Get 'The Stranglers' back In the Charts for their 5th decade...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The Stranglers are a British institution they’ve been around since 1974, before most of you were born probably, or when you were a kid. We’ve all grown up listening to their songs, you might not be a massive fan of their work but I bet you’re familiar with their hits.

On 22nd February The Stranglers are releasing their first single of the new decade “Retro Rockets”. It will be available as a download single. The sound is unmistakably that of The Stranglers.

The purpose of this group is to get them back in the charts for their 5th decade of hits. You may not be a massive fan but these guys are an institution.

The Stranglers Official Website

Enter the link for a preview of the rehearsal.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Hugh Cornwell has been touring solo for quite a while now.

He recently landed in my town and put on an awesome show. Mostly Stranglers Hits. I had tickets but had to bale due to a work situation but my partner ( who's originally from Kent England) saw the show. His band and the music people raved about for months.

Hugh's recent solo music "Hooverdam" i can't say i like much. "The

Pleasure of Your Company" drives me NUTS!:eek:

It will be nice to see The Stanglers back together, see if they can match what they did in the past. I just loved them!

Here's one of their lighter , more traditionally layered works. Guess what it's about?

YouTube - The Stranglers - Golden Brown
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291755 wrote: Hugh Cornwell has been touring solo for quite a while now.

He recently landed in my town and put on an awesome show. Mostly Stranglers Hits. I had tickets but had to bale due to a work situation but my partner ( who's originally from Kent England) saw the show. His band and the music people raved about for months.

Hugh's recent solo music "Hooverdam" i can't say i like much. "The

Pleasure of Your Company" drives me NUTS!:eek:

It will be nice to see The Stanglers back together, see if they can match what they did in the past. I just loved them!

Here's one of their lighter , more traditionally layered works. Guess what it's about?

YouTube - The Stranglers - Golden Brown
Back together??? :wah: the Stranglers have never disbanded.

Thanks for posting and glad to see fans In Canada where they have toured In the past regually.

The Original line up changed only slightly when Hugh Left. Paul Roberts replaced Hugh Cornwell with the addition of John Ellis who I would say was the greatest guitar I have ever seen. After 15 years, Paul Roberts left The Stranglers to concentrate on his new band, 'Soul Sec'.' Sadly, John Ellis left shortly after Paul. The other 3 are still the originals, Jet Black, Dave Greenfield and Jean Jaques Burnel. Paul Roberts was replaced on vocals by 'Baz Warne' who If my memory serves me correctly briefly stood In whilst Hugh Cornwell was In prison In the 80's.

I have also seen Hugh on his solo tour and to be honest I thought he was lacking something... mainly the rest of The Stranglers. You can take a Stranglers track to pieces but only The Stranglers could put It back together. Having said that, I have seen JJ Burnel on his solo tours and found him awesome.

Hugh Cornwell was In my opinion Irreplacable when he left and It took me years to come round to Paul Roberts as his replacement. Now, I believe Paul Roberts and John Ellis on leaving cost the Stranglers big time.

This was the best Stranglers Concert i have ever attended. Paul Roberts on vocals, John Ellis on lead guitar, JJ Burnel on bass, Jet Black on drums. Add to that a stringed Orchestra and The Royal Albert Hall acoustics. Freakin Awesome !!!

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Hi Oscar!

After visiting the site you posted i realized Hugh wasn't part of the lineup.:yh_doh

I'm really not aware of the last 20 yrs, since i stopped paying attention.

My interest waned after they released Aural Sculpture and 10 I admit. Just when Cornwell left.

But yes, some Canadians have a "Dark" soft spot for the Stranglers.

We have one of their banners, with The Stranglers motif hanging up in the basement.
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291774 wrote: Hi Oscar!

After visiting the site you posted i realized Hugh wasn't part of the lineup.:yh_doh

I'm really not aware of the last 20 yrs, since i stopped paying attention.

