What would you do?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

We have a small mortgage, if we sold the house and moved further north where property is cheaper we could buy outright and be mortgage free.

pro's -

We love the scenery further north and its closer to places Andy likes to dive, we have some friends up north and a nephew.

con's -

It would be 3 hours of travelling back and forth work for Andy, i would lose all my clients and have to start again from scratch. Both my daughters live less than 10 mins walk from me.

Your thoughts please.
Betty Boop

What would you do?

Post by Betty Boop »

buttercup;1260522 wrote: We have a small mortgage, if we sold the house and moved further north where property is cheaper we could buy outright and be mortgage free.

pro's -

We love the scenery further north and its closer to places Andy likes to dive, we have some friends up north and a nephew.

con's -

It would be 3 hours of travelling back and forth work for Andy, i would lose all my clients and have to start again from scratch. Both my daughters live less than 10 mins walk from me.

Your thoughts please.

Oooh interesting one, is that three hours every day? I would think he'd tire of that pretty soon. If the mortgage you have now is not too much of a problem I'd stick that one out I think.
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Yes it would be an hour and a half 'approx' each morning and each night of a work day.
CARLA

What would you do?

Post by CARLA »

The commute daily would kill it for me time spent driving back and forth is a waste of time in my book. Being close to family and having a short commute is a huge plus. If you wouldn't have time to enjoy the scenery up north whats the point, but then again its your choice. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1260522 wrote: We have a small mortgage, if we sold the house and moved further north where property is cheaper we could buy outright and be mortgage free.

pro's -

con's -

Your thoughts please.Are your daughters children or adults?

An hour and a half to and from work everyday I can only imagine is ungodly. We're talking EVERYDAY! It's not so bad in the first two months but by the end of the third month I was incredibly sick of driving only 50 minutes! I can't imagine 40 minutes to add!

Give it a thought. Do you sincerely hate living where you're at now, bills or no bills?

I'd suggest if you're both extremely unhappy then anywhere else would be better but I can't think you are given your daughters.
kayleneaussie

What would you do?

Post by kayleneaussie »

Over here its very common for people to have long commutes to work.

Depends on your husbands age.

I moved more west towards the country in my mid 30's.......I went from a 10 min walk to work to a 2hour to 2 hour back 5 days a week.

I never regretted it as we had no morgage as housing was cheaper and I was closer to my mum and dad at the time.

Hubby was in his 50's and he also travelled the same amount as me.

Now I dont work as I foster and hubby works local.

So I would be thinking does he have to travel that far for the rest of his working days and be ok with that.

I would move :D
FOC THREAD PART 1
abbey

What would you do?

Post by abbey »

The thought of owning outright must be pretty enticing but what is the market like for hairdressing in the scenic place?

You giving up your client base that is possibly paying your mortgage now and moving and having no work would mean you would be in the same boat til you got on your feet.

Carla's right in saying that the 3 hours travelling would mean that Andy wouldn't have as much time to spend enjoying the area and He'll probably be too knackered to anyway!
el guapo

What would you do?

Post by el guapo »

if ya move north ya will never afford to move back south again
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Interesting answers, thanks guys. I'll try to answer your questions now.

Carla - there's always the option of a job in that area or a possible transfer nearer but yes being close to family is a huge plus.

K. Snyder - My daughters are grown up, both have their own flats nearby, none of them have children of their own yet but that is something i think about, would be handy to be near them to help out when that is the case, then again its only an hour and a bit drive hmmm.

We are perfectly happy living in this area, in saying that i have been here in this house just over 20 years and so a change seems good as well.

kayleneaussie - Andy is 44, if we have no mortgage to pay he could take a cut in hours or go for a lower paying job with little effect.

Abbey - My income is used for mostly entertainment, concert tickets, take aways, movies and such like. I doubt the market would be as good for hairdressing in a scenic place but in saying that i only work part time anyway, i have 3 large dogs to care for and being a bit more rural would certainly be better for them. If Andy has to stay at his present job, yes, it would be hard going on him.

El guapo - That's true, good point.

Keep them coming guys, enjoying your responses. :-6
Peg

What would you do?

Post by Peg »

My daughter has spent the last 15 months driving an hour to school, and an hour home from school. She didn't mind the drive at first. Now she is really looking forward to having 10 hours back each week when she finishes next month. With that long of a drive, you have to consider gas, the wear and tear on the car, etc.
Nomad

What would you do?

Post by Nomad »

Im not qualified to answer.
I AM AWESOME MAN
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1260601 wrote: K. Snyder - My daughters are grown up, both have their own flats nearby, none of them have children of their own yet but that is something i think about, would be handy to be near them to help out when that is the case, then again its only an hour and a bit drive hmmm.

