Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by spot »

I have a real puzzle with this one.

The start of Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut" sounds very reminiscent of John Prine's "Sam Stone", recorded eleven years earlier.

What I can't work out is whether both are based on a hymn I'm not familiar with. There has to be some reason for the correspondence. The tune's identical, the theme's similar and the instrumentation is too alike to be coincidence.

I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by koan »

Floyd

sorry, spot :rolleyes:

eta: you said "vs" that makes it a competition
spot

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by spot »

koan;488443 wrote: Floyd

sorry, spot :rolleyes:

eta: you said "vs" that makes it a competitionIt's an English convention. I despair on occasion. It's pronounced "and" in context.

I like John Prine which, I recognise, indicates a lack of taste on my part.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by koan »

spot;488450 wrote:

I like John Prine which, I recognise, indicates a lack of taste on my part.

agreed ;)
BabyRider

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by BabyRider »

spot;488439 wrote: I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion.

Thank God you specified "opinion"!! I am a true Floyd PURIST. Queensryche did a song called "Silent Lucidity" that sounds VERY "Floyd-ish." No comparison to the real band, though.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

spot

Pink Floyd vs John Prine

Post by spot »

BabyRider;488469 wrote: Thank God you specified "opinion"!! I am a true Floyd PURIST. Queensryche did a song called "Silent Lucidity" that sounds VERY "Floyd-ish." No comparison to the real band, though.
Had the Pink Floyd track come out first I'd have not even thought about the coincidence. It's the fact that John Prine's version is eleven years earlier which has me asking. Neither track's a cover of the other but they're very linked somehow.

Arnold, I'd not have heard "Sam Stone" either except it was on an amazing Atlantic sampler I bought. It was full of goodies, including Yes' "America" which still leaves me dumbstruck.

And, now I remember, Buffalo Springfield's "Where Ya at, Mule". They don't make albums like that any more.

Return to “Music”