It's a Judgment Call

coberst

It's a Judgment Call

Post by coberst »

It’s a Judgment Call

Most decisions we have to make are judgment calls. A judgment call is made when we must make a decision when there is no “true” or “false” answers. When we make a judgment call our decision is bad, good, or better.

Many factors are involved: there are the available facts, assumptions, skills, knowledge, and especially personal experience and attitude. I think that the two most important elements in the mix are personal experience and attitude.

When we study math we learn how to use various algorithms to facilitate our skill in dealing with quantities. If we never studied math we could deal with quantity on a primary level but our quantifying ability would be minimal. Likewise with making judgments; if we study the art and science of good judgment we can make better decisions and if we never study the art and science of judgment our decision ability will remain minimal.

I am convinced that a fundamental problem we have in this country (USA) is that our citizens have never learned the art and science of good judgment. Before the recent introduction of CT into our schools and colleges our young people have been taught primarily what to think and not how to think. All of us graduated with insufficient comprehension of the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary for the formulation of good judgment. The result of this inability to make good judgment is evident and is dangerous.

I am primarily interested in the judgment that adults exercise in regard to public issues. Of course, any improvement in judgment generally will affect both personal and community matters.

To put the matter into a nut shell:

1. Normal men and women can significantly improve their ability to make judgments.

2. CT is the domain of knowledge that delineates the knowledge, skills, and intellectual character demanded for good judgment.

3. CT has been introduced into our schools and colleges slowly in the last two or three decades.

4. Few of today’s adults were ever taught CT.

5. I suspect that at least another two generations will pass before our society reaps significant rewards resulting from teaching CT to our children.

6. Can our democracy survive that long?

7. I think that every effort must be made to convince today’s adults that they need to study and learn CT on their own. I am not suggesting that adults find a teacher but I am suggesting that adults become self-actualizing learners.

8. I am convinced that learning the art and science of Critical Thinking is an important step toward becoming a better citizen in today’s democratic society.

Perhaps you are not familiar with CT. I first encountered the concept about five years ago. The following are a few Internet sites that will familiarize you with the matter.

http://www.freeinquiry.com/critical-notes.html

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:mk ... clnk&cd=11

http://www.chss.montclair.edu/inquiry/f ... inste.html

http://www.criticalthinking.org/resourc ... sary.shtml

http://www.doit.gmu.edu/inventio/past/d ... sID=eslava
Lennox

It's a Judgment Call

Post by Lennox »

THE COMPONENTS OF CRITICAL THINKING:

Focus on Problems and Questions

Identify problems

Clarify issues

Focus on relevant topics and methods

Rely on Empirical Evidence

Access relevant data and information

Be able to manipulate data and statistics

Be able to validate evidence by repetition

Avoid wishful, hopeful, and subjective thinking

Analyze Arguments

Judge credibility of a source

Identify assumptions

Treat unreliable or odd information skeptically

Watch out for authoritarian influences

Watch out for specious arguments

Use Logical Reasoning

Understand induction and deduction

Avoid logical fallacies

Make value judgements properly

Act On One's Beliefs

Consider the other person's point of view

Be sensitive to the feeling of others

Judge the morality of one's own actions

Anticipate the consequences of one's actions

Once it's brought to my attention I am a very critical thinker and I actually criticize those who aren't for not following actions that fall under the components of critical thought. I think as far as things go, children (elementary through high school) as well as adults don't want to take the necessary time to think about a topic critically in lieu of logically. Alot of people simply assume that based on logical thought they are free from all recourse based on their actions being the OBVIOUS and LOGICAL decision, but the OBVIOUS decision is not always the right decision. I explain my views in very scientific, step-by-step way; this is to insure that my point is received (not necessarily agreed with) and any questions regarding my actions are answered before they are asked. Students take the easy way out of picking the obvious because it is the easiest choice. I however do not foresee critical thought becoming a widespread topic all facts pending on it is still easier to pick the obvious/logical over digging deeper. Sorry if I am talking in circles.
Jives

It's a Judgment Call

Post by Jives »

It's funny that this thread should come up on the very day of the year that I and my other teachers have to make judgement calls on all our students.

If the student passes the NWEA Levels test at a 10th grade level they get a credit for English and a credit for Math. They then (assumming they all passed their electives at the high school,) go straight on to the 10th grade.

If they miss the test score by more than two points they do not get any credit and they go to the high school as a 9th grader. (Basically, that means they were held back in the 8th grade.)

If, however, they miss the test by 2 points or less (one half year's ability level) then we must make a judgement call for the high school credit.

We use a concensus based on factors such as work ethic, attitude towards education, attendance, maturity, and probability for success in high school.

All of those factors are subjective, so it's a difficult decison making process, especially considering one year of a child's life is hanging in the balance.:-2
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
coberst

It's a Judgment Call

Post by coberst »

Jives

I would be interested in a teacher's point of view regarding the importance of CT and how it is being taught in your school.

Return to “Philosophy”