Geez - I'm a housewife again

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I never thought this would happen. I used to be good at it. Today I found myself doing all the old things again - shopping, cleaning, cooking and cooking some more, caretaking the home front. I worked for so long I forgot what it was like to be at home doing the things I really like to do. It's so very nice to have the time. I have to say I missed it. The garden will start coming in - in a month or so and I can do the canning I love to do - maybe even enter the State Fair this year - I took blue ribbons for my pickles and jams for 5 years straight 17 years ago. So the question is ladies and gents........is it a job or not to keep a household. :)
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

what do you like to can? i like stewed tomatoes and tomato juice. dilly beans.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. :yh_beatup
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I can tomato's, pickles, jams, jelly's, green beans, anything I can grow. It gives me great pleasure. I was at home with my kids until they went to school - hard work - always something to do. Anyone who says being a stay-at-home- Mom is not hard work is sooooo full of Sh*t. Those babies are always on the move!!!

I put up 570 jars of home canning for 4 years in a row. I never worked harder in my life. We ate well.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Peg

Post by Peg »

[QUOTE] So the question is ladies and gents........is it a job or not to keep a household.

Oh heck yeah!
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I think so too. I've been busier than I ever was when I had a job.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

This topic is right up my alley....

For the last 14 years I was a workaholic. Now that the baby is here, we've opted to drop me to part time (if that) and I only work 2 days a week so we don't have to put her in daycare or get a babysitter. So, I consider taking care of the household my job as well. I thought I might get a little stir-crazy when the time came, but so far, have really enjoyed having the time to take care of my home and my little one. I thought I would be able to keep a spic-n-span home, but that hasn't happened either, but my house has never looked better (I considered a maid at one point because I was never home to clean this time 1 year ago)

Anyway, a lot goes into running a household and keep things running and I am loving my new job. My part time job is just my entertainment so to speak now.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

And as for canning, I would like to learn how to do that as well. My grandmother did a lot of canning and my other grandmother made the best salsa EVER.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
valerie

Post by valerie »

I love, love LOVE being a homemaker. It's what I really like to do.

The only realy drawback is... there's no retirement age! :D

So I take my "retirement" in bits and pieces as I go, like today was

gorgeous weather, mid 80's, so I spent some time on the deck with

my feet up and a good library book.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Agnes

Post by Agnes »

nvalleyvee wrote: I never thought this would happen. I used to be good at it. Today I found myself doing all the old things again - shopping, cleaning, cooking and cooking some more, caretaking the home front. I worked for so long I forgot what it was like to be at home doing the things I really like to do. It's so very nice to have the time. I have to say I missed it. The garden will start coming in - in a month or so and I can do the canning I love to do - maybe even enter the State Fair this year - I took blue ribbons for my pickles and jams for 5 years straight 17 years ago. So the question is ladies and gents........is it a job or not to keep a household. :)

we cannot let this thread go away. i have a complete schedule of this stuff too. i don't get outside really at all, so gardening and lawns are done by the in-laws, hope they live a long time. inside you name it. nvalleyvee we love dilly beans, which are pickled green beans, excellent in salads and of course bloody marys. they require the hot water bath and no pressure cooker like some veggies do. Tomato and Juice are hot water boil on top of the stove. isn't it all fun, and healthy for the mind and body! go girl. Strawberrys are in now & some asparagus left. YUM.
minks

Post by minks »

It is and it isn't a job. Raising children and caring for the home I dont' think is a job persay. Put it sure is work, and rewarding as all heck. I have done both as well and being that I am not a self motivator, being out of the house at a "job" is better for me. I can out lazy anyone teee hee hee
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

Agnes wrote: what do you like to can? i like stewed tomatoes and tomato juice. dilly beans.
Shut up and get my tea on the stove, woman!!!

SEriously,now, yes it is certainly a job and if somebody works there is no way they`ll be able to keep the house up to scratch, too, unless they make serious inroads into their personal time.

Good luck to you, nvalleyvee, and good luck with the housework!
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

no problem would U like some arsenic in it too or do you take it on the side in your biscuits. :-6
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

Far-Rider i just like to laugh? laughter is FREE! being a housewife can be a male or female. someone has to keep the fort? thank god life isn't like the old days when you had to keep the fire going and wash laundry by hand. OMG.
Agnes

Post by Agnes »

T-Toes, strawberries freeze better than canning. we eat them fresh picked. any idiot can buy "freezer" bags, clean & mash berries? NOW they are in season, freeze them. OKAY! its easy.

Return to “Home Management”