us for self-discovery when such discovery is not supportive of a drive to produce and consume. I think that most social pressure from birth to death is directed at the drive to make us effective producers and consumers.

I chose to use the word “resonance” rather than talent because I think our sense of the meaning of the word “talent” will distort the point I wish to make. “Talent” is such a ‘produce and consume’ word. In fact we have little vocabulary available when discussing what I mean.

At mid-life when our career ambitions dim and our family are cared for is the time that is available to us to begin to de-emphasize the world of ‘production and consumption’ and begin exploring the world of the intellect directed as an end-in-itself’. Our intellects have been so totally directed as a means to an end that we will have some difficulty thinking of knowledge and understanding that is considered as an end-in-itself.

Our first encounter with resonance, as the word is normally used, might have been when we first discovered on the playground swing that a little energy directed in synchronization with the swing’s resonant frequency would produce outstanding movement. What a marvelous discovery. We might make similar marvelous discoveries if we decide, against all that we have learned in the past, that the intellect can be used as an end-in-it-self.

I also think that if a person reaches mid-life without having begun an intellectual life that person will be unlikely to begin such a life. It appears to me that if we do not start such an effort before mid-life we will never have an intellectual life. After our school daze are over it might be wise for a person to begin the cultivation of intellectual curiosity even though there may not be a lot of time available for that hobby.

Get a life—get an intellectual life!
Lon

Post by Lon »

That all sounds very good, however, in the day to day world in which most of us move, we are in contact with less than intellectually interested or inclined individuals. Our public media is also not inclined to cater to the intellect. Books are the key as is interacting with others with an intellectual bent. Books are easy to come by, the later, considerably more difficult unless you are in academia. With the average individuals need for social interplay with others, this puts the developing or evolving intellectual in his own personal vacuum of intellectualism. For some, that is acceptable, for most, it is not. I would wager that you yourself have on many occasions been frustrated when trying to have a face to face conversation with one or more people about anything that required some fairly deep thought. This Forum is a good example. To respond to most of your posts requires some time and thought, most don't have the time or interest to respond. WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER? hardly requires much time or effort to answer. Keep plugging and keep posting, you will gain a following.
coberst

Post by coberst »

Lon

I think that we chit-chat too much with one another when the time could be better spent in dialogue with the great minds through books. It appears to me that all of our new hand held gadgets take us into the wrong direction. We spend time in vacuous interaction that leads to nothing but empty minds with the blind leading the blind.

I blame our educational system for creating such serious learning handicaps that or adults place their intellects with their year book in the attic when their school daze are over.
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

Lon wrote,

Keep plugging and keep posting, you will gain a following.

You must be joking !:yh_eyerol

coberst has been banned for spamming on numerous forums.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Moriarty;1182020 wrote: Lon wrote,

Theres room for us all. I've never seen anything Coberst has posted that would remotely constitute a banning.

I understand very little of what he posts but I do give it a go sometimes. My only critisism is that I wish he revisit those threads and communicate better with us lowly ones of a less intellectual bent, even if we get it wrong (which I often do )
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Lon

Post by Lon »

Moriarty;1182020 wrote: Lon wrote,

You must be joking---------his post on this forum can hardly be called SPAM.:guitarist
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

coberst never contributes to the threads of others.

He simultaneously posts all his threads, including this one, on over twenty forums. He only responds to praise or agreement and never to seriously debate the issues he raises which all revolve about his own dubious claim to "intellectual sophistication".

He already has his follow-up post ready to paste on all forums, together with his next title in the pipeline. This compulsive cycle has a frequency of about 3 days.

If he is not a "spammer" let him prove it by engaging in the dialogue he exhorts of others.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Moriarty;1182052 wrote: coberst never contributes to the threads of others.

He simultaneously posts all his threads, including this one, on over twenty forums. He only responds to praise or agreement and never to seriously debate the issues he raises which all revolve about his own claim to"academic sophistication".

