On Demand Hot Water Heater

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Does any one here use one of these? The concept is that instead of a pilot driven hot water tank, the water is heated as you need it....and you supposedly won't run out of hot water at inopportune times..like during your shower.

We are thinking of replacing out tank with one of these. They are more expensive, but we were wondering if they were worth it in the long run?

I am tired of having to crawl around on the floor to relight the pilot ever time it goes out..which seemes to be every time we get a strong wind. And then we usually do not notice the pilot is out till we are taking a shower, and no hot water. :-5

Probably we would do this later this year....as the new roof is the most important major task we need to take on.
koan

Post by koan »

I'm pretty sure that's what we have in the flat. The shower controls look like a mini space ship and the heater sounds like a shuttle launch. But we don't run out of hot water.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

We had one in our old house so when we moved we put one in the new house. Definitely recommend them, it's brilliant not having to wait for hot water.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
valerie

Post by valerie »

I would never have one but I guess it all depends on your hot water needs.

Dishwasher, laundry, showers, those small little things can't provide but

so much, I'd rather have a tank. We insulated ours and we don't have a

problem with the pilot light, so that might make a difference.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We have Solar Hot Water Tank - we're never out of hot water - and we don't wait for hot water. Solar Tanks are expensive but well worth it.

Patsy
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Patsy Warnick;581143 wrote: We have Solar Hot Water Tank - we're never out of hot water - and we don't wait for hot water. Solar Tanks are expensive but well worth it.

Patsy

but how about if you need a bath or shower at night :wah: :wah:
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

Have one love it. Never ran out yet. You can do laundry, dishwasher and shower.
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Marie5656;580938 wrote: Does any one here use one of these? The concept is that instead of a pilot driven hot water tank, the water is heated as you need it....and you supposedly won't run out of hot water at inopportune times..like during your shower.

We are thinking of replacing out tank with one of these. They are more expensive, but we were wondering if they were worth it in the long run?

I am tired of having to crawl around on the floor to relight the pilot ever time it goes out..which seemes to be every time we get a strong wind. And then we usually do not notice the pilot is out till we are taking a shower, and no hot water. :-5

Probably we would do this later this year....as the new roof is the most important major task we need to take on.

we have this its great :-6 :-6
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

they are great. had one in my old house. expensive, yes. but you do get a tax credit for energy conservation, which is cool.

and you really don't run out of hot water. and they're pretty small.

from my understanding, Europe has been using this kind of water heater for years.

it just now made it's way across the "pond"

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Jimbo

Solar water is so hot - its never cold - you can't have the shower knob on hot water - its very hot anytime time day or night.. (the water)

Patsy
Carl44

Post by Carl44 »

Patsy Warnick;581213 wrote: Jimbo

Solar water is so hot - its never cold - you can't have the shower knob on hot water - its very hot anytime time day or night.. (the water)

Patsy

i was just thinking that if you used up the tank full of hot water and it was nightime and you needed a bath .... dont worry i'll annoy sue that will make me feel better :D
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Jimbo - Mr. Annoying

Thinking can get you in trouble.!!

Patsy
cars

Post by cars »

Marie5656;580938 wrote: Does any one here use one of these? The concept is that instead of a pilot driven hot water tank, the water is heated as you need it....and you supposedly won't run out of hot water at inopportune times..like during your shower.

It would seem that an important concern should be the fact that the "pilot- light" keeps going out. When the pilot light goes out, "GAS" is escaping into the air you breath. As well as if left unchecked long enough, unwanted "sparks" could cause a more serious problem! :-2
Cars :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

cars;581597 wrote: It would seem that an important concern should be the fact that the "pilot- light" keeps going out. When the pilot light goes out, "GAS" is escaping into the air, you breath. As well as if left unchecked long enough, unwanted "sparks" could cause a more serious problem! :-2

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

You should also get the boiler checked for carbon monoxide leaks - they are a killer.

Although we have a new boiler I insisted that we have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted. it also doubles as a smoke detector.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

cars and IM, you are both right. And those concerns are behind our wanting to switch.

I want to get a CO2 detector for the house anyway.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I have no idea. This eliminates me from your pool source. I hope that helps.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Thanks Nomad.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The one thing to watch for is the throughtput.

In our last house we has a 100,000 BTU condensing combi boiler and it was ideal - on demand hot water for all appliances and red hot radiators when needed.

When we moved to our current house and replaced the boiler I let the plumber persuade me that, smaller house, we only needed 80,000 btu to heat it. The rads are fine but the smaller boiler will only output 12 l/min and that is too slow when you're filling the bath etc.

Wonderful things but you needd a big one :)
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Thanks for the info Bryn. I will let Rick know..as he will probably be doing the actuall shopping around for the thing.
Ciao, Bella!

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Used them overseas, and loved them! We're going to replace our electric water heater with one, one of these days!

Absolute money saver.

Return to “Home Management”