I need advice from UK builder or home renovators

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

I'm thinking of buying a house (been to see it for the second time today) and it needs the following work doing to it. Can anyone give me an idea of how much this lot will cost, as it's quite an expensive house and I'm not sure if I'd have enough to get all this done too!

New Guttering + down pipe

Living Room ceiling needs replastering

Carpet on 1st floor landing

3 fence panels and a fence gate

en suite shower door replaced.

If anyone could help me with approx pricing that would be great!

Thanks much!

S xxxxxxxxxxx
spot

Post by spot »

£3000.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Thanks Spot!

I'm going to try to get that off the asking price!
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

Hey Elvira, I dont live in the UK but my dad is a builder in the states and I havebeen working for him for 6 years- spots estimate sounds about right, but if I were you I would have the buyer fix them- put it in your offer that you want all of those things changed and see what they counterback with. It shouldn't make or break the deal. These are things that the buyer should take care of anyway
spot

Post by spot »

Don't let anyone knock on your door saying they've some surplus tarmac from a job they're finishing round the corner and would you like your drive re-laying, either.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Sweet Tooth;584060 wrote: Hey Elvira, I dont live in the UK but my dad is a builder in the states and I havebeen working for him for 6 years- spots estimate sounds about right, but if I were you I would have the buyer fix them- put it in your offer that you want all of those things changed and see what they counterback with. It shouldn't make or break the deal. These are things that the buyer should take care of anyway

I'm the buyer! I want to buy the house, and I'm prepared to fix them all, but I want to try to either get the cost taken off the price OR ensure that I've got enough money left over!
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

spot;584061 wrote: Don't let anyone knock on your door saying they've some surplus tarmac from a job they're finishing round the corner and would you like your drive re-laying, either.

Funny you should say that - the drive is fine, but I want to brick over a patch of scrub next to the drive so that I can get two cars parked there... I've just rung a builder who said that he could probably do that for about £800.
Sweet Tooth

Post by Sweet Tooth »

Elvira;584062 wrote: I'm the buyer! I want to buy the house, and I'm prepared to fix them all, but I want to try to either get the cost taken off the price OR ensure that I've got enough money left over!

HAHA:wah: I'm SOOOOO SORRY! I meant seller! I was looking over my own contract because I am selling my house in CA so I was all off track! I MEANT SELLER! :-5
spot

Post by spot »

Soberano;584079 wrote: You should try and get a recommended company to do the work, ask the neighbours if you don't know any body. Go on - summer's coming and it'll keep her fit doing that herself. Dig it out to the right depth, Elvira, pour 4 inches of sand and tamp it down levelled, lay different coloured bricks on edge in a pattern you like with quarter inch spacers (I'd split normal spring-action wooden clothes pegs, you need a few hundred spacers and they come cheap enough), and finish it by brushing dry sand over until you've filled the cracks. It's good healthy exercise.
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

Soberano;584079 wrote: You should try and get a recommended company to do the work, ask the neighbours if you don't know any body. Always ask for references, see if you could get to see samples of work they have completed nearby. If they refuse wave bye bye to them. A good tradesman will always be willing to help you any way they can.

If they tell you they are a general builder wave bye bye, there is no such thing. There are carpenters, joiners, plumbers, bricklayers, roofers, plasterers etc. There has never been an apprenticeship for general building, it ususally means they are labourers or jack of all trades, master of none. Hope this helps.:)

Many thanks Soberano! I'm a bit naive when it comes to tradesmen, I've never had to be bothered with them in the past. The chap that I called was part of a landscaping company, and was happy enough just to try to give me an estimate, once I'd explained the situation to him. I will of course ask if there is anyone that the neighbours know...

S xxxxxxxxxxxx
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

spot;584082 wrote: Go on - summer's coming and it'll keep her fit doing that herself. Dig it out to the right depth, Elvira, pour 4 inches of sand and tamp it down levelled, lay different coloured bricks on edge in a pattern you like with quarter inch spacers (I'd split normal spring-action wooden clothes pegs, you need a few hundred spacers and they come cheap enough), and finish it by brushing dry sand over until you've filled the cracks. It's good healthy exercise.

I like Sobarano's idea better!!!:wah:

Return to “Home Management”