Can we be clear about our assumptions?

coberst

Post by coberst »

Why is it important for us to be clear about the ideas that we assume to be true as we analyze how we think?

All reasoning must begin with some idea that is assumed to be true. These assumptions affect the rest of our thinking about the matter in question; these assumptions are what we accept as being true.

Often we make more than one assumption, in which case these two or more assumptions must be consistent with one another. I suspect most errors in thinking result from assumptions that are accepted with little or no reflection, analysis or comprehension.

Even philosophers must make assumptions.

When written history began five thousand years ago humans had already developed a great deal of knowledge. Much of that knowledge was of a very practical nature such as how to use animal skins for clothing, how to weave wool, how to hunt and fish etc. A large part of human knowledge was directed toward how to kill and torture fellow humans. I guess things never really change all that much.

In several parts of the world civilizations developed wherein people learned to create laws and to rule vast numbers of people. Some measure of peace and stability developed but there was yet no means for securing the people from their rulers. I guess things never really change all that much.

Almost everywhere priests joined rulers in attempts to control the population. Despite these continual wars both of external and internal nature the human population managed to flourish. Egypt was probably one of the first long lasting and stable civilizations to grow up along the large rivers. Egypt survived almost unchanged for three thousand years. This success is attributed to its geographical location that gave it freedom from competition and fertile lands that were constantly replenished by the river overflowing its banks and thus depositing new fertile soil for farming.

Western philosophy emerged in the sixth century BC along the Ionian coast. A small group of scientist-philosophers began writing about their attempts to develop “rational” accounts regarding human experience. These early Pre-Socratic thinkers thought that they were dealing with fundamental elements of nature.

It is natural for humans to seek knowledge. In the “Metaphysics” Aristotle wrote “All men by nature desire to know”.

The attempt to seek knowledge presupposes (assumes) that the world unfolds in a systematic pattern and that we can gain knowledge of that unfolding. Cognitive science identifies several ideas that seem to come naturally to us and labels such ideas as Folk Theories.

The Folk Theory of the Intelligibility of the World

The world makes systematic sense, and we can gain knowledge of it.

The Folk Theory of General Kinds

Every particular thing is a kind of thing.

The Folk Theory of Essences

Every entity has an “essence” or “nature,” that is, a collection of properties that makes it the kind of thing it is and that is the causal source of its natural behavior.

The consequences of the two theories of kinds and essences are:

The Foundational Assumption of Metaphysics

Kinds exist and are defined by essences.

We may not want our friends to know this fact but we are all metaphysicians. We, in fact, assume that things have a nature thereby we are led by the metaphysical impulse to seek knowledge at various levels of reality.

Cognitive science has uncovered these assumptions that they have labeled as Folk Theories. Such theories when compared to sophisticated philosophical theories are like comparing mountain music with classical music. Such commonly accepted assumptions seem to come naturally to human consciousness.

The information about Folk Theory comes from “Philosophy in the Flesh” by Lakoff and Johnson
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Good post.

(I like reading you stuff, and don’t always reply as often it is way over my head, but I do like your writing.)

With regards to assumptions, what I find, particularly in business, is that assumptions are made in the absence of data or other information that provide the full picture.

For example where people only have 75% of the information provided to them, and they need formulate an opinion, they fill in the missing 25% with data based on either experience, or other related information that they may have heard or read proving them with 100% of information that they need to make an opinion. How true their assumption in full, is then based on the accuracy of how well the 25% of information is.

The greater the % gap between the data provided and the data needed, the greater the risk of error in the assumption.

This is what the media is great at doing, they often provide only enough information to get people making assumptions, and they direct the assumptions often by providing the opinions of the journalist. This is why CNN and Sky and all those, are always bringing in ‘experts’ to ‘assess’ situations, this helps guide the opinions and assumptions of the viewers in the direction that they want it to go in the absence of information.

This is very important in the current economic climate.

Are we doomed?

or

‘Will we recover stronger than before’?

Will there be 10% unemployment?

Or

Will there be 90% full employement?
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Themis;1144573 wrote: The "assumption" is the Minds intuition.

I would say yes it is sometimes but surely you can't say that in every case? I would agree with the post above that sometimes the assumption is put in our heads by others.
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Interesting article, coberst.

Just a thought - isn't an assumption used as the starting point of a discussion called a "premise"?

:wah: There would be far less misunderstanding on this Forum if people checked out eachother's premises. But it would be much less fun!
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
coberst

Post by coberst »

I would say that there are levels of assumptions.

Assumptions are statements that are accepted as true without proof or demonstration. They generally are unconscious and operate on our thinking “below the radar”.

On the first level is axiom or postulate, which is a proposition that cannot be proved or demonstrated and is considered to be self-evident. The “Folk Theories” that are in my OP qualify as axioms or postulates.

Much of our errors are a result of assumptions. Many, if not all, of our biases and prejudices are assumptions.

Some very important assumptions are just the result of ignorance. Color, for example, that we assume to be in the object are much the result of our mental operation upon the input from our eyes.

We perceive dogginess rather than Fido, that is to say, we perceive generality rather than specificity generally.

We think in frames, for example a “pro-life” person thinks in terms of “life begins at conception” whereas the pro-choice person thinks in terms of ‘freedom of choice’.

Return to “Philosophy”