We are perfectly happy living in this area, in saying that i have been here in this house just over 20 years and so a change seems good as well.

:-6

Then follow your lovely heart mine Beautiful! it couldn't house a wrong choice! :yh_wink
Oscar Namechange

What would you do?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

pro's -

con's -

Your thoughts please.
You've had great advice already BC.

I was in a job for 12 years where I had to commute and I swear I aged 10 years. looking back, It was awful. When we First moved to Bristol, I carried on commuting back to Sussex every day except sunday. Depending on traffic, it was a 5 hour round trip every day. Sundays, all I was fit for was sleeping. We had a far bigger house then and I did It for the money also but in the end I couldn't carry on. Some days If I worked late, i would book into the local B & B because I knew that 6 hours after I had got home, I'd be getting up to go back again. I became very Irritable and Ill doing It. I would not reccomend It personally.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

pro's -

con's -

Your thoughts please.

Thousand here make long commutes everyday, some up to 4 hours there and back, they say its well worth it for a much nicer/larger home, much cheaper and they are out in the country where its quiet, no concrete city, screaming kids, barking dogs, police and fire sirens, society's outcasts, less line-ups in stores, car insurance is much much cheaper than in the city, your property tax's are also much cheaper as well as numerous other things.

A friend of ours lives 90 minutes away and does that twice a day, he gets home around 7 pm and he says its worth it just for the scenery, peace and quiet.

Just remember the wear and tear on your vehicles, repairs and gas.

If you can afford to pay them, then go for it.
Life is just to short for drama.
Jazzy

What would you do?

Post by Jazzy »

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain :)
abbey

What would you do?

Post by abbey »

Jazzy;1260884 wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain :) Good post! :-6
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jazzy;1260884 wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain :)

Twenty years from now they can still move - they're not planning to throw everything in and have a complete change of lifestyle.

I'd wait - not twenty years but put the money you save on the transport and the extra you earn from having an established clientèle to paying off the mortgage and use the extra time that living close gives you to give you more quality time together then think about moving when you are not so tied to working where you live now.

You can always reverse commute to the countryside for the weekends until then.
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

I think they moved.....she hasn't come back here.:sneaky:
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1261256 wrote: Twenty years from now they can still move - they're not planning to throw everything in and have a complete change of lifestyle.

I'd wait - not twenty years but put the money you save on the transport and the extra you earn from having an established clientèle to paying off the mortgage and use the extra time that living close gives you to give you more quality time together then think about moving when you are not so tied to working where you live now.

You can always reverse commute to the countryside for the weekends until then.

Would you want that drive in 20 years?

I wouldn't.
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1261261 wrote: Would you want that drive in 20 years?

I wouldn't.

By then they would be in a position to move their jobs along with their home - no need to drive then.
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

Bryn Mawr;1261263 wrote: By then they would be in a position to move their jobs along with their home - no need to drive then.

not many jobs in the country.
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

Jazzy;1260884 wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain :)

By the very same concept couldn't we say that one of things "we" didn't do would be that "we" didn't decide to stay when staying would have been extremely better?

I think as much!
mikeinie

What would you do?

Post by mikeinie »

I do not think that you can look at this from the financial perspective. This is a live style choice decision; the home mortgage is just a part of the decision.

A 3 hour daily commute is not practical; the time travelling will take away from the time and energy that makes the place enjoyable in the first place.

In this case it cannot be the question of having both worlds, you will need to leave one world behind and start again, if that is what you want then it sounds fantastic, I am sure it will be a beautiful life style.

One question you should ask, in 10 years time do you think that you would regret doing it, or not doing it?
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

I don't know Mike, i've been in this house over 20 years, if i stay another 10 i'll likely always be here, do i want to spend the rest of my life here = No but its a nice place to live, i've no complaints.

Perhaps the solution is a change of house but stay in roughly the same area and likely have a bigger mortgage, its a tough one.
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1261348 wrote: I don't know Mike, i've been in this house over 20 years, if i stay another 10 i'll likely always be here, do i want to spend the rest of my life here = No but its a nice place to live, i've no complaints.

Perhaps the solution is a change of house but stay in roughly the same area and likely have a bigger mortgage, its a tough one.

Perhaps you could use a vacation for a week or so?
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

K, thats a fabulous idea, maybe once the madness of xmas is past and have a think about it whilst chilling out on holiday. Perfect :-6

Edit to add - Why does everything always come down to spending more money? :wah:
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1261369 wrote: K, thats a fabulous idea, maybe once the madness of xmas is past and have a think about it whilst chilling out on holiday. Perfect :-6

Edit to add - Why does everything always come down to spending more money? :wah:

Funny how people are extremely happy with it:thinking:, yet miserable without it:thinking:, yet SPEND IT!!!!!!!! :yh_rotfl :yh_wink
cars

What would you do?