My interest waned after they released Aural Sculpture and 10 I admit. Just when Cornwell left.

But yes, some Canadians have a "Dark" soft spot for the Stranglers.

We have one of their banners, with The Stranglers motif hanging up in the basement.
The Greatest Hits that The Stranglers had during the peak of their careers In the 70's and 80's were all Hugh Cornwell vocals ( A few were JJ Burnel lead vocals) so on hearing any Stranglers track on radio and TV, It's most likely to be Hugh Singing.

I totally agree about 'Aural Sculpture'. That had to be the worst album they made along with 'Dreamtime'.

The Greatest albums were made during Hugh's reign, 'The Raven' being my all time favourite.

Tell me... What is on your banner? The Rat or The Raven?
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Thanx for that Video Oscar. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

I have a crush on JJ Burnell, and the keyboards are irreplacable.

Hugh tours without them mainly and his shows do seem a bit empty without them. That's why i wasn't too upset when i couldn't go.

You're a total DieHard fan! :yh_worshp

Did You see the Moody Blues a Royal Albert Hall too?
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

oscar;1291778 wrote: The Greatest Hits that The Stranglers had during the peak of their careers In the 70's and 80's were all Hugh Cornwell vocals ( A few were JJ Burnel lead vocals) so on hearing any Stranglers track on radio and TV, It's most likely to be Hugh Singing.

I totally agree about 'Aural Sculpture'. That had to be the worst album they made along with 'Dreamtime'.

The Greatest albums were made during Hugh's reign, 'The Raven' being my all time favourite.

Tell me... What is on your banner? The Rat or The Raven?

The Raven is on our banner. Blood red on Black.:yh_devil

I tried to get my son to hang it in his room but no go.

He's into Ramstein!!!
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291779 wrote: Thanx for that Video Oscar. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

I have a crush on JJ Burnell, and the keyboards are irreplacable.

Hugh tours without them mainly and his shows do seem a bit empty without them. That's why i wasn't too upset when i couldn't go.

You're a total DieHard fan! :yh_worshp

Did You see the Moody Blues a Royal Albert Hall too?
I've had a crush On Jean Jaques Burnel since I was 14 years old :wah:

Greenfields keyboards always seemed reminiscent of The 'Doors' to me.

No... never saw The Moody Blue's.. That's more my husbands taste.

This Is my husbands favourite Stranglers track that we dedicated to former Prime Minister Tony Blair.:sneaky: Hugh Is the vocals In this one. JJ just looks as he always does... too hot :wah:

Amythest

Post by Amythest »

[QUOTE=oscar;1291784]

This Is my husbands favourite Stranglers track that we dedicated to former Prime Minister Tony Blair.:sneaky: Hugh Is the vocals In this one. JJ just looks as he always does... too hot :wah:

Oh the MOCKERY! :yh_cowboy

Yea, BIG good times!:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291791 wrote: [QUOTE=oscar;1291784]

Yea, BIG good times!:yh_rotfl brilliant mockery Indeed. you can see the sarcasm oozing out of Hugh :yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291791 wrote: [QUOTE=oscar;1291784]

Yea, BIG good times!:yh_rotfl I will show this Video that I doubt you have seen In Canada. The band talks of the origins of 'Golden Brown' and the whole episode Is a hoot. However,

EXTREME CAUTION

BAD LANGUAGE AND FEMALE NUDITY IN THIS VIDEO

YouTube - The Stranglers - Top Ten Punk Bands

I have warned you !!
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

Amythest;1291791 wrote: I will show this Video that I doubt you have seen In Canada. The band talks of the origins of 'Golden Brown' and the whole episode Is a hoot. However,

EXTREME CAUTION

BAD LANGUAGE AND FEMALE NUDITY IN THIS VIDEO

I have warned you !!

Oh yes I am so thoroughly disgusted with the fact they lied about the meaning of the song Golden Brown! Bondage, ozone, TOAST?:yh_rotfl

That shook me to the core! Made me want to "TAR" n feather em all.:sneaky:

The exotic dancers had REAL boobs. That just isn't right!?

