Have to go to the body shop for new parts...

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Last week I went to an orthopedic doctor due to the arthritis in my hip and knees. You know you are in trouble when he pulls up your hip X-Ray, whistles under his breath and says "Wow..look at that". So any way..it seems my left hip is a pretty normal 53 year old hip. My right, on the other hand, appears to have been to hell and back. Twice. There is not cartiledge left, and the bone is wearing now. So, in for new parts. At least they have recently discovered that a woman's bones are different from a mans, and have developed replacement hips just for us. Less problems.

I will have to wait a few months though, as I need to loose more weight before he will do the surgery. He said it would make the surgery and my recovery time easier.

For the time being, I get to have a cane, water therapy and Vicodan. What a combination.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Marie, I'm really sorry to hear this. But at least you now know what's wrong and it can be fixed. I have two good friends who are both having to have hip replacements very soon. I have only just read that about the different sized replacement joints for women. That only seems like common sense, eh?

I envy you with the Vicodin. Enjoy some for me, ok? ;) And keep us up to date with how it's going.

:yh_hugs:yh_hugs:yh_hugs
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Will do Red. I am actually not thrilled about the meds. Last time I had to take them I got all sleepy and groggy and could not function for anything. The doctor said to just cut them in half then.
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

My missus may be facing the same ordeal one day soon. I hope all goes well for you.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:-4 I hope you feel better soon, Marie.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Marie my lovely i totally sympathise with you. Perhaps all the years you have been caring for the elderly & disabled have caught up with you & your body. This may be a sign to start looking after yourself my girl :-4
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Yep, time for some me time. Will still be a few months. I have to take off more weight. He said the surgery and recovery would go better.

A friend of my husband's called today, and Rick asked him about it, as he had a hip replaced early this year. He said initially it is not bad, but once he had to start moving again, and re teaching his muscles to adjust to the new hip, it was painful. But I will survive.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Majenta, this is all new to me also. I do know that it is just recently that they have developed a replacement hip just for women. The size fits us better. That is a good thing.
zinkyusa

Post by zinkyusa »

Good luck Marie.:-4
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

So, I picked up my new cane yesterday. It is blue. Now I have to figure out how to use it. It is helping my walking, I can tell already.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Good deal Marie! Whatever works for you.

My friend painted her cane. It's vivid blue with all different colored animals and flowers on it and then she coated it in iridescent glitter coat. It's gorgeous. Maybe you need to fix yours up to match your sparkling personality!! :-4

I'm glad it's helping you!
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Oh Red..I have all kids pf plans to aquire quite a collection. I even want to look for one with Mickey on it when I go to Disney World.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Hey, a Mickey came would be neat!!

I've seen some really pretty ones online from Mexico. I'll see if I can find that place again so I can show you. :)

Return to “Senior Share”