Classical music ......your favourite?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I like Chopin very much for piano, Vivaldi for violin. Bach's 2 and 3 part inventions are my daily friends, with a sonata or two from Mozart. That is usually all I have time for anymore, but am looking forward to summer for a return to Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto to really finalize that part before the end. I have worked on that piece off and on for a few years, I do not know how to post the youtube links to them or I would so you could hear that piece.

My list would be endless, my music books piled high from the years as I peruse them when I can. But they will come out this summer, I will have two students for piano to keep me busy......:) I have not done that for a long time, but one little girl in church has always been musically inclined since she was about 9 months old. She could always clap her hands in time to the music, I gave her a little baton one year when I directed the orchestra, she was on the mark so often from just listening. She is 5 or 6 now, her mother asked me to teach her, I think I will like that very much. I will be quite interested to see what she knows already, and help her learn to play the traditional way too. My other student is about 13, and wants to expand what he has picked up, and learn chords and all. And he will start with Bach......:)
librtyhead

Post by librtyhead »

I like Handel.........water music .........it reminds me of boats, paddles, ladies with hats.............damn I gotta pee now!:-3

I remember being in the car with my Granparents and my Grandad got sick Grandma was pissed that he puked in his new hat she said "Dammit Floyd not in your new hat!"

But we were listening to Haydn and I think the farm animals had something to do with it.............my 2 yr old can tell the difference between the pig and the cow and dances like a hobbit when he hears it (he does a great horse)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Mozart's Piano Concerto 23 Adagio

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

This is such a good topic, FB.

Here's another favorite of mine which I posted elsewhere recently.

It's Ravel's Gaspard de la Nuit..."Le Gibet."

It's morbidly beautiful and yet if depression had a soundtrack, this is what it would sound like to me.

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks Terri, have never heard your choice before but it's beautiful and I shall add it to my list of favourites.

I love piano music, Chopin & Liszt especially, I also like Elgar's Cello Concerto and his violin concerto, Bruch's 2 violin concertos but I usually listen to opera excerpts for relaxation and one of my main favourites at the moment is Placido Domingo singing Una Furtive Lagrima from L'Elisir d'amore

spot

Post by spot »

I have a wee problem.

The man who introduced me to classical music was my music teacher when I started secondary school (that means when I was eleven, for those who don't use the term). Bill Sykes, he was called, very Victorian in many ways. Quite a few of my teachers actually were Victorian, one having been an Artillery Officer in the First War for example, but Mr Sykes was way older than him by decades being trapped into teaching into his eighties by a lack of State Pension. Anyway, one week we were Appreciating Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade and I mentioned there was a non-orchestral version. Bring it in, he said. Bring it in I did and he played three minutes, wincing violently at the proto-Rock treatment. He wasn't impressed.

Anyway, my wee problem. I went onto the Internet to find this piece to post here and I failed and the reason I failed is that I've mis-remembered something. I don't even know what it is that I've mis-remembered. Talk about frustration.

My theory, which is wrong, is that it had been released as the B-side of "Hoots, Mon!" by the House band of Oh Boy (I realize none of these words will strike chords with anyone here but never mind). I even have a picture of them:

but I checked, when I couldn't find a copy. They never released a version of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. The band's called Lord Rockingham's XI and they simply didn't do it. Someone did, I know that because I took it into school and horrified the teacher with it, but it wasn't Lord Rockingham's XI. I can hear it in my head and it even sounds like Lord Rockingham's XI (which is probably why I thought it was them doing it). What's more, Lord Rockingham's XI really did do proto-Rock treatments of bits of classics - they did one which turned into Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Nutrocker" for example, though I know they weren't the first to do it.

So, my problem is that I can't produce this arcane piece of music history for the thread until I discover who recorded it. Someone please tell me who it was.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh my spot, I am laughing at your tale of your music selection for the teacher. The 13 year old tried to impress me first with musical selections off of video games-some are pretty decent as far as sound and impression, some are well, made for them. So I told him to take the Zelda one, and come back with a printed version with something to illustrate what he was playing. Ha-he came with 3 levels, and I selected the hard one with octaves playing the melody-might as well learn how to play them, stretch those digits a little for exercise. And yes he is working on them, not a easy as he thought, and I will take that example and work from there into chording.....I have no idea where the piece you played came from though, it sounds intriquing.:)
spot

Post by spot »

Fuzzy, I think from what I can see on - dare I call them fansites? - that chap was the producer, I'm not sure he ever recorded anything himself. chonsigirl;845716 wrote: I have no idea where the piece you played came from though, it sounds intriquing.:)It's taken a while to untangle. For one thing yes, this was Appreciate Rimsky-Korsakov Day but no, it wasn't from Scheherezade. It was from his opera Sadko, "The Song of the Indian Guest". That information comes from tapping the melody into http://www.musipedia.org which is very useful on these occasions. It sold in large numbers in a version by Tommy Dorsey, which is close but not quite close enough to what I had. I can't find what Ted Heath And His Orchestra did with it but I'd bet a pint that's what I had a copy of.

