Antique chair?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

DH's aunt gave us a small chair, such as for a makeup table. We knew it was old, but today, we discovered it was older than we thought.

Upon close examination, we found it is held together with mortise and tenon joints and wooden pegs. It still has the original cushion, as evidenced by the fact that certain marks on it correspond with the frame of the chair. There are no metal fasteners of any type, other than upholstery tacks on the cushion underside.

The back was inlaid with mitered brass strips, about half of which of are missing. It needs to be retightened, the brass inlays replaced, and refinished. I know that it is supposed to be more valuable in it's current state of disrepair, but I want to see this item come back to life. It is too delicate to use, but I have a porcelain Spanish doll which will sit nicely on it.

Anyone here have a clue as to how old this chair is, or where I can find out such info?

Thanx.
Patsy Warnick

Antique chair?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

This is a Vanity chair ?

Have you tried the internet? The only other choice is to use you local Library.

I would certainly make the chair as sturdy as possible - sounds like a treasure for sure.

Enjoy your treasure

Patsy
abbey

Antique chair?

Post by abbey »

Ciao, Bella!;584379 wrote: DH's aunt gave us a small chair, such as for a makeup table. We knew it was old, but today, we discovered it was older than we thought.

Upon close examination, we found it is held together with mortise and tenon joints and wooden pegs. It still has the original cushion, as evidenced by the fact that certain marks on it correspond with the frame of the chair. There are no metal fasteners of any type, other than upholstery tacks on the cushion underside.

The back was inlaid with mitered brass strips, about half of which of are missing. It needs to be retightened, the brass inlays replaced, and refinished. I know that it is supposed to be more valuable in it's current state of disrepair, but I want to see this item come back to life. It is too delicate to use, but I have a porcelain Spanish doll which will sit nicely on it.

Anyone here have a clue as to how old this chair is, or where I can find out such info?

Thanx.What are the legs like?
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

A vanity chair is the term that escaped me.

The legs are slightly curved, the back ones angled inward slightly. I'll try to get a photo of it.
RedGlitter

Antique chair?

Post by RedGlitter »

Before you restore it, take it to an antiques dealer. You could make a grave mistake by fixing it if it's truly old and worth something. Better to be sure.

Try writing to Yankee magazine as they have a "what is it?"/antiques section where people send stuff in for ID. www.yankeemagazine.com

Also maybe contact the Antiques Roadshow people and send them a picture.
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Good suggestion, RedGlitter. I don't want to mess it up, but I'm worried the darn thing will collapse soon, LOL!

Here's a photo of vanity bench that is somewhat similar, particularly the legs. The construction is virtually identical, from what I can see.

http://www.gindersantiques.com/Antiques ... ystool.JPG

The finish on my chair is much darker, and made it difficult to see the brass inlay at first.

And, the great dining table is cherry wood, with possible oak inlays. We've been advised to put a tinted stain on it, so the fabulous grain will show through. Can't wait to get it done!
Patsy Warnick

Antique chair?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

RED

I forgot about the Yankee Mag. for research

Have you checked for a dealer in your area? Many times I can take a item in to their store (specialized) and they're very helpful - or could refer you ?? I certainly wouldn't stain or paint the chair without advise.

I'd love to see a picture - you can still set your doll in the chair for now

Patsy
Nomad

Antique chair?

Post by Nomad »

No idea but they say you should really leave the originality of the chair intact. I had an old dresser and someone mucked with it and devalued it considerably.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Here are some pictures of the chair, and doll. I finally got around to taking some today.
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Spanish doll.

Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Wooden pegs.
Ciao, Bella!

Antique chair?

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I know the fabric isn't original, as one edge has been serged. Underneath it though is a piece of muslin, and I think it's original.

I took a strong flashlight to it, and did find one screw, put in up top to try to hold it together. It had been covered with wood putty, which is flaking off. Otherwise, wooden pegs. I tested this theory using a small magnet, which held to the screw, and nothing else.

Return to “Home Management”