Portuguese Music Dulce Ponte with Andrea Bocelli

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'd like to share some of the beautiful Fado music with you that I first heard on my trip to Portugal about 8 years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting a Portuguese musician, Dulce Pontes, a few times in Portugal and in Noo Joisey. Hope you enjoy her music....

From Wikipedia...

Fado (translated as destiny or fate) is a music genre which can be traced from the 1820s in Portugal, but probably with much earlier origins. In popular belief, fado is a form of music characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor. However, in reality fado is simply a form of song which can be about anything, but must follow a certain structure.

Some enthusiasts claim that fado's origins are a mixture of African slave rhythms with the traditional music of Portuguese sailors and Arabic influence.

YouTube - O Mare e Tu - Andrea Bocelli & Dulce Pontes
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Dulce Pontes....cancão do mar

YouTube - dulce pontes cancão do mar

YouTube - Dulce Pontes - Lagrima
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy, I have that on a CD in my car-Andrea Bocelli & Dulce Ponte singing. I adore AB and I love that selection. I didn't realize it was Portugese. Thanks for posting that-I'll look into more by Dulce Ponte
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1214982 wrote: Kathy, I have that on a CD in my car-Andrea Bocelli & Dulce Ponte singing. I adore AB and I love that selection. I didn't realize it was Portugese. Thanks for posting that-I'll look into more by Dulce Ponte

WOW Zapata,

You are the 1st person that I know who has heard of this song. Have you listened to Amalia Rodrigues? She's like the "Queen" of Fado music :wah:

I felt so blessed to have met Dulce.

Here's Amalia....

YouTube - Amália Rodrigues - Lágrima

YouTube - Amália Rodrigues "Gaivota" Live
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

Im listening to the first one you posted now Kathy:)im liking it:D:-6

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1214984 wrote: WOW Zapata,

You are the 1st person that I know who has heard of this song. Have you listened to Amalia Rodrigues? She's like the "Queen" of Fado music :wah:

I felt so blessed to have met Dulce.

Here's Amalia....

YouTube - Amália Rodrigues - Lágrima

YouTube - Amália Rodrigues "Gaivota" Live

I just listened to Amalia-ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! Such a rich voice and yet so wistful. Como se dice "Fado" en ingles? It's not "anger' is it?

I may have to buy some of her music as well as Dulce's.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

:wah: Oops. My mistake-"Fado" would be Portugese, not Spanish, my mistake.

Thank you for posting the info. I'm always happy to hear a new (to me) style of music. Ahh, so much music, so little time.
sharedfastlane

Post by sharedfastlane »

Kathy Ellen;1214980 wrote: I'd like to share some of the beautiful Fado music with you that I first heard on my trip to Portugal about 8 years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting a Portuguese musician, Dulce Pontes, a few times in Portugal and in Noo Joisey. Hope you enjoy her music....

From Wikipedia...

Fado (translated as destiny or fate) is a music genre which can be traced from the 1820s in Portugal, but probably with much earlier origins. In popular belief, fado is a form of music characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor. However, in reality fado is simply a form of song which can be about anything, but must follow a certain structure.

Some enthusiasts claim that fado's origins are a mixture of African slave rhythms with the traditional music of Portuguese sailors and Arabic influence.

YouTube - O Mare e Tu - Andrea Bocelli & Dulce Pontes

Mmmmm made me feel shivery, very nice, thank you. The first song's video was quite luscious too.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I found the case for my cd-Andrea Bocelli-Sogno. It has the translation for all the songs, including O Mare E Tu. Now I can sing along with the two of them. :-6
Bez

Post by Bez »

I'm a HUGE fan of Andrea Bocelli.....I'm just going to investigate your link....thanks :-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Bez

Post by Bez »

Have just watched the Youtube clip. I have this song in the SOGNO CD.....lovely
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hello Kaz, Zap, Shared and Bez....I'm glad that you like the Fado music. I adore Bocelli. My friend gets ticket to see him every year. I'm going to make sure that I go next time to his concert. He performs quite often in Noo Joisey.

