What is an intellectual life?

coberst

Post by coberst »

When I suggest that each of us get an intellectual life I am suggesting that we establish a hobby of ‘getting an intellectual life’. Our experience with our first PC might be a helpful means for describing what I mean.

The first thing after buying our first PC was to learn some of the fundamentals for using the PC. Then we learned how to use the PC for certain things such as e-mail and browsing the web.

Slowly we expand our ability to utilize our PC and to discover the things we can do with the PC. Let our intellect be the PC and you get an idea of what an intellectual life might be. To get an intellectual life we must learn something about our intellect and we must learn how to effectively use that intellect. Then we can begin to explore and understand our world.

Reality is multilayered and we cannot penetrate beyond the surface without a good deal on intellectual effort. If we develop an intellectual life we prepare our self to take a ‘big bite out of reality’ so that we can digest (understand) reality beyond the surface.

Return to “Philosophy”