Carpet Care

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Carpet Care

Post by Nomad »

Does anyone own and use a home carpet cleaner ?

Are you satisfied with the results ?

Is there a particular brand you would recommend ?

Is it extremely time consuming ?

Do the carpets stay wet too long after cleaning ?

Are the upholstery and stair attachments adequate tools ?

Is it worth the investment to you ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter
Posts: 15777
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:51 am

Carpet Care

Post by RedGlitter »

We've had several carpet machines, one was a Bissell, can't recall the others. They were better than nothing but for all the effort, money and time involved, the heavy duty machines you rent from the grocery store worked far better. With our own machines, the carpet was moist for about an hour or two, nothing major though. Carpet cleaning formulas vary widely; we last used Doctors and it's okay but I'm looking for something better, especially for homes with pets. The upholstery tools didn't impress me. I don't have stairs. It does take a bit of time to empty the dirt bucket and refill with fresh solution and start on another patch of rug. I have never found the home machines powerful enough.

Again, a home machine is usually better than nothing but I'd rent a store machine or just call the professionals if I had my choice. :)
koan
Posts: 16817
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:00 pm

Carpet Care

Post by koan »

The best carpet cleaner is a knife. Cut that sucker out and put in laminate or other low bacteria options. It's worth the investment to get rid of the environmental hazard.

Over doing it with a steam cleaner is just as bad as not cleaning it. It takes about half a day to dry, if I remember correctly. I used to use a Bissell but I'm glad those days are over.
User avatar
Accountable
Posts: 24818
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:33 am

Carpet Care

Post by Accountable »

We bought a Big Green Clean Machine. The solution pump went out about 30 minutes after the warranty lapsed. Now it's my shop vac, but it's inadequate to do that job because the hose is so small.



Just rent or hire a pro.
User avatar
Sheryl
Posts: 8498
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:08 am

Carpet Care

Post by Sheryl »

I have a Bissell Pro, and it's not really that great. It's ok for spot cleaning when the kids have spilt something. But I've noticed the spots that I've used it, attact the most dirt and look even dirtier within a week.

I would recommend using a professional company. I used a Chem-Dry company not to long ago and loved the results. The carpet was dry within an hour of their leaving.

For upholstery I'd suggest Resolve spot cleaners. Resolve's powder carpet cleaner is good to clean and freshen the carpet when your in a time crunch. It takes a little elbow grease, but gets rid of odors.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Carpet Care

Post by Nomad »

koan;820655 wrote: The best carpet cleaner is a knife. Cut that sucker out and put in laminate or other low bacteria options. It's worth the investment to get rid of the environmental hazard.



Over doing it with a steam cleaner is just as bad as not cleaning it. It takes about half a day to dry, if I remember correctly. I used to use a Bissell but I'm glad those days are over.


You are correct about carpet being a cesspool of bacteria. You would be amazed at the microscopic vermin that burough their creepy antennaed heads in there.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Carpet Care

Post by Nomad »

Sheryl;820696 wrote: I have a Bissell Pro, and it's not really that great. It's ok for spot cleaning when the kids have spilt something. But I've noticed the spots that I've used it, attact the most dirt and look even dirtier within a week.



I would recommend using a professional company. I used a Chem-Dry company not to long ago and loved the results. The carpet was dry within an hour of their leaving.



For upholstery I'd suggest Resolve spot cleaners. Resolve's powder carpet cleaner is good to clean and freshen the carpet when your in a time crunch. It takes a little elbow grease, but gets rid of odors.




Thats why a clean water extraction after using solution is essential. The soap residue captures dirt.
I AM AWESOME MAN
User avatar
CARLA
Posts: 13033
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:00 pm

Carpet Care

Post by CARLA »

Nomad I have purchased many Carpet cleaners none of the work worth a damn. To much work, money, and time. Call a pro and be done with it. For small clean ups just get "Resolve High Traffic Foam" and a brush it works great.

Koan is right just pull up the carpet and put in Hardwood floor or laminates so much easier to deal with. :-5
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

User avatar
venus
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:56 pm

Carpet Care

Post by venus »

I have a VAX and l use it regular, it doesn't sog everythig up and l use it on hte stairs hallway bedrooms. Anywhere l do not have hard flooring, the sofa and chair too.

I would love to just call a pro but having 4 pets with hair in my home mean l am cleaning constantly and just could not afford to get a pro in all the time.

plus my touch of ocd menas that l would probably go over it again anyways...:thinking:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
User avatar
Nomad
Posts: 25864
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:36 am

Carpet Care

Post by Nomad »

rjwould;820706 wrote: I'll sell you a commercial machine I have in my garage, and it will kick ass on anything you can buy probably. The real secret is the chelmicals, Nomad, and I can get you some commercial chemicals too.



BTW-The chemicals are biodegradable and nontoxic.


Rotary or hot water extractor ?

Are you a fan of dry cleaning carpets ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
wildhorses
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:08 pm

Carpet Care

Post by wildhorses »

Nomad;820618 wrote: Does anyone own and use a home carpet cleaner ?

Are you satisfied with the results ?

Is there a particular brand you would recommend ?

Is it extremely time consuming ?

Do the carpets stay wet too long after cleaning ?

Are the upholstery and stair attachments adequate tools ?

Is it worth the investment to you ?


I have a steam cleaner that I use on the carpet. I dont use any chemicals with it....just steam. It deodorizes, disinfects and gets any dust out of the carpet. And because no chemical is used there is no residue left behind. Works much better than chemical cleaning. I do it once or twice a year.

It is actually a wet/dry vacuum. But it has a steam feature. So you shoot steam into the carpet and then vacuum up the wet residue. Takes about an hour to dry on a warm day. In the winter it takes slightly longer. The heat of the steam disinfects and deodorizes. The wet vac brings up any dust and dirt that is ground into the carpet. It works for most spots but if I have a really stubborn spot then I pretreat just the spot with carpet cleaner the day before.
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Carpet Care

Post by sunny104 »

Accountable;820670 wrote: We bought a Big Green Clean Machine. The solution pump went out about 30 minutes after the warranty lapsed. Now it's my shop vac, but it's inadequate to do that job because the hose is so small.

Just rent or hire a pro.


I hate when the hose is too small! :D
qsducks
Posts: 29018
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:14 am

Carpet Care

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;820618 wrote: Does anyone own and use a home carpet cleaner ?

Are you satisfied with the results ?

Is there a particular brand you would recommend ?

Is it extremely time consuming ?

Do the carpets stay wet too long after cleaning ?

Are the upholstery and stair attachments adequate tools ?

Is it worth the investment to you ?


Have wooden floors throughout. And yes, it they stay wet...don't do this horrible job in the dead of summer with the humidity...

Return to “Home Management”