I love the Fado music...it is so haunting. Dulce Ponte is a wonderful performer. I've seen her in concert 3 times now...once in Portugal and twice in NJ. She now has her wee son playing the guitar on stage:D
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks so much for calling my attention to Dulce Ponte. I didn't have a chance to look for other things by her today but maybe this weekend. How sweet that she's got her son performing with her.:)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1215645 wrote: Thanks so much for calling my attention to Dulce Ponte. I didn't have a chance to look for other things by her today but maybe this weekend. How sweet that she's got her son performing with her.:)

Oh Zapata,

Thank you so much for taking an interest in my thread about Dulce Ponti.

My family had tickets to see her in concert in Noo Joisey in September, 2001....shortly after the "911 attack." Needless to say, she had already cancelled due to her pregnancy....

When we saw her in concert a few years later, her wee boy who must have been about 6 yrs. old, just pranced onto the stage, sat down, and played beautiful music on his guitar...mega amazing...

I especially love her "Lagrimas" cd....

Have you ever listened to Nana Mouskouri...You might like her if you like Dulce.

~~just an aside ~~ do I know you in another life~~
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks again Kathy for Nana. I just Googled her website and I will definitely buy her music.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Here's Nana Mouskouri with Harry Belafonte singing "Try to Remember" HB discovered her in Greece.

YouTube - NANA MOUSKOURI and HARRY BELAFONTE - TRY TO REMEMBER

and this is her now....I like this better than the one above...

YouTube - Try to remember /// Nana Mouskouri

I've met Nana a few times at her concerts in NY. She greets everyone after her show. She's a class act....
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

One of my all-time favorites. From The Fantasticks, no?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1216122 wrote: One of my all-time favorites. From The Fantasticks, no?

What's from the Fantastics....haven't seen this show...:confused:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1216271 wrote: What's from the Fantastics....haven't seen this show...:confused:

Sorry-Try to Remember is from the Broadway show The Fantasticks. Love it!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1216288 wrote: Sorry-Try to Remember is from the Broadway show The Fantasticks. Love it!

Oh thanks for that Zapata...I just googled the show and realized that it was Andy Williams singing that song. I lubs him and didn't know he sang that song.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Yeah, me too. I've got a 45 & an album with Andy singing it, both of which I've copied to a disc. and cassette. So, I'm all set, no matter where I am. My Jag is a relic (20 yrs. old but pristine) It doesn't have anything but a radio & cassette player. It did have a built-in phone, however.:)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

">

name="allowFullScreen" value="true">YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. http:>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

See, It still doesn't work for me Spot and Dubsy....I did exactly what both of you said, and it's not working....

Kathy Ellen is taking a temper tantrum and tapping her foot....know I have to call my teckie guy, but he'll be here for 5 hours...:(:-1
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

It's a fado morning here. There are two Amalia Rodrigues songs on the Cafe Portugal CD, Kathy - Fado Lisboeta and Fado Alfacinha.

I was lucky enough to get to a performance in Lisbon last November. The singer I liked best was Yola Dinis and I have a CD of her songs - now on my iPod (with the Cafe Portugal music) - and I'll play those today as we drive.

Thank you for this great thread.

I love fado. I love the real flamenco too, just as raw and visceral. A bit like the old man with the uillean pipes sitting on a rock gazing at the Atlantic waves and wailing out the sorrows of humanity.

A dark place. But music brings sunshine. Like laughter and friendship.

:-6
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

;)AussiePam;1216848 wrote: It's a fado morning here. There are two Amalia Rodrigues songs on the Cafe Portugal CD, Kathy - Fado Lisboeta and Fado Alfacinha.

I was lucky enough to get to a performance in Lisbon last November. The singer I liked best was Yola Dinis and I have a CD of her songs - now on my iPod (with the Cafe Portugal music) - and I'll play those today as we drive.

Thank you for this great thread.

I love fado. I love the real flamenco too, just as raw and visceral. A bit like the old man with the uillean pipes sitting on a rock gazing at the Atlantic waves and wailing out the sorrows of humanity.

A dark place. But music brings sunshine. Like laughter and friendship.

:-6
Thanks Pam....I love the tape that you've given me...I'll try to see if I can put up some of the songs on youtube...

Have a safe trip Pam...I lubs ya:-4
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1215997 wrote: Here's Nana Mouskouri with Harry Belafonte singing "Try to Remember" HB discovered her in Greece.

