Uncommon Sense

coberst

Uncommon Sense

Post by coberst »

Uncommon Sense

I think that there is opinion, judgment, knowledge, understanding, and information.

Opinion and information permeate the air we breathe. There is a wealth of knowledge of every variety. Judgment and understanding are at a premium and if judgment and understanding is not constantly pursued by citizens then I do not think citizens are holding up there end of the bargain.

Just as we (Americans) are passing on to future generations a massive debt that we refuse to pay likewise we are passing on to future generations depleted resources and a democratic legacy that has likewise been seriously depleted. The enemy is us; no one else.

Future generations will, I suspect, grade us severely for our lack of seriousness.

I think that if one percent of the population acquired uncommon sense that we could protect our heritage of a liberal democracy. It seems to me that if one in a hundred were to acquire uncommon sense our society would not tolerate so many outrageous policies.

The key to good judgment and understanding is attitude. The attitude of fair-mindedness is the bedrock of good judgment and the effort to develop the habits of good intellectual character (including fair-mindedness) can be a valuable asset for the development of a fair-minded understanding.

Return to “Philosophy”