Floors - I'm not sold on Tile..

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

After cleaning all the grout in my Tile Floors, I'm not sold on Tile.

I scrubbed the grout for days - I thought Tile would be a easy maintenance choice.

Wood Floors leave marks - scuff

Carpet gets destroyed with walking patterns, but you can shampoo the dirt.

Which do you have?

What type of flooring do you recommend?

I'm not sold on Tile Floors.

Patsy
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Patsy Warnick;615931 wrote: After cleaning all the grout in my Tile Floors, I'm not sold on Tile.

I scrubbed the grout for days - I thought Tile would be a easy maintenance choice.

Which do you have?

Patsy

I have the pargo stuff throughout the house now, getting away from carpet. I've had carpet in the past, but we have such a small home, hard to keep clean with so much traffic...so I just go to the floors I can sweep and mop and all done:)
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

we have all tile except for the bedrooms. The tile is a brownish/terra cotta looking color and the grout is a charcoal/almost black so we don't have to worry about it looking dirty or stained....

I like it because of the kids........and I'm not a big fan of wood floors or linoleum....:-6
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

sunny104;615948 wrote: we have all tile except for the bedrooms. The tile is a brownish/terra cotta looking color and the grout is a charcoal/almost black so we don't have to worry about it looking dirty or stained....

I like it because of the kids........and I'm not a big fan of wood floors or linoleum....:-6

I have the wooden floor look in living room and hall and then linoleum in kitchen and bathrooms...then tile looking pargo in bedrooms (2 out of three) carpet in oldest son's bedroom, since he's good about keeping his room clean and animals don't go in there to do their "business"...I'll hold off replacing his flooring for a while.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

we lived in a haunted apartment when I was a kid that had wood floors thru-out and lino in the bedrooms (??) maybe that explains my aversion......:-3 :D

but I just love the 'look' of tile thru-out, especially houses in warmer climates....:-6
dubs

Post by dubs »

Not keen on carpet! Much rather have a waxed floor!......:thinking:

My dog's a cross between a Shihtzu and a Bulldog... It's a Bullsh!t..
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

dubs;616218 wrote: Not keen on carpet! Much rather have a waxed floor!......:thinking:

ummm....that could.........well, ummm.....nevermind:sneaky: :lips:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I love wood floors. They are a pain to keep up, but I love the look of them. I have wood floors in bedrooms, den, and kitchen. There's linoleum in the bathrooms and laundry room, and the living room is carpet.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Lon

Post by Lon »

Patsy Warnick;615931 wrote: After cleaning all the grout in my Tile Floors, I'm not sold on Tile.

Which do you have?

Patsy

We love the tile floors. Our entry, hallways, bathrooms, kitchen and dining room is all tile, BUT, the grout is a dark color and never shows any discoloration.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We bought this house - 5yrs May 31st, the tile was already installed.

I had no idea - I was cleaning the floor - bucket & rag, when I left the rag on the floor, came back later and OMG - I didn't know the grout was WHITE... I called my husband in, look, we laughed, now that led into a weeks worth of scrubbing..

No, I wouldn't have picked this tile nor the white grout - how stupid.

I guess I just won't look.

Patsy
guppy

Post by guppy »

you probably need ot seal it .....i had mine sealed when i had it put down....if i am not mistaken you need to redue it every so many years....
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I found out / I was told about sealing the grout - I had no idea.

I barely got up off the floor from scrubbing, time consuming job..

Thanks

Patsy
cars

Post by cars »

Like guppy said, you need to seal it! Especially WHITE, OMG! Between our Southern Villa & our Northern Villa's we have it all. Carpeting, Hard Oakwood flooring, & Tile. The hardwood floors seem the easiest to keep up. Carpeting stains, & always needs vacuuming. Tiles need frequent cleaning also, & more important, they are "very dangerously slippery" when wet. If something spills on tile & you don't notice it, someone walking over it most likely will slip & fall. Once at a party, someone spilled a drink on the tile floor & didn't wipe it all up properly. (we didn't see it happen) Little later on, another guest slipped on that wet spot & broke her leg. (not good)
Cars :)
shazza4kids

Post by shazza4kids »

We've got wooden floors on all the hard wearing areas like hall kitchen and conservatory but tiles in the bathroom and carpet in the lounge and bedrooms.Wooden floors are too hard on your bum if your're lounging around or whatever you want to do on the lounge or bedroom carpet !!!!!!!!!
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Patsy Warnick;616265 wrote: I found out / I was told about sealing the grout - I had no idea.

I barely got up off the floor from scrubbing, time consuming job..

Thanks

Patsy

You could always regrout to a more suitable color Patsy. Do one room at a time as its a real chore but what isnt ?

Carpet although it can look very nice is nasty. Its full of microbial critters. Theres just no getting around it.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Home Management”