He already has his follow-up post ready to paste on all forums, together with his next title in the pipeline. This compulsive cycle has a frequency of about 3 days.

If he is not a "spammer" let him prove it by engaging in the dialogue he exhorts of others.

Well thats true and its a shame but this forum is big enough to accommodate even the most vainest of posters. I'm probably not the one to comment on whether his contribution is of value, cos to be honest most of it flies over my head. But I agree it would be nice for him to respond to us few who like to give it a bash occasionally. My post in a previous thread was ignored, so I thought I'd missed the point completely.

So Moriarty, will you be contributing in other threads or is this just a chase down of coberst.

You're very welcome you know

Winston Churchill
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

I will certainly be interested in posting on philosophy threads.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Moriarty;1182057 wrote: I will certainly be interested in posting on philosophy threads.

Then you will have to restrain yourself for the likes of me then. Patience is a virtue, especially when dealing with the intellectually challenged.

Theres a few here who are more than capable but are probably put off by having their input ignored.

You might rally more of a crowd by introducing yourself in the relevant forum.

Welcome

Winston Churchill
Moriarty

Post by Moriarty »

I've just scanned the philosophy list and they all almost all from coberst !

Looks like I'll have to stsart one myself !
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Moriarty;1182064 wrote: I've just scanned the philosophy list and they all almost all from coberst !

Go easy on us at first :D

You'll find some older ones will involve other members

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Moriarty;1182064 wrote: I've just scanned the philosophy list and they all almost all from coberst !

Please do, there are a few of us here that will be interested for sure, welcome to the garden Moriarty :-6
Lon

Post by Lon »

Moriarty;1182052 wrote: coberst never contributes to the threads of others.

He simultaneously posts all his threads, including this one, on over twenty forums. He only responds to praise or agreement and never to seriously debate the issues he raises which all revolve about his own dubious claim to "intellectual sophistication".

OK------I have re thunk it.:wah:, and you are probably right. He really does not engage with others nor answer replies to his posts in a direct fashion.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Lon;1182071 wrote: OK------I have re thunk it.:wah:, and you are probably right. He really does not engage with others nor answer replies to his posts in a direct fashion.

You had to think about that one :yh_rotfl
Lon

Post by Lon »

Betty Boop;1182073 wrote: You had to think about that one :yh_rotfl

We aged ones need more time to think about things and sort them out.:wah:
coberst

Post by coberst »

Snowfire;1182029 wrote: Theres room for us all. I've never seen anything Coberst has posted that would remotely constitute a banning.

I understand very little of what he posts but I do give it a go sometimes. My only critisism is that I wish he revisit those threads and communicate better with us lowly ones of a less intellectual bent, even if we get it wrong (which I often do )

I read a lot of stuff and I write about what I study because it helps me learn and because I want to share important ideas with others. It is much like pointing out beautiful vistas to a companion while traveling.

I post what I write in the hope that some readers will become curious enough to go to the books and find answers to their questions.

Our educational system has left us with severe learning handicaps. One is that we think that the only way to learn is for some one to tell us what to know.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

coberst;1182218 wrote: I read a lot of stuff and I write about what I study because it helps me learn and because I want to share important ideas with others. It is much like pointing out beautiful vistas to a companion while traveling.

I post what I write in the hope that some readers will become curious enough to go to the books and find answers to their questions.

Our educational system has left us with severe learning handicaps. One is that we think that the only way to learn is for some one to tell us what to know.

Books are not the only way of learning. That can be a very lonely process. I would prefer communication and interaction between people. This process encourages us to exchange ideas and allow our thoughts to blossom. While its great you would want to share the vista, do you not want to know what others conclude from your recommendations ? Share the experience ?

I happen to be a very bad reader. I learn a lot from others. Its good to talk

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

What do your philosophy books say about social interaction ?

Winston Churchill

Return to “Philosophy”