Duct Tape It

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

What is the stupidest fix it job you've ever done in your house?

Some people duct tape a lot of stuff.

I nearly blew my house up changing a light fixture.

Tell me your story.
WonderWendy3

Duct Tape It

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Well currently I have duct tape holding together my keyboard tray on my computer desk, I've used the decorative purple incase the fashion police come to check.

I got fussed at from my brother last year for trying to duct tape the push lawn-mowers wheel on... I couldn't get it fastened with a screw driver...so duct tape to the rescue!!

:-5 :-5
abbey

Duct Tape It

Post by abbey »

No Nails, bloody fantastic, i swear if it stops working my house will collapse!:D
Sheryl

Duct Tape It

Post by Sheryl »

i don't have any patchy repair jobs. But hubby has started a fire when he was trying to unclog our bathroom sink. :D
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Sheryl

Duct Tape It

Post by Sheryl »

Apparantly the pipes to the sink had a crack in them and over the years crap had built up and sealed the crack. When he poured the drain cleaner down the drain, it ate through the crap that had sealed the pipe. Which led to water running down the wall to an electrical outlet.

my son
SuzyB

Duct Tape It

Post by SuzyB »

Soberano;575402 wrote: I never bodge anything where the house is concerned, i have rebuilt two from ruins and i honestly cannot think of one job i have bodged. If i do think of one i will be back.:thinking:

Fancy giving Jim a hand :sneaky: Much to his disgust, I have major plans this year for the house :D
I am nobody..nobody is perfect...therefore I must be Perfect!

Sheryl

Duct Tape It

Post by Sheryl »

It was funny though, cause I could here my son telling his dad that he was in trouble. And that he was gonna tell on him. :wah:

my son
Carl44

Duct Tape It

Post by Carl44 »

Soberano;575428 wrote: I can't imagine much would get done, it would be like having Laurel and Hardy running amok in the house.:wah: :wah:

keystone cowboys :wah::wah:
Carl44

Duct Tape It

Post by Carl44 »

next fg meetup pinky's builders bum problem is solved :yh_rotfl :yh_rotfl

weeder

Duct Tape It

Post by weeder »

I used salasitic acid to clean an old bath tub. I almost burned my lungs out. The acid ate the finish off the tub. Took the finish off the faucets and eventually seeped behind the fixtures and ate the pipes leading to the basement. The acid soaked into the tub, so when I slid down in the bath to read a book... it burned the small of my back. I am praying that when I leave this apartment, the office will never guess the damage I did.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

I tried to straighten the faucet handles on my kitchen sink thinking it would be a simple adjustment with a screwdriver and ended up with water spraying up in my face like a fountain.

Luckily my mother was there and dove for the shut off under the sink while I held the faucet handle down. :wah:
nvalleyvee

Duct Tape It

Post by nvalleyvee »

koan;575362 wrote: What is the stupidest fix it job you've ever done in your house?

Some people duct tape a lot of stuff.

I nearly blew my house up changing a light fixture.

Tell me your story.

So what is your story about blowing your house up changing a simple LIGHT fixture.

I am interested.......... Please expound
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

nvalleyvee;575615 wrote: So what is your story about blowing your house up changing a simple LIGHT fixture.

I am interested.......... Please expound

It was old wiring. When I flipped the fuse back on it lit up like the fourth of July.
RedGlitter

Duct Tape It

Post by RedGlitter »

I've also done the Lung Burnout with industrial bathroom cleaners. Ouch.

Stupidest thing was trying to change the doorknob to my bedroom and I can't remember, think I bought the wrong one or something, and ended up locking myself in the bedroom. I had to crawl out the window and jump down into a rosebush to go back into the house. Can you say Dumb Ass? :wah:
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

An exboyfriend of mine put in a dimmer switch but it was one he had on his truck already (he is an electrician) and it didn't fit in the wall properly so he put electrical tape all around the face plate of it and left it sticking out about a 1/4 inch.

Idiot. :mad:
Tater Tazz

Duct Tape It

Post by Tater Tazz »

I really can not think of anything, I redid my entire kitchen last year, floor and all and nothing happened. The only thing I do not do by myself is electrical.
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

abbey;575376 wrote: No Nails, bloody fantastic, i swear if it stops working my house will collapse!:D

Well, at least abbey is being honest. :)
Marie5656

Duct Tape It

Post by Marie5656 »

I remember reading that the two most important things every household needs are duct tape and WD-40 (a lubricant). If it is supposed to move and dosent, use the WD-40. If it is not supposed to move but does..duct tape.
Marie5656

Duct Tape It

Post by Marie5656 »

Soberano;575749 wrote: Never use WD 40 on locks, just a little tip. :)

I have used black graphite on stubborn locks...including car ignition. If key is a bit sticky. It comes in a small tube. You poof a bit of the graphite (it is a powder) onto your key, and they work it into the lock. It will loosen things up a bit.
Ciao, Bella!

Duct Tape It

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I can only wish DH used duct tape! Wait, he did. Once. We had a computer desk that was angled to fit into a corner. We'd just moved with the military, and while I was trying to get the proper household in order, i.e. dishes, hanging artwork, etc., DH hauls buns upstairs to his precious computer. Since the table needed two people to put it together, he just duct taped it together, to avoid pestering me. (I was steaming already, though, as I needed help.)

A friend of ours, who taught me to use the computer, (this was about 12 years ago), helped me remove the duct tape, and put the desk together properly. He laughed the entire time.

I did make DH buy the metal duct tape, to repair some ducts with. (It holds up better than regular duct tape.) That stuff works wonders!

Otherwise, I don't let DH fudge with house repairs. I'm leery of that type of workmanship...
koan

Duct Tape It

Post by koan »

Pinky;575786 wrote: I filled in a gap under the skirting board with a mixture of tissue paper and glue because ants were coming in there! Bloody house is full of holes!

:D

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

I put the metal duct tape over a small hole on the outside of my house where flying ants were building a nest. Loaded it up with ant spray first then sealed it off. Worked like a charm. I think. :-3
Ciao, Bella!

Duct Tape It

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

Koan, I'll have to try that one. Now, if I can just find where the ants are going to come in this summer...

Return to “Home Management”