Stradivarius's Secrets? BUG control?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

From a daily newsletter....who knew?

Three hundred years ago, Antonio Stradivari (1644-1737) set the standard for violin craftsmanship. Now scientists say they've discovered the secret to his instruments' sublime sounds: pest control.

Using the latest high-tech imaging techniques, Joseph Nagyvary and his colleagues analyzed wood shavings from five 18th-century instruments--including a Stradivarius violin and cello, and a violin made by Giuseppe Guarneri (Stradivari's main competitor in virtuoso violin-making). They found that wood from both Italian masters' "acoustical marvels" had been "brutally treated by chemicals."

Nagyvary thinks the master-craftsmen boiled their wood in chemically treated water to protect it against scourges like woodworm and fungi. And he thinks this pest-control practice altered the acoustical properties of the instruments they ultimately made. Now he hopes to figure out exactly which chemicals the masters used, with an eye toward enabling modern violin makers to mimic their process.

That may prove difficult. After all, Stradivarius shavings are hard to come by. Fewer than 700 of the instruments still exist, and the last one sold at public auction fetched $3.5 million. What's more, many experts doubt that 18th-century wood treatments are really the secret of Stradivari's success. Previous researchers have offered lots of alternate explanations--from where he got his wood, to the types of glue he used, to environmental conditions in Italy way back when. Each has ultimately proved wanting.

This much we know. The modern violin evolved during the Renaissance, from earlier stringed instruments such as the medieval fiddle, which varied in size, shape, and number of strings. It soon became a favorite of composers, musicians, and audiences alike. Around 1700, Stradaveri and others innovated its design, changing the violin's proportions and establishing a standard that "luthiers" (stringed instrument makers) have aimed for practically ever since.

--Steve Sampson
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

About a year ago, I heard a young virtuoso on FM radio play a Strad, live, in the studio. Even though I was listening to it on the kitchen radio, what with it's plastic speakers and all, it was still magnificent. I had chills down my spine.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Yes...there's something about the old instruments.....
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Very interesting article.

I've never heard a Stradivarius to my knowledge but I am familiar with the stories. I prefer to think it's a mystery we'll never know. :)
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Very interesting story. I do think it was his special technique and little changes to structure that make them sound the best. My violin is patterned after one of his, and is a lovely, bright violin to play. :)

Return to “Music”