Leadership: Via Privilege Merit

coberst

Post by coberst »

Leadership: Via Privilege & Merit

If we look back in history we can see that national leadership was almost totally the province of the privileged until modern times when leadership was often chosen based upon merit.

In the last four presidential elections Americans have chosen Clinton for two terms on the bases of merit and Bush for two terms on the bases of privilege. Two elections were won by the boy from the wrong side of the tracks who displayed amazing merit. Two elections were won by the privileged son of privilege.

I think we can usefully examine these two leaders in an attempt to recognize the dangers to our nation by both types of leadership. In the case of Bush there is little need for examination because he is the incarnation of the weakness of leadership by an aristocracy of privilege. But the weakness of meritocracy may not be so obvious.

I think the major problem inherent in meritocracy is that the arrogance of privilege has been replaced by the arrogance of merit. Clinton was problematic for the nation because it appears that those who rise to the top because of merit have developed a sense of superiority even surpassing that of the aristocracy of privilege.

Elites by merit have the illusion that their success is solely on merit and it “strengthens the likelihood that elites will exercise power irresponsibly, precisely because they recognize so few obligations to their predecessors or to the communities they profess to lead. Their lack of gratitude disqualifies meritocratic elites from the burden of leadership, and in any case, they are less interested in leadership than in escaping from the common lot—the very definition of meritocratic success.”

Of course, we can find evidence of great leadership from both the privileged and the meritocracy. How can we recognize the disabling arrogance before we elect them rather than after?

Quotes from “The Revolt of the Elites” by Lasch.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Yup. That's why I voted for Bush - privilege. I knew he wouldn't do a good job, but he's got the bloodline. :cool:

Don't insult us coberst. You put that statement in your second paragraph up there as if it's self-evident.

I guess anyone that disagrees with your politics doesn't think for himself? Get off your high horse, the air's too thin up there.
bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy »

Are you attempting to brainwash us with some of these long posts, that tend to raise questions that you never return to answer?

That is what debate is. A free flow of thinking of posting. It is a two way street.
coberst

Post by coberst »

I think it is to our nation’s determent that we seem to be unable to engage in a non emotional discussion of important issues that are matters of religion and politics. I think all of us would serve our nations welfare better if we learned to curb our “home team” bias long enough to discuss our nation’s problems rationally.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

coberst wrote: I think it is to our nation’s determent that we seem to be unable to engage in a non emotional discussion of important issues that are matters of religion and politics. I think all of us would serve our nations welfare better if we learned to curb our “home team” bias long enough to discuss our nation’s problems rationally.
I agree. So drop your "home team" bias.
coberst

Post by coberst »

Which is my 'home team'? And please explain your reasoning.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

coberst wrote: Which is my 'home team'? And please explain your reasoning.
You toss out that tripe about Clinton winning on merit & Bush winning on privilege as if it's self evident, as I already posted. You can't build an argument on that unless we first agree, and I don't. I believe your 'home team' is self-evident.

So let's go back to square one, shall we? Explain your initial assertions.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

My home team is the Lakers.

*waiting for Coberst's response to AC*
coberst

Post by coberst »

Does anyone wish to guess my home team? Give your reason for so concluding.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

coberst wrote: Does anyone wish to guess my home team? Give your reason for so concluding.
I would prefer you give support for the statement I mentioned. That way maybe we can proceed.
coberst

Post by coberst »

Which assertion do you want me to clirify. This ain't rocket science you know.

Return to “Philosophy”