Dan Fogelberg Dies at 56- Prostate Cancer

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

December 17, 2007 - 1:13PM

Dan Fogelberg, the singer and songwriter whose hits Leader of the Band and Same Old Lang Syne helped define the soft-rock era, died today after battling prostate cancer. He was 56.

His death was announced in a statement by Anna Loynes of the Solters & Digney public relations agency, and was also posted on the singer's website.

"Dan left us this morning at 6am. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," it read.

"His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."

Fogelberg discovered he had advanced prostate cancer in 2004. In a statement then, he thanked fans for their support: "It is truly overwhelming and humbling to realise how many lives my music has touched so deeply all these years. ... I thank you from the very depths of my heart."

Fogelberg's music was powerful in its simplicity. He did not rely on the volume of his voice to convey his emotions; instead, they came through in the soft, tender delivery and his poignant lyrics.

Songs like Same Old Lang Syne - in which a man reminisces after meeting an old girlfriend by chance during the holidays - became classics not only because of his performance, but for the engaging storyline, as well.

Fogelberg's heyday was in the 1970s and early '80s, when he scored several platinum and multiplatinum records fuelled by such hits as The Power of Gold and Leader of the Band, a touching tribute he wrote to his father, a bandleader. Fogelberg put out his first album in 1972.

Fogelberg's songs tended to have a weighty tone, reflecting on emotional issues in a serious way. But in an interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in 1997, he said it did not represent his personality.

"That came from my singles in the early '80s," he reflects. "I think it probably really started on the radio. I'm not a dour person in the least. I'm actually kind of a happy person. Music doesn't really reflect the whole person.

"One of my dearest friends is Jimmy Buffett. From his music, people have this perception that he's up all the time, and, of course, he's not. Jimmy has a serious side, too."

Later in his career, he would write material that focused on the state of the environment, an issue close to his heart.

Fogelberg's last album was 2003's Full Circle, his first album of original material in a decade. A year later he would receive his cancer diagnosis, forcing him to forgo a planned tour.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Thank You Dan.

I AM AWESOME MAN
Daewood

Post by Daewood »

Fantastic artist-did he have children? I think this was his second marriage
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:-1 To young to go, what a talent may he rest in peace.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

It's really scary to have cancer. Some of us die soon, some of us die a little later, some of us survive. I have one more year to be cured.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Music”