How to grow older without feeling old

Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

How to Grow Old Without Feeling Old

Your First great-grandchild

As you sit in the hospital waiting room, waiting for the baby to be born, you think back to the day when you had your first child. Now, here you are, looking forward to your first great-grand child. It's amazing how time flies, and looking back can leave you feeling old! But just because you've got several decades behind you doesn't mean you have to feel old. Here's how to stay young in mind and spirit.

Steps

1. Keep age in perspective. Never think of age as being anything but just a number. There are some things in life we have no control over, such when we were born. Age is no more than a circumstantial detail, like the color of your eyes, or the names of your parents; it does not define who you are. There are other things that do--those things we do have control over, such as how we think and what we do.

Visit the libraryLive and enjoy each day. There is always something positive or something to look forward to each day. Enjoy the sun shining on your plants, or a movie you are going to see. Look forward to reading a good book, or meeting with friends for lunch. If you feel lonely, go to the library. It is a great place to meet and talk to people who have a similar interest. Surround yourself with people, even if you might never see them again. You can do this at a supermarket, or even a department store or coffee shop.

3. Don't waste your time thinking that you're too old to do this or that. As long as you have your health, you can do just about anything you find an interest in doing. If you have never used a computer, buy one! Learn how to use it. You will find you have brought the whole world into your room. Learn new things and do the things you never had the time to do before.

Learn folk dancingTake care of your body. Take vitamins and eat healthy. Exercise at either a gym or at home. Dance to the music on a CD, as moving your body is great exercise. Get a full physical and visit your dentist at least once a year.

5. Don't look back. Don't worry about what happened in the past. Live just for today. The one thing that no one can change is the past. What has been is over and done with. The future has not yet come, so all we have is today. So enjoy today, let the past go, and plan for the future.

6. Keep your mind alert. Do crossword puzzles, learn a new language, or take up a hobby you were always too busy for. Exercise an Open Mind. Become a volunteer editor on a website like wikiHow or Wikipedia. By volunteering time to a wiki you will meet other contributors online and keep your writing ability sharp, while helping others receive free knowledge.

Keep your mind activeKeep up with the news. By doing this, you always will be able to converse with most people. Be up to date on what is new in politics, fashion, and/or in computers. Learn about the new methods of treatments and the new drugs available so you can advise your family members, who might need the information.

8. Find ways to interact. Even with no close friends or family around, there are many opportunities to talk to new people. Strike up a conversation with people you meet in the supermarket. Greet people you pass on the street, and ask them how they're doing. You'll be surprised at how refreshed offering a kind word to a stranger will make you feel.

9. Stay positive. Try to avoid thinking negative thoughts as it will get you no place except sadness. For example, trying to figure out why a mate died and left you alone will only bring tears to your eyes. Instead, remember all the wonderful years you shared, and how you both brought such wonderful children into this world. Go out with a smile on your face, and enjoy the rest of your life as best as you can. There may even be a new mate on the horizon. You never know!

10. Do something different every day. The local newspapers usually have a weekly schedule of activities. Find one that you would enjoy and go for it! Perhaps the museum or a flower show might tickle your fancy this week.

11. Join a group, club, or volunteer at a library or senior center. Take dancing lessons. Ballroom dancing is back, and just think of how great you would feel dancing the Cha Cha once again, as you did in your youth. Meet with like-minded people, and help those less fortunate than yourself.

Tips

* Continue to do things you used to do -- biking, camping, swimming, dancing, or canoing. You can still do them!

* The difference between a spry "oldster" and a non-spry "oldster" is phenomenal. Stay flexible and sprightly by walking 20 minutes a day and re-think that elevator. Stairs are a wonderful thing. So is yoga class.

Warnings

* See your doctor for a checkup at least once a year. If you don't, you may regret it. Preventative medicine is available, but you can't take it if you don't keep your doctor informed.

SlipStream

Post by SlipStream »

well at 40 I'm not old But I often feel that way.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Lots of good advice there. At 52, I do not feel old. My my body says otherwise.

How do you jiggle what you can physically do, with what you are not supposed to do? And who will do those things for you?

That is what is hard about being older.
SlipStream

Post by SlipStream »

fek, ya as old as the person ya feel :wah:
Lon

Post by Lon »

Good post, and true. I am coming up on 73 and other than my knees getting stiff on me occaisonally, don't feel it or think it. Some of my peers are in Nursing Homes, immobile or sedentary for one reason or another, and others have already died. I feel and look better than the 45 year old doc that examined me last week. I suspect in my case it's the genes. Both my parents were long lived and active. I'm fortunate.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Growing old is mandatory...

Growing up is optional.
sandyakers1948

Post by sandyakers1948 »

indeed thank you
Odie

Post by Odie »

Marie5656;626497 wrote: Growing old is mandatory...

Growing up is optional.

well put.
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Think young.
Peg

Post by Peg »

hoppy;1264517 wrote: Think young.

What my mind tells me and what my body tells me, are two different things. :wah:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

That's true Peg. It takes me an hour in the morning to get the small stiffness or cricks out. But my mind is whirling after about 10 minutes, nothing every slows that down.
rp218

Post by rp218 »

You mentioned very substantial tips here. Thanks for sharing! One way to feel young is to think young, indeed. So it is very advisable for the older people to be as active as the younger people. The older people should keep exploring new things as old age doesn’t mean settling to what is conventional, especially during their generation. One thing that the older people should not hesitate to embrace is today’s technology as this can provide them several benefits. Having a cell phone for instance can help boost and rebuild their social life as this can easily connect them to people.
Lon

Post by Lon »

rp218;1362935 wrote: You mentioned very substantial tips here. Thanks for sharing! One way to feel young is to think young, indeed. So it is very advisable for the older people to be as active as the younger people. The older people should keep exploring new things as old age doesn’t mean settling to what is conventional, especially during their generation. One thing that the older people should not hesitate to embrace is today’s technology as this can provide them several benefits. Having a cell phone for instance can help boost and rebuild their social life as this can easily connect them to people.

I can't speak for all communities but in the community in which I live which consists of 3100 individual homes with an average age of 68, there are very few big bellied or obese folk. Our particular group of seniors play tennis, swim, bike, work out, and participate in a wide range of physical activities. In addition, the majority are hooked up to high speed internet and though the computer skills vary they pay bills online, purchase merchandise, email, bank, invest etc. Unfortunately, many of us look in better physical shape than our children or grandchildren, who though very computer literate, have lost (or never had) the ability to communicate one on one other than through texting or Facebook. :-2

Return to “Senior Share”