Animal philosophy

Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

Okay, so I have this philosophy course I'm taking and the instructor wants us to write a 5 page philosophical paper on something that we are strongly interested in. Since I am in a Wildlife biology program, I need to do this paper on animals.

I need help!!! Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated! So far I am going on the way animals think-but I need to veer from psychological and scientific areas...:thinking:
valerie

Animal philosophy

Post by valerie »

Maybe something on animals "living for the moment" and supposedly not

having a concept of "future"? Their love of life... caring for their young?

Sorry, not real good at this sort of thing!

:thinking:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

chonsigirl

Animal philosophy

Post by chonsigirl »

Suggested topics:

Do animals have souls?

Do animals go to heaven?

Are animals superior mentally then humans? (hey, how would we know?)

Is there right and wrong in nature? Is survival of the fittest the only answer?
Accountable

Animal philosophy

Post by Accountable »

Where's coberst when you need 'im? :wah:

How about which is smarter, cats or dogs?
Accountable

Animal philosophy

Post by Accountable »

There's a thread here somewhere asking if animals are capitalist. There's something you can sink your canines into.
BabyRider

Animal philosophy

Post by BabyRider »

I saw an interesting program a while back on domesticated dogs and cats being parasites. They've "weaseled" their way into our homes, usually getting fed and spoiled for their whole lives, with us cleaning up after them. While we are getting companionship, they are getting a free ride.

Not at all how I think, of course, but it was an intriguing theory.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

Animal philosophy

Post by Accountable »

BabyRider wrote: I saw an interesting program a while back on domesticated dogs and cats being parasites. They've "weaseled" their way into our homes, usually getting fed and spoiled for their whole lives, with us cleaning up after them. While we are getting companionship, they are getting a free ride.

Hmmm :yh_think A parasite takes without giving. That doesn't fit pets for me. To take as much emotion out of the equation as possible, I see it as payment for services rendered - the service being companionship, love, ... or some incomprehensible something that fish owners get. :p
Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

chonsigirl wrote: Suggested topics:

Do animals have souls?

Do animals go to heaven?

Are animals superior mentally then humans? (hey, how would we know?)

Is there right and wrong in nature? Is survival of the fittest the only answer?

You ask some very good questions! I think you may have helped me out, but I will have to do a little research for available info on these and see what turns up. I am still interested in more suggestions!

Thanks!:cool:
Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

BabyRider wrote: I saw an interesting program a while back on domesticated dogs and cats being parasites. They've "weaseled" their way into our homes, usually getting fed and spoiled for their whole lives, with us cleaning up after them. While we are getting companionship, they are getting a free ride.

It does not surprise me that this came up. I think almost everyday that I wish that I was one of my pets. They lead the best life. The cats get the best food on the market, the dogs get warm gravy with their dinner, the bunnies are cuddled, etc. That life would be awesome! But unfortunately there are many animals that do not get this kind of attention. They are thrown into shelters and put on death row or they are thrown out of car windows on a freeway. Too many animals that actually deserve a fraction of what our pets receive from us being their slaves :-1 .
chonsigirl

Animal philosophy

Post by chonsigirl »

Yeah, you mentioned bunnies!

If you look under animal behavior to start with, then narrow your topic, you may find something that you like. There are several books written in the 1990s about animal minds........................
Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

chonsigirl wrote: Yeah, you mentioned bunnies!

If you look under animal behavior to start with, then narrow your topic, you may find something that you like. There are several books written in the 1990s about animal minds........................

Chonsigirl,

I noticed that you must like rabbits too! I actually breed show rabbits. I have roughly fifty rabbits. Holland Lops, Mini Lops, Jersey Woolys, Mini rexes, English Spots and Netherland Dwarfs. My personal favorites are the Hollands and the mini rexes.

As for my topic, I am thinking about animal behavior in general and maybe elaborating more on instinct or knowledge? Now I am just waiting for my instructor to write me back!

Thanks!:)
BabyRider

Animal philosophy

Post by BabyRider »

Tigersmeow wrote: It does not surprise me that this came up. I think almost everyday that I wish that I was one of my pets. They lead the best life. The cats get the best food on the market, the dogs get warm gravy with their dinner, the bunnies are cuddled, etc. That life would be awesome! But unfortunately there are many animals that do not get this kind of attention. They are thrown into shelters and put on death row or they are thrown out of car windows on a freeway. Too many animals that actually deserve a fraction of what our pets receive from us being their slaves :-1 .
I wish I could remember where I saw this documentary, I'd get a copy and send it to you.

I wish I could be one of your animals, too! You spoil them rotten!! They have a great life!

By the way....how'd that skin condition with Sayla (Sayla, right?) work out?

And Lil' Girl? How is she? Is Raven still smiling? :-4
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

BabyRider wrote: I wish I could remember where I saw this documentary, I'd get a copy and send it to you.

I wish I could be one of your animals, too! You spoil them rotten!! They have a great life!

By the way....how'd that skin condition with Sayla (Sayla, right?) work out?

And Lil' Girl? How is she? Is Raven still smiling? :-4

Salina still has that skin condition, she is also neurotic and forgot what a litter pan is, I have her confined to a large dog cage, I am afraid that I may have to put her down soon. She is no longer the Salina she used to be and the vet has no help for her. She is 13 years old.
Tigersmeow

Animal philosophy

Post by Tigersmeow »

Forgot... Lil Girl turned fifteen on Feb. 28!!!!:D Raven just turned eleven on Mar. 1st. Still the same ol' Raven!:)
BabyRider

Animal philosophy

Post by BabyRider »

Tigersmeow wrote: Salina still has that skin condition, she is also neurotic and forgot what a litter pan is, I have her confined to a large dog cage, I am afraid that I may have to put her down soon. She is no longer the Salina she used to be and the vet has no help for her. She is 13 years old.
Salina, that's right, sorry. I can't believe she's 13. And that no one could figure out what's wrong with her!! That's got to be so frustrating for you.

Hey, while you're here, if you have time, check out the thread "Skinny dog" in the pet training folder.

I so love it that you're here!!! :yh_bigsmi
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jcas

Animal philosophy

Post by Jcas »

I honestly believe animals have more insight than we give them credit for. I have Tibetan Spaniel dogs.

I am a migraine sufferer, and when i have a migraine those dogs get up on my knee ever so gently and snuggle into me.

At normal times, when i am okay, they jump up with a thud and nearly lick me to death. How they know i don't have a clue, but they can sense my feelings and they react accordingly.

Animal insight would be a very rewarding study ....:-6 :-6
BabyRider

Animal philosophy

Post by BabyRider »

Jcas wrote: I am a migraine sufferer, and when i have a migraine those dogs get up on my knee ever so gently and snuggle into me.

At normal times, when i am okay, they jump up with a thud and nearly lick me to death. How they know i don't have a clue, but they can sense my feelings and they react accordingly.
How do they know? Maybe we'll never know, but it seems they always do. And to see compassion from an animal, (I don't care if anyone says "animals are incapable of emotion like that", I believe they can and do) is so amazing. They have much more sense than people give them credit for. I'd love to be a dog, just for a day.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

chonsigirl

Animal philosophy

Post by chonsigirl »

Animals always know. My cat is as gentle as can be with my husband, who is an invalid. He romps and plays with everyone else, but keeps a watchful eye on my husband all day long.

Return to “Philosophy”