Senior Behavior

Lon

Senior Behavior

Post by Lon »

I am fortunate to live in a fairly affluent community of retired folks with all the recreational amenities one could imagine. There is considerable humour in living amongst them and observing all the expected behavior of aging citizens.

I find myself at 71 wondering if I act as goofy as some of my peers and if I exhibit any of the same symptoms of stubborness, forgetfulness, physical inflexibility and slow reflexes as many of them do. My conclusion? There must be some kind of mistake about my birthdate. I can't really be older than 35 at the most. I have the memory of an elephant and lightning quick reflexes. I hate the music of the 40's & 50's and like Rock. I'd rather dance the Salsa than Fox Trot. I love Hi Tech and get angry when I can't find my Ipod. My friend Ralph who is only 64, must really be about 85 years old (I think he lies).

He's never used an ATM machine, still writes checks, doesn't own a computer, loves listening to Lawrence Welk (ugh!!) and can hardly bend over to tie his shoes. Last week he bought a motorcycle. He's crazy!!! With his slow reflexes he's an accident waiting to happen.

Next year when I turn 36 I may just think about getting a used Porsche convertible.
minks

Senior Behavior

Post by minks »

Lon wrote: I am fortunate to live in a fairly affluent community of retired folks with all the recreational amenities one could imagine. There is considerable humour in living amongst them and observing all the expected behavior of aging citizens.

I find myself at 71 wondering if I act as goofy as some of my peers and if I exhibit any of the same symptoms of stubborness, forgetfulness, physical inflexibility and slow reflexes as many of them do. My conclusion? There must be some kind of mistake about my birthdate. I can't really be older than 35 at the most. I have the memory of an elephant and lightning quick reflexes. I hate the music of the 40's & 50's and like Rock. I'd rather dance the Salsa than Fox Trot. I love Hi Tech and get angry when I can't find my Ipod. My friend Ralph who is only 64, must really be about 85 years old (I think he lies).

He's never used an ATM machine, still writes checks, doesn't own a computer, loves listening to Lawrence Welk (ugh!!) and can hardly bend over to tie his shoes. Last week he bought a motorcycle. He's crazy!!! With his slow reflexes he's an accident waiting to happen.

Next year when I turn 36 I may just think about getting a used Porsche convertible.

I don't recall the story, but my ex boss told me long ago about his granny and how she lived so long.... her advice "keep moving" Good on ya Lon. And may you have many more grand years ahead of you.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bez

Senior Behavior

Post by Bez »

Lon...why 35 is no age at all...looks like you're a people observer. It would be good to read some of the funny 'goings on' where you live. You tell that freind of yours with the motor bike to fit stabilisers he he he ....

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Fresh Chick

Senior Behavior

Post by Fresh Chick »

35 is a great age to be.... but alas i'm 36 now :mad:

But then again your as young as you feel... have fun, feel good and live long.

Fresh Chick :-6
Clint

Senior Behavior

Post by Clint »

Lon wrote: I find myself at 71 wondering if I act as goofy as some of my peers and if I exhibit any of the same symptoms of stubborness, forgetfulness, physical inflexibility and slow reflexes as many of them do. My conclusion? There must be some kind of mistake about my birthdate.

I concur Lon. Reading what you write here tells me you are youthful in your ability to think.

I hope you are happy to have the experience and wisdom gained in 71 years while you seek the strength and energy of youth.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Accountable

Senior Behavior

Post by Accountable »

Sounds like your having a mid-life crisis. :D Congratulations, only 71 years yet to go!
Sunshine

Senior Behavior

Post by Sunshine »

Lon, my hats off to you. Aging is just a state of mind they say. As for me, I think 30, look 50 and am still able to run rings around most of the people my age, (which is closer to the last number I wrote) and most of the younger people I know as well. The secret to a long enjoyable life is not to let your age in years convince you that you can no longer do what you want to do just because everyone else thinks you are too old. When you have the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance. :-6

Return to “Senior Share”