Domestic Violence. Is the message clear?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
koan

Post by koan »

When I first watched this video I felt it glamourized bad relationships.

I know what the intention is; to make people think about it.

I suppose it's more effective than just telling people not to let others beat on them... lectures don't go over well with the young 'uns. It seems to me that the drama loving side of teens will actually find themselves attracted to the angry young man though.

Nilva said the video is especially potent because of Eminem's and Rihanna's personal histories with violence or abuse. "Eminem's history is ...as someone who sings a lot about violence," she said. "And Rihanna's experience [is] as someone who was abused by Chris Brown."

That history, she added, is what will make people look at the video and see "that the message is not 'Don't you want a relationship like mine?' The message is a warning sign."

An article from MTV discussing the video
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Cool video. I really like the primal beat and sound of rap. The female singer looks soo much like my youngest daughter.

Unfortunately, by the time adolescents are exposed to this they are already desensitized to violence so the impact is minimal. OTOH, it would seem to me to be counterproductive to expose those who have not experienced violence to it anyway. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Some satire along the same lines.

YouTube - Fistful of Love
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
koan

Post by koan »

There's a great parody of eminem's song for those that haven't been exposed yet :p

Boogalette

Post by Boogalette »

I do like the original video. I think that teens will not read the right message though, I think they will see the `glamor`in have a relationship like that. idiotic, I know. Maybe I don`t give teens enough credit.

I LOVE the parody! that was so adorable!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I was a victim of 'Domestic Abuse' by my ex husband. I married him In my early teens, way way too young, and stayed with him for 13 years. I was hospitalised over 30 times and those were just the serious Injuries, cuts, broken bones, concussion.

So why does a woman stay with a man that she Is terrified of and spends her life with him spending every waking minute treading on eggshells? Some can not understand this so here Is my answer for what It Is worth.

Imagine you husband or wife looks Into your eyes and tells you they love you. Not for one nano second would you have any doubt that what they had just said was true.

Now Imagine the man you love looking Into your eyes but this time he says ' If you ever leave or go to the police, I will track you down and kill you'...

Some people say about a wife In my position that she got the strength to leave him. That Is not true, It Is not about finding strength. It Is about being so beaten and feeling so worthless, that If he finds you and carries out his threat, then death Is better than the hell you are living In alive.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Post by koan »

They also have a way of convincing you that no one else will ever tell you they love you so take what you can get.

The glamourizing part is that teens would rather have a story to tell then be just like everyone else. It's like cutting. If they feel out of control in their life, they welcome pain because it's something and starts out as something they can control.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

koan;1337362 wrote: They also have a way of convincing you that no one else will ever tell you they love you so take what you can get.

l.
Your right there. I got out and not only survived but met the man of my dreams and we have been married now for some years.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Post by koan »

Avril Lavigne has a lyric in a lesser known song that says "I'd rather be anything but ordinary please" hence some young people's attraction to violence.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It's possible theres less to it than that. As much as we refuse to admit it, we're animals with primal type animal tendencies which may be driven hormonally.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Music”