Clearing Drains with a Snake

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Hi everyone. I just learned something from our plumber, which, had I known before, would have saved me $369.00.

I had a clogged bathroom sink and because we have a plug in the sink (the kind you pull the little handle up in the back of the fosset to close the drain) I couldn't get our snake down the drain to clean it out. I couldn't remove the trap below the sink either because the former owner welded it on :mad: The reason I couldn't get the snake down was it had this coil thing at the tip of it and it couldn't get past the little metal lever inside the drain that pulls the plug closed (I hope that make sense).

Anyway... the plumber showed me how to get around that. The snake is rapped inside this large plastic head (where it coils around a metal ring). The plumber pulled all 10' of the snake out, turned it around and wound it back in. The opposite end of the snake has no coild on it. He bent the end a bit and now it passes down the drain easily. I tried it in the tub and it works well.

I hope that made sense :-3
abbey

Post by abbey »

Poor ruddy snake!!

pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

My snake ended up in my neighbours garage - he was not impressed.
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Too bad he didn't show you first instead of charging the $300+, but I guess everybody needs to make a living. Saved you from future charges, though!
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

Ooh, good advice! Thanks! One day when I graduate from using an unwound coathanger and draino to grown-up tools I am going to remember that and save myself a call to a plumber.
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

Too bad he didn't show you first instead of charging the $300+, but I guess everybody needs to make a living. Saved you from future charges, though!

Plumbers are NEVER that nice unfortunately :(

Return to “Home Management”