Not finding Ted Heath And His Orchestra is a blessing in some ways. What I found instead is a delicate interpretation by Thelonious Monk. I'm sure Bill Sykes would have preferred this one. It's at http://www.tuzic.com/monk-music/p-1.htm (there's no registration needed, just click Listen beside "Song of India").
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

I have Song of India on a CD but it's a version by Tommy Dorsey & his Orchestra, it's on a CD entitled "Jazzing the Classics" (Vintage Style), the label is ASV the CD number is CD AJA 5339,(www.asv.co.uk). I bought it in 2001 so not sure if it's still available, it's quite a good listen, not too jazzy for my taste!:D
spot

Post by spot »

chocoholic;845925 wrote: I have Song of India on a CD but it's a version by Tommy Dorsey & his OrchestraI've always enjoyed the big bands especially those from that time. The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra still plays but I've never noticed that they ever tour England. I'll love to see them on stage if they did. Hearing Cab Calloway and Adelaide Hall on stage was one of the great performances I managed to get to, he still had a lot of his original band with him and the two of them were still enrapturing the audience. They really looked like they were pleased to be there too, that might be part of the charm.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I have the"Westminister, The Legacy" CD. On it are the "1812 Overture" by Tchacikovsky and my favorite "Sheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov. The music is performed by the Vienna State Opera Orchestra, Conducted by Hermann Scherchen. Ths info may help you google and find the CD.

Thanks for sharing the music.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
spot

Post by spot »

Does the piano excite anyone as a solo instrument? The double CD which this piece is from is one of the few I've bought twice so I'd have a copy to lend. Well, and because the first copy was lost under a car seat for a year too and I was frustrated at not having it. I had the vinyl of the final quarter of the pieces when I was leaving school. Finally getting the whole thing was an experience.

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

[QUOTE=spot;846456]Does the piano excite anyone as a solo instrument? The double CD which this piece is from is one of the few I've bought twice so I'd have a copy to lend. Well, and because the first copy was lost under a car seat for a year too and I was frustrated at not having it. I had the vinyl of the final quarter of the pieces when I was leaving school. Finally getting the whole thing was an experience.QUOTE]

Yes, I love the piano but I'm not keen on Stockhausen, as I said I love Chopin and Liszt, have to say that this piece of Chopin moves me more than your Stockhausen!:thinking:

Artur Rubenstein isn't too shabby either, this was his last recital at the age of 89!
spot

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;846477 wrote: So what is it? some kind of rhapsody or something?The piece is one of fourteen entitled "Piano Piece". I'm sure people will still be playing that for as long as they're playing Bach. The sleeve notes are worth finding too, if you ever get the chance, as an insight into the creative process.

Thank you Choc, that Rubenstein at 89 is inspiring.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;845734 wrote: Fuzzy, I think from what I can see on - dare I call them fansites? - that chap was the producer, I'm not sure he ever recorded anything himself. It's taken a while to untangle. For one thing yes, this was Appreciate Rimsky-Korsakov Day but no, it wasn't from Scheherezade. It was from his opera Sadko, "The Song of the Indian Guest". That information comes from tapping the melody into Musipedia: Musipedia Melody Search Engine which is very useful on these occasions. It sold in large numbers in a version by Tommy Dorsey, which is close but not quite close enough to what I had. I can't find what Ted Heath And His Orchestra did with it but I'd bet a pint that's what I had a copy of.

Not finding Ted Heath And His Orchestra is a blessing in some ways. What I found instead is a delicate interpretation by Thelonious Monk. I'm sure Bill Sykes would have preferred this one. It's at http://www.tuzic.com/monk-music/p-1.htm (there's no registration needed, just click Listen beside "Song of India").How close is this one from the version you were searching for? Gimnazija Kranj Symphony Orchestra on Great Christmas Concert 2010 in Cankarjev dom (Gallus Hall).Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade - op.35 - YouTube
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

RedGlitter;845674 wrote: Mozart's Piano Concerto 23 Adagio

This one is one of my favorites as well...

I also have grown to absolutely love chorale music. It reminds me of when I was a child and I'd walk across the marble floor of the church I'd attend every Sunday with my family. I'm not particularly interested in the religious aspect of the hymns but I do love the music. Does anyone have a favorite?
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;1384903 wrote: How close is this one from the version you were searching for?

The one I had in mind was as close as spit to as a recording can get.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My favorite is Horowitz playing Mozart.

Piano Concerto 23 1st

Horowitz plays Mozart piano concerto 23 1st movement - YouTube
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
-kg-

Post by -kg- »

I've personally always been partial to those orchestrations which stir the stronger emotions in me. While all music stirs emotions, I've always been partial to Tchaikovsky (with a significant tip of the hat to Bizet). While the "1812 Overture" is certainly one of my favorites, my all-time favorite is "Francesca da Rimini"

Some time back I found an excellent rendition of it as performed by the "Teresa Carreño" Youth Symphony Orchestra, Manuel López Gómez (Conductor). Caracas-Venezuela. The raw emotion these young people pour into their music is tremendous.

By the way, it's fairly easy to find Parts 1 and 2, but it isn't so easy to find Part 3. You'll need to look at the side bar to find it. To miss the finale just wouldn't do!

FvhqMZF1Yzg
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I think I've stumbled upon a more than successful tactic in ridding my immediate environment from the equally horrific screeching of the most inconsiderate and rude birds I've ever witnessed thus far in my time spent here on Earth...

It's this website 100 Greatest Classical Choral Works
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Nice find
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Music”