What Categories Reveal About the Mind

coberst

Post by coberst »

I graduated from Oklahoma State University in January of 1959 with a BSEE (Bachelor of Science in Electronic Engineering) and went immediately to work for Hughes Aircraft Corporation in Southern California. In college I took an elective course in Symbolic Logic, this seminal decision was to determine the course of my engineering career and eventually my whole world view because symbolic logic is the heart of computer design.

In 1960 I attended my first computer conference in San Francisco wherein the great excitement was focused upon the idea of AI (Artificial Intelligence). That is to say, the excitement revolved around the idea that humans could design and build computers that might adequately emulate human intelligence.

Western society has long been under the assumption that human reason is disembodied and abstract. That is to say, that reasoning is distinct from perception and the body; furthermore reasoning is free from all the mechanisms of imagination, and is considered by many philosophers, psychologists, and others that reasoning fits the model of formal deductive logic:

“Reason is the mechanical manipulation of abstract symbols which are meaningless in themselves, but can be given meaning by virtue of their capacity to refer to things either in the actual world or in possible states of the world.”

Because the digital computer works through the process of symbol manipulation it can easily be understood as a partial model of reality. Many have taken to the understanding that the computer is essentially a symbol manipulation machine just like the brain. ‘Mind as computer’ is a commonly accepted metaphor by science as well as the culture in general.

Our common world view, i.e. our classical view of categories, is that things are categorized on the basis of what they have in common. Dogs and trees belong in their particular category because of essential characteristics of dogginess or treeness that we can through conscious observation determine.

Such a classical view is not entirely wrong; however, it plays only a small part in our comprehension of our world. “In recent years it has become clear that categorization is far more complex than that. A new theory of categorization, called prototype theory has emerged. It shows that human categorization is based on principles that extend far beyond those envisioned in the classical theory.”

Quotes from Women, Fire, and Dangerous Things: What Categories Reveal About the Mind by George Lakoff
Daniyal

Post by Daniyal »

Pleasure And The

Mind"

19x2 = 38

I, Your Master Teacher Will Speak "To You On Pleasures.

2 Know Ye That In The Holy Tablets Chapter Ten, Tablet Twelve Verse 147 It States:

The Less Pleasure You Have Burden Of Liberation Will Be.

3 Worldly Pleasures Intensify The Desire For Greater Enjoyment.

4 The Mind Can Never Be Satisfied, No Matter How Many Pleasures It Is Fed.

5 Emotions Become Dangerous, When They Become Motion.

6 It Is These Emotions That Make You Fight Which Leads To Wars;

7 Emotions Which Lead To Greed, Which Causes You To Over Eat And Leads To Diseases;

8 Or Eat Yourself To Obesity, Or Death.

9 Emotions Which Lead To Your Need And What You Want; And Sex Which Leads To Lust, Luster.

10 You Are Exceptionally Apt To Get AIDS, If You Let Your Emotions, Be Controlled By Lust, Or The Luster Of It Make You Go Out And Buy, Or Being A Sexual Instrument To Give You Pleasure,

11 Then You Will Be An AIDS Victim,

12 Because The Fact That You Need A Vibrator Shows You Have A Lack Of Self-Control;

13 And If The Opportunity Arises For You To Have Sex You'll Take Chances,

14 Not Caring What The Consequences Might Be, Even Possible Death.

15 When You're Emotional And Calm You're Okay.

16 I'm Not Saying Don't Have Feelings.

17 Don't Cry Or Let Your Anger Get You Into Trouble Because You Can't Control Your Mouth.

18 When You Are Over Emotional Sexually, You Take Chances You Normally Wouldn't And Regret Once You Have AIDS.

19 When You're Over Emotional You Can Get Into A Fight And Have Regrets,

20 Or A Person Who Is Obese Now, Has Regrets That They're Fat And Say:

21 "I Wish I Could Lose Weight."

22 Like Getting Fat Wasn't Their Problem, From The Beginning.

23 This Is Your Own Trinity: 1) Me, 2) Myself, 3) And I.

24 These Emotions Lead To Other Emotions Like Fear And Regret:

25 A Person With A.I.D.S. Now Realizes, I'm Going To Die,

26 The Person Who Is Obese And Has All This Fat Around Their Heart Realizes With Their Added Worry, Aggravation, Which Increases The Chances Of Dying, Say:

27 "I'm Going To Die." Emotions Link Into Motion.

28 When You Give Into Your Emotion, You Give Up A Part Of Your Divinity.

29 That Means When You're Upset By Something,

30 You Are No Longer In Control Of Yourself,

31 And Therefore You're Under The Rule Of Another.

32 You Can Say Out Of Your Mind.

33 However, You Can Be Under, Or In Control Of Your Own Divinity,

34 And Surrender Your Divinity To Another Who Is In Authority. The Saying Is: Believe In Your Self, Then They Say Believe In God. They Told You Who And What You Are, In The Scripture Of Our Apostle John, Called In Tones Yowkhanan, And In Rhythm Yuhanna, The Tenth Degree, The Thirty Fourth Verse, Where It States:

Jesus Answered Them Saying “Is It Not Written In Your Law, I Said You Are Gods?

And Again In The Scripture, Which Was Received By Our Prophet David, Called In Tones Dawiyd And In Rhythm Dawud, The Books Of Psalms The Eighty Second Degree, The Sixth Verse, Where It States:

I Said, “You Are Gods, And All Of You Are Children Of The Most High.

35 For Instance When You Humble Yourself To Someone,

36 You Are Surrendering Your Divinity To Them;

37 But Can Regain It Back.

38 It's Not Like Once You Lose Your Divinity That You Can't Regain It Again. You Lose It Of Your Free Will. So You Can't Earn It Back When You Will. Don't Mix Humbleness Up With Submission. They Are Not The Same. No Man Knows Less Than The One Who Knows It All.

Mine Your Mind For The Jewels Of Your Soul

Dr . M.Z.York
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:

Return to “Philosophy”