Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

I have listened to many bands over the years, and one of the highlights of any gig or concert for me is a good drum solo. So I propose posting videos of exceptionally good drum solos here.

My initial offering:

spot

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by spot »

I'm not sure I can do videos. I could bring to mind Cosy Powell though, from the perspective of heavy rock, and Dave Mattacks when thinking of superlatives - not given lightly to solos but I've been on my feet when he's chosen to indulge his audience.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The only one I can think of Is something my eldest brother thought as being awesome In It's day... Ginger Baker drum solo called Toad.

Ginger Baker drum solo - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

spot;1372265 wrote: I'm not sure I can do videos. I could bring to mind Cosy Powell though, from the perspective of heavy rock, and Dave Mattacks when thinking of superlatives - not given lightly to solos but I've been on my feet when he's chosen to indulge his audience.

The first for you:

I love towards the middle when they start playing the last part of the 1812 Overture! An excellent Cozy Powell drum solo.
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

spot;1372265 wrote: I'm not sure I can do videos. I could bring to mind Cosy Powell though, from the perspective of heavy rock, and Dave Mattacks when thinking of superlatives - not given lightly to solos but I've been on my feet when he's chosen to indulge his audience.

And Part Two:

This is part 1 of 3 (4, actually, but the fourth is kind of short).
spot

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by spot »

I've several regrets, one's never having seen Mr Powell play on stage. Another's not being at the Albert Hall to see Deep Purple In Concert - I did catch Ian Paice stretch a solo a couple of years later in Leicester but missing the Concerto For Group And Orchestra was unfixable.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

oscar;1372278 wrote: The only one I can think of Is something my eldest brother thought as being awesome In It's day... Ginger Baker drum solo called Toad.

Ginger Baker drum solo - YouTube

An excellent solo from his Blind Faith days. How about a father/son duet? :D

Oscar Namechange

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Just remembered another one... Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang - Best drum solo of the world - YouTube
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

Thomas Lang is a great drummer! As a matter of fact, his style of playing reminds me of a drummer I know here in the local area.

Here's another great. I remember seeing ELP in 1973 when they were on their Tarkus tour.

-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

How does he keep up with all those drum sticks?

That looked hard, Carl! :yh_hypno
Lon

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by Lon »

I play Bongos quite well and will dig up one of my Latin Bongo Specials and post. Does that count as a drum solo?
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

Lon;1372308 wrote: I play Bongos quite well and will dig up one of my Latin Bongo Specials and post. Does that count as a drum solo?

Sure! Bongos are drums too, after all! :)
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

Most of the posted videos by the drummer in my next submission, Jon Hiseman of Colosseum fame, are between 8 and 12 minutes long. So as not to hammer you with extremely long submissions, I found this one which is only 4 minutes long:

spot

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by spot »

I hesitate to post this. It could almost be subtitled "girls just want to have fun". It's the nearest I can see on YouTube to a clip showing Keith Moon's ability to make things happen to a drum kit while his brain was elsewhere - in this case, recalling lyrics.

Keith Moon
-kg-

Drum Solos, Anyone?

Post by -kg- »

I'm not complainin', spot...especially when that video leads me to this (too bad it's not an actual video):

Return to “Music”