So Oscar You really started somethin. I guess us "old" gals are sittin here reminiscing. Before the responsibility, the bills and stilettos hadn't caused bunions yet.

I just watched a live performance of Midnight Summers Dream ( Athens 85). Brunell was bare chested, swaying about, pumping his legs, then started banging his bass in the end causing feedback.

I nearly wet my drawers!

YouTube - the Stranglers - Midnight summer dream / European female

Time to load up the cd Player and light the candles for my aging "Rock Star!":yh_tong2
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1291805 wrote: Oh yes I am so thoroughly disgusted with the fact they lied about the meaning of the song Golden Brown! Bondage, ozone, TOAST?:yh_rotfl

That shook me to the core! Made me want to "TAR" n feather em all.:sneaky:

The exotic dancers had REAL boobs. That just isn't right!?

So Oscar You really started somethin. I guess us "old" gals are sittin here reminiscing. Before the responsibility, the bills and stilettos hadn't caused bunions yet.

I just watched a live performance of Midnight Summers Dream ( Athens 85). Brunell was bare chested, swaying about, pumping his legs, then started banging his bass in the end causing feedback.

I nearly wet my drawers!

YouTube - the Stranglers - Midnight summer dream / European female

Time to load up the cd Player and light the candles for my aging "Rock Star!":yh_tong2
Midnight Summer Dream.. an excellent choice. This video Is also of MSD but If you don't want to see the whole thing again.... fast forward to the last 45 seconds or so. JJ banging that bass is just so worth the watchand why Burnel Is rated as the worlds finest bass guitarist. A piece of trivia for you... Last year 'Peaches' was voted the best bass guitar rift ever by the music Industry.

I get quite emotional with MSD... My father had died and he used to sit up half the night watching the rain. And he used to bend my ear. :wah: I have to say that I thought 'European female to be the worst single they ever produced. Taken from the 'Feline' Album, which I really did not enjoy. There Is one track called 'Never Say goodbye' that I loved but over-all the album was dissapointing and JJ must have been insane to let his then girlfriend 'Anna Von Stern' any-where near the backing vocals on 'Paradise.'

Did you know JJ Burnel is now a 15th Dan In martial arts? Hence that body of his :wah: Oscar swoons and heads for the cold shower.
Amythest

Post by Amythest »

I just thought i'ld let you know My man got home in a pissy mood last night and it killed the buzz. Plus I'm still sick :( and he needs to be healthy to work.

Back to the JJ videos!!:yh_rotfl

I don't care for "European Female" either . I just liked watching JJ on that video.

You really do know everything about The Stranglers!

I really enjoy kicking back with music and the lighter side. It keeps me from being sucked into the serious( religion, politics, finances) too much.

Thanx for the sharing!:-6
Oscar Namechange

Amythest;1292009 wrote: I just thought i'ld let you know My man got home in a pissy mood last night and it killed the buzz. Plus I'm still sick :( and he needs to be healthy to work.

Back to the JJ videos!!:yh_rotfl

I don't care for "European Female" either . I just liked watching JJ on that video.

You really do know everything about The Stranglers!

I really enjoy kicking back with music and the lighter side. It keeps me from being sucked into the serious( religion, politics, finances) too much.

Thanx for the sharing!:-6
No... THANK YOU !!!. It's a joy to find an Over-sea's fan. In the late 70's and 80's my brother and I regually hitch hiked all over Europe to see them also Iceland when they played. I never got to the US or Canadian gigs though sadly.

Sorry to hear your sick. It's why I've been on here for the past two days, I'm also un-well today.

I have actually met the Stranglers and hate to say this but JJ is a Kitty Kat and a Perfect gentleman.

As you probably saw In the linkj, the Stranglers are touring right now and I will be seeing them.

Hope you feel better soon.

Return to “Music”