What is your method of housekeeping?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Lila, that sounds like fun. :) Do you have links to a website? Where did you find the house cleaning games?

I'm a huge fan of the Speed Clean Team. Their books are hilarious, but also full of helpful tips.

I don't use their products anymore, having switched over to Method (available at Target and online). Method smells awesome, cleans really well, doesn't need rinsing (time-saver!), and is environmentally safe...that's important to me with my cat, and myself, I guess.

The philosophy of Speed Cleaning is that there is a difference between cleaning and clutter-control.

That you work a room top to bottom in a circle until it's finished, then move on.

That you eliminate repeated steps (keep one bag for garbage, one box for things that belong in another room, etc).

That you use the tool you need for the job - don't try one cleaner, and then switch to something else...over time you will know exactly which tool to use on what.

Three people can clean an average house in 45 minutes. It works. I can clean my washroom in 12 minutes, ceiling to floor. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

call merry maids? ;)
Lon

Post by Lon »

Like all of us, I am a product of my up-bringing, and my mother was a housecleaner supreme. I can stlill smell the furniture polish. That, plus four years in the military turned me into "Mr. Tidybowel" I just cannot stand a clutter. Newspapers and mags scattered all over the floor drive me nuts, as do dirty dishes in the sink, hairs stuck to the shower or bathtub sidings. Fortunately for me, I am married to a woman that is the same. Crumbs on the floor? Oh no!!!!!
Cass

Post by Cass »

I need to change my attitude about housekeeping... I tend to let it go and then fdo a huge clean all at once that takes the whole day. 4 bathrooms, kitchen, vacuum, laundry, dust, clutter

I really should make a schedule and do a few things every day - it would probably be much easier on me.
Paula

Post by Paula »

An organized home is a nice place to be. I have a meticulous husband everything from the interior of my car to the clothes i wear must pass inspection and commented on. We have a house keeper that tidys but doesn't clean like we do. We pay her 25.00 an hour, we have had her for 6 years.

Favorite Method-Call Malynda...
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

What's housekeeping...??
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
rachelg

Post by rachelg »

greydeadhead wrote: What's housekeeping...??
Hey greydeadhead, I'm with you :guitarist
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

I moved last June. Anything that is still boxed today and is NOT labeled "Christmas" or "craft supplies" is going to Goodwill on March 3.

I'm just as brutal when I think about accumulating new stuff, too. I have a question and answer routine ~

Do I like it?

Do I like it enough to pay X amount of dollars for it, which would take me Y number of hours to earn?

Most telling of all : Do I like it enough to dust it every week?

The answer to the last question is almost always no. :D

Aristotle
minks

Post by minks »

METHOD???

There is supposed to be a method to my housecleaning, Oh I have a method alright, kicking, screaming and grumbling the whole way through it. Grrrrrrrr
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

ScoupeSlave wrote: I just want to let you know that you can put it up on

Freecycle

These people will come and get just about anything.... Even if you put on it mystery box..... they will come from all over to pick it up. I love Freecycle because you can find some great things that you need when you are down and out on your luck. People on there really need help and don't have the money to buy even the simplest of things. So.... please try to post it up on there before you take it to goodwill.... becaue they get donations and then sell the stuff!!!!!!

-SS
SS, have you had any luck with this? I belong to the Freecycle board here in Portland. I put up moving boxes in summer time because I thought people could use the boxes. I had about 4 dozen matching boxes for copier paper, with lids. They hold tons of stuff and are easy to move around on a cart.

I had several calls, and I would dutifully place them all on my front porch...but no one ever came to get them. I ended up recycling them.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to put up an ad now, and if the stuff isn't gone by March, then I could drop it off. Right? :)

Aristotle
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Who does the housework? He or She?
chicagolosina

Post by chicagolosina »

I have three kids so I make them do all the work and sit on the couch and eat bon-bons!

*wakes up from dreaming*

I usually have one major task every day of the week, unless companies coming over then I do everything at once, and my kids really do clean then too!

Thanks for the freecycle link, I'm gonna check it out.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Usually "a lick and a promise". :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Lately i have been doing it myself. I don't have the $125.00 per. week for some one to clean a clean house. When i get busy i have my cleaner come in, who has been with me for 6 years. We are tidy people and she enjoys coming here.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
devist8me

Post by devist8me »

This thread popping back up came at a good time for me. I'm getting ready for a yard sale and needed the tips.

Plus, I have no method to my madness on cleaning and just do it when I feel like it....somedays a lot gets done, some days nothing.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy

Return to “Home Management”