Ants

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
cogob
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:39 am

Ants

Post by cogob »

We are getting ants indoors, they seem to be coming up from under the floor boards. They are the common British black ant.

We are unable to lift the floor boards as we have only recently had them put down and are the 'tongue and groove' type (oak and cost a fortune).

As we have a cat we cannot put down anything too toxic.

Has anyone any suggestions...
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Ants

Post by Peg »

I don't know if they sell it over there, but here we have stuff called Terro. I swear by it. You put a drop on cardboard, stick in in a couple of corners of the rooms where you see ants. They take it back to the nest. Within a few days, you are free from ants. I find it in hardware stores here.
FUBAR
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:33 am

Ants

Post by FUBAR »

Get some ant killer from B&Q. You have to get the queen ant not just the workers. It is possible they are coming in from outside, if you see any nests the old kettle of boiling water usually does t he trick.
farmer giles
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 am

Ants

Post by farmer giles »

i have an aadvaark that i will rent out as you can see i'm not ant isocial :)
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14725
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Ants

Post by G#Gill »

Peg;1202165 wrote: I don't know if they sell it over there, but here we have stuff called Terro. I swear by it. You put a drop on cardboard, stick in in a couple of corners of the rooms where you see ants. They take it back to the nest. Within a few days, you are free from ants. I find it in hardware stores here.


This sounds like 'Nippon' - a syrupy fluid, very sweet and the ants adore it. Put it on a non-porous tile etc. where they run - they take it back to the nest, feed all the others including the queen - as Peg says, it takes a few days for the nest of ants to be destroyed. The plus side is that you don't have nasty powder and bodies all around the place. I would advise 'fencing' the 'Nippon' area off to secure it from animals getting to it as I'm not sure how toxic this is to pets. The RSPCA have said that pets can walk on it, if it is not out of their reach, so to speak, then they lick their paws clean - could be iffy for the pet. But if you can manage to use it, I would recommend the use of it - it has been most successful for me. Be careful using it outside because the rain will wash it away, and also other animals can get at it.

You may find, if you do use it, that it will disappear fairly quickly and if there are still some ants around, renew the drops of 'Nippon'. You only need a couple of drops on each of the main 'runs' each time you 'dose' them.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
farmer giles
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 am

Ants

Post by farmer giles »

G#Gill;1202207 wrote: This sounds like 'Nippon' - a syrupy fluid, very sweet and the ants adore it. Put it on a non-porous tile etc. where they run - they take it back to the nest, feed all the others including the queen - as Peg says, it takes a few days for the nest of ants to be destroyed. The plus side is that you don't have nasty powder and bodies all around the place. I would advise 'fencing' the 'Nippon' area off to secure it from animals getting to it as I'm not sure how toxic this is to pets. The RSPCA have said that pets can walk on it, if it is not out of their reach, so to speak, then they lick their paws clean - could be iffy for the pet. But if you can manage to use it, I would recommend the use of it - it has been most successful for me. Be careful using it outside because the rain will wash it away, and also other animals can get at it.

You may find, if you do use it, that it will disappear fairly quickly and if there are still some ants around, renew the drops of 'Nippon'. You only need a couple of drops on each of the main 'runs' each time you 'dose' them.


i see the ants have a little nip on it :)
User avatar
G#Gill
Posts: 14725
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Ants

Post by G#Gill »

farmer giles;1202210 wrote: i see the ants have a little nip on it :)


Oh gawd.............. Jimbo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
farmer giles
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 am

Ants

Post by farmer giles »

G#Gill;1202212 wrote: Oh gawd.............. Jimbo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:


ant i climax :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Return to “Home Management”