YouTube - NANA MOUSKOURI and HARRY BELAFONTE - TRY TO REMEMBER

and this is her now....I like this better than the one above...

YouTube - Try to remember /// Nana Mouskouri

I've met Nana a few times at her concerts in NY. She greets everyone after her show. She's a class act....

OMG!! I just listened to Nana and Harry. That is absolutely gorgeous!! So rich, perfect! Thank you so much for posting that. I'm a fan, already.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

It's was a short trip. I'm already back. Grin. I have a close girlfriend who is a big big fan of Nana Mouskouri and we went together to a concert in Canberra when Nana was in Australia in 2006. Amazing.

What do you think of this? By Enigma... Romy discovered it at work and sent it to me..

YouTube - Enigma - Mea Culpa

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1217154 wrote: It's was a short trip. I'm already back. Grin. I have a close girlfriend who is a big big fan of Nana Mouskouri and we went together to a concert in Canberra when Nana was in Australia in 2006. Amazing.

What do you think of this? By Enigma... Romy discovered it at work and sent it to me..

YouTube - Enigma - Mea Culpa

I'm glad that you like Nana, Pam. She is a lovely woman and still has an amazing voice.

I adore the Portuguese cd that you gave me and listen to it all the time.

I'm going to listen to Enigma as soon as I turn my desktop on.....I can't load youtubes on...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh thank you Pam...I loved "Mea Culpa." I'll have to look into more music by Enigma....

.......lovely, haunting music...;)
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I'm tend to enjoy the masterbethoven more.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Kathy Ellen;1217234 wrote: Oh thank you Pam...I loved "Mea Culpa." I'll have to look into more music by Enigma....

.......lovely, haunting music...;)

I'd never struck them before, Kathy - Romy said they are German but they are here singing in French.. I must watch it again.

I think I preferred Nana Mouskouri when she sang in Greek.

I'm still slightly in Greek mode here. My aquarobics ladies' book club (:sneaky:) had as our last read a recent novel by Cristos Tsiolkas called 'The Slap'. It was a very confronting exposition of cultural clashes in Australia. The author is a Greek Aussie, so I've been - when life permits - trying to explore Greekness here.. okay I'm off on a tangent.. sorry.. um back to Portuguese music. :-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Pam, I love those songs. Thank you for posting them..:-6

Here is a video of Nana singing "Comme un soleil." I played this song for my 6th graders one year. They loved this song so much that we sung it at the end of everyday as we packed up to go home....There were a few other songs of hers that I'll try to find....

YouTube - Nana Mouskouri - Comme un soleil 1981

YouTube - Nana Mouskouri - The White Rose of Athens

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

And...sorry I'm digressing right now...but if you like Dulce, Amelia and Nana...you might like......

Jane Olivor....I've gone to many of her concerts...She's wonderful...

YouTube - VINCENT (Jane Olivor)

YouTube - Jane Olivor - Some Enchanted Evening (Live Version)

YouTube - Johnny Mathis & Jane Oliver - The Last Time I Felt Like This
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1217582 wrote: Oh Pam, I love those songs. Thank you for posting them..:-6

Here is a video of Nana singing "Comme un soleil." I played this song for my 6th graders one year. They loved this song so much that we sung it at the end of everyday as we packed up to go home....There were a few other songs of hers that I'll try to find....

YouTube - Nana Mouskouri - Comme un soleil 1981

YouTube - Nana Mouskouri - The White Rose of Athens

YouTube - Nana Mouskouri - Fidaki (a cappella)

Kathy Ellen, that is sooo beautiful! Somethings about it reminded me of Edith Piaf. Thank you for posting it.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Zapata;1217869 wrote: Kathy Ellen, that is sooo beautiful! Somethings about it reminded me of Edith Piaf. Thank you for posting it.

Oh, I'm so glad you like Nana, Zapata:-6
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Aussie Pam has just sent me some Fado music.....Haven't heard of this singer before...love her.

YouTube - CRISTINA BRANCO : FADO !!! : a Minha Casa

This music just makes me cry. It's so heart wrenching:-4
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

That is sooo beautiful. Thanks for posting.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I agree Zap...I wish more people would cop on to Fado music. It's so beautiful.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Dulce Pontes - Fado Português

Return to “Music”