Long running DIY project...

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Exactly 1 year ago we decided to re-vamp our downstairs shower room which we put in when my Mum lived with us (she couldn't get upstairs). The idea was to make it into a small cloakroom....toilet and handbasin, which would give us an extra 3 feet in the kitchen...sorry I'm rambling....anyway....all the major work and decorating was done and the new toilet and basin bought...the basin is fixed in place. All that needs doing is to plumb it all in and rehang the sliding door....trouble is, a gas pipe needs moving and hole for the waste made in the walls....hence the project is NOT finished. During the removal of one stud wall the kitchen ceiling managed to get a hole in it and the upstairs bathroom floorboards got taken up. None of this has been made good, and my other half sais he just has'nt got the time. I've offered to pay for a professional but he doesn't trust anyone but himself to do the job....we're going round in circles.

What was/is you longest running DIY project ???? Please tell me it was more than 12 months...I'll feel better then.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
abbey

Post by abbey »

My back bedroom has never been decorated and i've been in the house 7

years, the bottom half of the walls are stripped & plastered, the top still

has the old paper up and there's a small hole in the ceiling.

Also the door has never been hung so when you go to the bathroom you

can see what a mess it is.

I am so ashamed. :o
Bez

Post by Bez »

Sounds like we need to call 'DIY SOS'..

Valerie100

Post by Valerie100 »

Well, let's see here -- and I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you but...

20 years ago, my father started to redo my bedroom when I was a teenager. I got married and moved out, and the project was never completed. It was the same with my brother's room, and then it was my parent's room. When Dad died, Mom ended up selling the house as a fixer-upper with uncompleted projects all over the place. Dad did beautiful work and was good with home improvement. He just never fully completed anything -- except for the living room, dining room and kitchen.

I would put the fire under my hubby if I were you -- it seems his priorities are elsewhere right now -- or take matters into your own hands, because a day turns into a week, a week turns into a month, a month turns into a year, etc., etc. And then you're left just as my Mom found herself.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Valerie100 wrote: Well, let's see here -- and I hate to be the bearer of bad news for you but...

20 years ago, my father started to redo my bedroom when I was a teenager. I got married and moved out, and the project was never completed. It was the same with my brother's room, and then it was my parent's room. When Dad died, Mom ended up selling the house as a fixer-upper with uncompleted projects all over the place. Dad did beautiful work and was good with home improvement. He just never fully completed anything -- except for the living room, dining room and kitchen.

I would put the fire under my hubby if I were you -- it seems his priorities are elsewhere right now -- or take matters into your own hands, because a day turns into a week, a week turns into a month, a month turns into a year, etc., etc. And then you're left just as my Mom found herself.

I'm OK with the decorating..I do it all...I can do a bit of bricklaying too, but plumbing and electrics...not able to do this...

Return to “Home Management”