Homesick??

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Victoria

Homesick??

Post by Victoria »

I'm due to move soon and I think I'm getting homesick. I left England nearly 20 years ago and even though I had three small children and a dog to cope with the thought of going off to a different country didn't phase me in the least.

Now due to circumstances I'm going back and although I'm quite excited about the move (I'm ready to leave this house) I just cant help thinking of all the things I will miss and they are silly things like the yearly flower market in town, silly because hubby hates bees so we only have non flowering plants in the garden to "discourage the bees' I will miss my yearly Christmas trip to Germany, the yearly festival in a nieghbouring town, really silly things. I do things or go places and think 'make the most of this its the last time'

I don't get it I haven't left yet and I'm already homesick for a country thats not my birth place, where I don't speak my mother tongue, I have a crappy job and only a couple of casual friends so whats the big deal? :-3

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be glad to hear them.

Pheasy

Homesick??

Post by Pheasy »

Hi Victoria. I'm not sure if we have ever spoken before? My thoughts are not very helpful here, other than to say I understand how you feel. :-4

There will always be things that you will miss where ever you leave. You need to decide where you think your roots are, or could be. You need to find home. :-6
chrisb84uk

Homesick??

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hi Victoria. Well for me the most important thing in deciding to move would be as to whether it is for the right reasons and if in the long term you will be happy that did so. I think it's nice that you still have feelings for some of the things where you live, but I would look at the whole picture and see if you are happy leaving those things behind along with your job, friends etc to technically starting a new life (even though you have lived in the UK before,) all over again.

I feel as long as you have planned ahead and looked into a new job and a school for your children etc, that the move will be good for you and your family. Yes you will lose some good memories but I'm sure you will make a lot more in your new adventure too, and remember that you can still even take a odd holiday back once in a while if you want too.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best, let us know how things turn out! :-6
along-for-the-ride

Homesick??

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You may want to bear in mind that the England you remember may have changed.

Now will be the time to make new memories, have new friends and experiences...and a better job.

I miss Chicago, but it is the Chicago of my childhood that I remember and cherish. If I lived there now, I would have an all new perspective.

Good luck to ya! Enjoy your new adventure.:)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Victoria

Homesick??

Post by Victoria »

Hi everyone

Thanks for your comments, they made me think.

This is a huge change not least of all because the kids are not coming with us they are grown up and have left home so its just the two of us, thats the part I'm looking forward to.

I also know that the England I left has changed, but so have I and I'm not going back to anywhere I've lived before so it will be a new start.

Roots or a sense of belonging anywhere is something I've never had so maybe this feeling is mourning maybe this is the place that comes nearest to being 'my place'.

In the past I've moved on, Ive never looked back never kept in touch with anyone never been back to visit ect. Even counting my childhood the longest I've ever lived in one place is 10 yrs sometimes its been as little as 18 mths. I get claustrophobic if I stay put anywhere.

So maybe I will be able to look upon this place as home even if I'm not here?:thinking:

Return to “Home Management”