Post by cars »

Years ago when I was younger I used to commute close to 2 hours a day O/W! Don't know what the weather is like there by you. But in the wintertime here in NE, for at least 4 months is when it snows, & or ice storms. And that 2 hour drive, then turns into sometimes 4, 5, even 6 hours O/W!!! Something to definately consider.

But the biggest plus for staying where you are is, living close to your children. You really don't realize what a good thing that is, untill they live far away! It happened to us, as our grandson & his family moved far away due to his father's job relocating. We miss them everyday. Your case is not that bad. It's only an hour & a half away, but it still could turn out to be a problem when/if you had to make frequent visits for whatever reason. Again, something to really consider. Good Luck, in whatever you decide.
Cars :)
chonsigirl

What would you do?

Post by chonsigirl »

Stay near family, that is my biggest regret moving far away from them. If I could do it over again, I would have never moved here.
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

This is the house that started all this thinking, what do you guys think of it?

Attached files
abbey

What would you do?

Post by abbey »

How lovely! :-6

That reminds me of pinky's house.
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1261544 wrote: This is the house that started all this thinking, what do you guys think of it?

Beautiful - ex school?
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1261544 wrote: This is the house that started all this thinking, what do you guys think of it?

I can see why you want to move to the country.

Its beautiful and very stunning!:guitarist
cars

What would you do?

Post by cars »

Lovely house, but hugging walls, is just not the same as hugging loved ones! :wah:
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Bryn - Gate house to an estate.

Cars - Yes, your right.

Ok everybody after much thought we are staying put for the time being but i want you all to guess the price of the house.
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1261993 wrote: Bryn - Gate house to an estate.

Cars - Yes, your right.

Ok everybody after much thought we are staying put for the time being but i want you all to guess the price of the house.

340,000 pounds?
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

If its ok with you K i will let a few more answer then put up the price. ;)
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1261993 wrote: Bryn - Gate house to an estate.

Cars - Yes, your right.

How much land with it?
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Just a very large garden.
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1262100 wrote: Just a very large garden.

Difficult to tell how big it is from the photo' but I'd guess two bedroom?

A beautiful as it is, in an isolated location, I'd guess at about £200K
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Yes two bedroom and a small store / office type room.
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

The suspence is killing me, i have to tell you :wah:

£100,000.
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

K.Snyder;1262002 wrote: 340,000 pounds?

Bryn Mawr;1262104 wrote: Difficult to tell how big it is from the photo' but I'd guess two bedroom?

A beautiful as it is, in an isolated location, I'd guess at about £200K

You guys must think i'm loaded to be able to pay that and be mortgage free, me and Andy are just your Joe and Jean Bloggs type :D
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1262111 wrote: You guys must think i'm loaded to be able to pay that and be mortgage free, me and Andy are just your Joe and Jean Bloggs type :D

Buy it, put it on a low loader and replant it down here and you're looking at half a mill of anyone's money
buttercup

What would you do?

Post by buttercup »

Maybe now you see why i went off on one thinking about it. ;)
Bryn Mawr

What would you do?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

buttercup;1262113 wrote: Maybe now you see why i went off on one thinking about it. ;)

Saw that from the photo'
Odie

What would you do?

Post by Odie »

buttercup;1262110 wrote: The suspence is killing me, i have to tell you :wah:

£100,000.

awesome!

have you had it inspected?

is there much wrong?
cars

What would you do?

Post by cars »

buttercup;1262113 wrote: Maybe now you see why i went off on one thinking about it. ;)
Yes I certainly do. That's why I moved a 2 hours away drive from work, because of us buying a beautiful "big" house! However, after a few years of commuting back & forth to work every day, one doesn't get used to it, one begins to really hate it! Ofcourse, that was just me! :wah:
K.Snyder

What would you do?

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1262002 wrote: 340,000 pounds?

buttercup;1262111 wrote: You guys must think i'm loaded to be able to pay that and be mortgage free, me and Andy are just your Joe and Jean Bloggs type :D

Sorry, I completely mixed both of the monetary values up.

My guess was roughly 170,000 pounds. I always think that pounds is roughly half of dollars but it's not quite. Also I mixed up which was actually more.

I was close though, 170,000 pounds.
aarontodd

What would you do?

Post by aarontodd »

don't sell the house yet :) do a comparison first of your travel and mortgage expenses.

Return to “Home Management”