Cold

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Nomad

Cold

Post by Nomad »

The lower level is cold. The media room is downstairs so its an area thats used frequently.

One wall is all glass.

Another wall is the other side of the inside of the garage.

Hall/bathroom/laundry/furnace/stairs going up to the living room.

Im thinking about insulating the inside of the garage door.

What kind of insulation should I use ?

How should the insulation be attached ?

Would it be reasonable to expect results ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
lemon_and_mint

Cold

Post by lemon_and_mint »

i dont know about real insulation but if you can put down carpeting or rugs and hang picture rugs up on the walls it should make it a little warmer.
Accountable

Cold

Post by Accountable »

I know what you mean about the cold. Our forecast calls for temps to plummet down to the 50's all week! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

If you have a standard roll-up door, Home Depot has garage door insulation sheets. Looks like styrofoam lined with foil. That will help some, but air will still come in around the edges and between the cracks.
Chezzie

Cold

Post by Chezzie »

Insulation usually involves an initial cost which may seem prohibitive at first, but insulation is a long term investment and it will pay for itself sooner than you think. It may even have a positive impact on the value of your house.

There are other, cheaper ways to insulate your home:

Fit a draught excluder to the bottom of your doors and across letter boxes.

Attach a piece of tin foil between radiators and external walls to reflect heat back into the house.

Fit a window sill or shelf above radiators to push the warm air into the middle of the room.

Hot Water Tank Insulation

Get a nice comfy jacket for your hot water tank. As Friends of the Earth points out - it's cheap and it pays for itself within a year. The Kent Energy Centre gives simple instructions on how to fit your jacket.
Nomad

Cold

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;751725 wrote: I know what you mean about the cold. Our forecast calls for temps to plummet down to the 50's all week! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

If you have a standard roll-up door, Home Depot has garage door insulation sheets. Looks like styrofoam lined with foil. That will help some, but air will still come in around the edges and between the cracks.

I looked at Home Depot bud they had nada, I could improvise with something like duct insulation but Id rather do it right. Would it be possible for you to provide a link ?

That way I could walk in and say LOOK ! Rick said !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Cold

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;751747 wrote: I looked at Home Depot bud they had nada, I could improvise with something like duct insulation but Id rather do it right. Would it be possible for you to provide a link ?

That way I could walk in and say LOOK ! Rick said !
Okay, I thought I saw one before, but according to this, I was mistaken:

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/36795.html

I found this one available online, but I would think you could measure and cut your own for a fraction of the price.

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/insulation.html
Nomad

Cold

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;751762 wrote: Okay, I thought I saw one before, but according to this, I was mistaken:

http://www.bobvila.com/wwwboard/messages/36795.html

I found this one available online, but I would think you could measure and cut your own for a fraction of the price.

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/insulation.html

thank you mr accountable
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Cold

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;751766 wrote: thank you mr accountable
My pleasure, sir. :-6

Of course, living in a climate more hospitable to human habitation is another great way to save energy. :p
Nomad

Cold

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;751774 wrote: My pleasure, sir. :-6

Of course, living in a climate more hospitable to human habitation is another great way to save energy. :p

And where might that be ?

The highest temperature recorded in Texas is 120°, Fahrenheit.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Cold

Post by CARLA »

Nomad San Diego is the place to be. We don't insulate anything out here no need to. :-6:-6

How cold can it get before everything in your entertainment center if frozen. :-3

Have you tried LOWES for garage door insulation??
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Accountable

Cold

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;751789 wrote: And where might that be ?

Pshah Sure! ... standing next to the Christmas barbeque grill.

Carla's right about Sand Iego. There and Hawaii are about as primo as you can ask for.
Bryn Mawr

Cold

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;751714 wrote: The lower level is cold. The media room is downstairs so its an area thats used frequently.

One wall is all glass.

Another wall is the other side of the inside of the garage.

Hall/bathroom/laundry/furnace/stairs going up to the living room.

Im thinking about insulating the inside of the garage door.

What kind of insulation should I use ?

How should the insulation be attached ?

Would it be reasonable to expect results ?

Would you not be better insulating the party wall? (assuming single brick party wall)

Half inch battoning on the garage side faced with plasterboard should provide enough of an air gap to make a difference in the media room.
Nomad

Cold

Post by Nomad »

Bryn Mawr;752958 wrote: Would you not be better insulating the party wall? (assuming single brick party wall)

Half inch battoning on the garage side faced with plasterboard should provide enough of an air gap to make a difference in the media room.

That wall is insulated Bryn but the garage is so cold it needs more help.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Sheryl

Cold

Post by Sheryl »

You could just buy you a couple of these to keep in the media room, to watch movies in. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
sunny104

Cold

Post by sunny104 »

Nomad;751789 wrote: And where might that be ?

sweet!

I could use some of that right now, these 70 degree temps are a bit nippy for my taste....:D
sunny104

Cold

Post by sunny104 »

Sheryl;753496 wrote: You could just buy you a couple of these to keep in the media room, to watch movies in. :D

that's hot! :-3

Return to “Home Management”