Whiteys Lindy Hoppers .. Hellzapoppin'

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm so absolutely & utterly in awe of these dancers' physical strength, energy and rhythm. I'm spellbound!

This was posted in the comments: "That's Whitey's Lindy Hoppers  in the movie Hellzapoppin. They were a dance troup from the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem. The fella in the overalls is Frankie Manning. He choreographed this piece. Frankie just passed away this spring one month short of his 95th birthday. Thousands of dancers from around the world came to NYC to memorialize him. The only surviving member is Norma Miller, she's the one dancing with the chef."
spot

Post by spot »

I hadn't realized how long it was since I last watched that film - it's right up at the top of the finest bits of mayhem ever laid down on celluloid. It's magic.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Why do older movies get sped up like that? I'm not taking anything away from the performers, they make their white counterparts of that era look amateur in comparison.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

I think if you check the film itself you'll find the clip isn't sped up out of realtime significantly if at all. That's how they performed it on stage.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Music”