Do Not Sit

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
koan

Do Not Sit

Post by koan »

Do you or someone you know have a room that is not supposed to be used except for company?

A friend of mine did. The couches had plastic covers on them etc.

I think it is a sign of over attachment to material things. A sign of putting too much value into what other people think. To me, possessions are meant to be used and enjoyed.
Carl44

Do Not Sit

Post by Carl44 »

koan;564631 wrote: Do you or someone you know have a room that is not supposed to be used except for company?

I think it is a sign of over attachment to material things. A sign of putting too much value into what other people think. To me, possessions are meant to be used and enjoyed.

well i think you have a lot in common you both like everything spotless:wah: :wah:

er sorry spot:o :o
koan

Do Not Sit

Post by koan »

jimbo;564634 wrote: well i think you have a lot in common you both like everything spotless

er sorry spot:o :o

change the second "you" to "me, we" and it makes sense.

unless you are implying I am we and you are thinking of us both. :confused:

I'd settle for "Do not sit on spot. He bites."
Carl44

Do Not Sit

Post by Carl44 »

koan;564638 wrote: change the second "you" to "me, we" and it makes sense.

unless you are implying I am we and you are thinking of us both. :confused:

I'd settle for "Do not sit on spot. He bites."

er thats exactly what i thought you meant i'd say:confused:

Peg

Do Not Sit

Post by Peg »

I feel a home is meant to be lived in and that's just what mine is; lived in. I just don't get having a room for just special occassions. I'd be uncomfortable in a room like that.
Elvira

Do Not Sit

Post by Elvira »

koan;564631 wrote: Do you or someone you know have a room that is not supposed to be used except for company?

Yes - a lot of my family (the older generation have this) I think it stems from having more than one 'living room'

In my old family home there was a lounge (ground floor) and then two company rooms on the first floor, one living room and one 'drawing room' it was the 'drawing room' that was for best only, and yes, the furntature was usually covered in a dust sheet. Not really to protect if from people, but just to stop it getting dusty, as that room was rarely used.

Most of the furntature in the drawing room was antique and had been passed down through generations so whilst it did cost a lot, there was a lot of sentimental value also.

I think this isn't so common in the south as you don't get so much 'house' for your money.
sunny104

Do Not Sit

Post by sunny104 »

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :D

I never really got that, I mean what exactly are you saving it for??
Clint

Do Not Sit

Post by Clint »

Our future son-in-law bought a very nice car from a fellow who refused to let anyone sit in any other seat but the driver's seat. He was selling it because it was causing problems with his wife and children. :wah:
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
spot

Do Not Sit

Post by spot »

Pinky;564641 wrote: Yeah, my ex's mum has one of those rooms. It has lovely expensive couches, beautiful units and all the 'posh' ornaments (as she calls them) are in there. They only use it at christmas and special occasions! Most of the time they sit in the back room off the kitchen which isn't quite as nice. I never understood it myself!

Saying that, they're the generation that makes everyone come in via the back door. The front is strictly for births and deaths. Weird.That is exactly, to the last detail, how my grandparents lived. I don't think I ever went through their front door even once. None of the furniture would be considered expensive now, and there were no units, but it was all beaten, dusted and polished every week even though nobody went in there inbetween times.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Do Not Sit

Post by Nomad »

Had a neighbor across the street with a plastic house. Furniture, runners on the carpet, the whole 9 yards.

It could be an over attachment or it could be she was just a freak, not sure.
I AM AWESOME MAN
guppy

Do Not Sit

Post by guppy »

i remember when this was really popular when i was a kid.....it always made me think of the room like shrine or something.....i never understood it myself....
Marie5656

Do Not Sit

Post by Marie5656 »

Do people really still do that? I remember as a kid being in houses where there were rooms that seemed to never be used..except for showplaces. And of course, rooms the kids were never allowed in.

But then again..not long ago I visited a house where not only did guests have to remove thier shoes..they had to remove thier SOCKS..and put on these little flip flop shoes while in the house.
koan

Do Not Sit

Post by koan »

I had a friend who, when showing me some article of clothing in her room, freaked out when I sat on the bed to look at it.

It's a good indication of how often anyone was allowed into it. :wah:
RedGlitter

Do Not Sit

Post by RedGlitter »

Pinky;564641 wrote: Yeah, my ex's mum has one of those rooms. It has lovely expensive couches, beautiful units and all the 'posh' ornaments (as she calls them) are in there. They only use it at christmas and special occasions! Most of the time they sit in the back room off the kitchen which isn't quite as nice. I never understood it myself!

Saying that, they're the generation that makes everyone come in via the back door. The front is strictly for births and deaths. Weird.

I've never heard of the door thing before, Pinky.

What are units??

I think probably it has to do with saving the best for company. Like the good china. Putting on your best show for company.

We have never had special rooms. A living room of course and once, a den but no dining room or company room. When people visit us, it's the living room sometimes, but more often than not, we all sit in the kitchen. I'm a kitchen person. That's where everything takes place. Food, bill paying, happiness, sorrow. All the conversations are there.

I have a pan shaped thingy on the wall that reads

No matter where I serve my guests

it seems they like my kitchen best

It's been in all our homes and is the truth. :)
Bez

Do Not Sit

Post by Bez »

Soberano;564648 wrote: A lot of people did years ago, i never understood why. My best friends family never used their lounge at all. They used to sit in the dining room or kitchen, even watch the television in the evening in the dining room. I only ever got to see the lounge a couple of times in all the years he lived there.

Yep...I remember this in my parents home and even in my own home in the 1960s. I guess there were several reasons.....heating (coal fires) and the maintenance and costs that these incurred and cleaning......there really wasn't the efficient cleaning products to keep things spick and span then and furninshings we bought were meant to last so were looked after.

This all changed in the 70s when central heating was available and people knocked down walls for 'open plan living'.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Carl44

Do Not Sit

Post by Carl44 »

Soberano;568258 wrote: The back door was always called the Tradesman's entrance. Only posh gits were allowed in the front door, needless to say our front door was not used much. Our back door was never locked even in our rough area, leave it unlocked now and somebody would pinch the paint of the skirting boards.

back door not used much , buddy you protest too much :D
foofoo stripper

Do Not Sit

Post by foofoo stripper »

I do have a room like that. Only use it when I have a party.
Imladris

Do Not Sit

Post by Imladris »

My Nan and Grandad had a front room that was only used at Christmas or if lots of family were round. The living/dining room that was used every day was the one by the kitchen with the open fire - much more cosy.

At Christmas the front room would be taken over by the grandchildren and have lots of beer and soft drinks stored there. Great times.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Bryn Mawr

Do Not Sit

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;564991 wrote: That is exactly, to the last detail, how my grandparents lived. I don't think I ever went through their front door even once. None of the furniture would be considered expensive now, and there were no units, but it was all beaten, dusted and polished every week even though nobody went in there inbetween times.

It was the way with that generation - maybe if the vicar came to vist but normally only for weddings and funerals.
Ciao, Bella!

Do Not Sit

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

I have a very stuckup cousin, who married a man who is even more stuckup! They built a Victorian style home, and do not invite anyone over, even their parents.

Cherry flooring means they do not use the front door, and the formal dining room is permanently set for a party. Antiques are the order of the day, and they bought one of those clocks that rearranges itself every hour.

They make sure you know what they have. A Kubota mower. An inground pool. No one tries to outdo them, yet there some of us who can, as in myself and DH, what with living overseas for ten years, and collecting artwork as souvenirs. But, it's none of their business.

They are so deeply in debt, the rest of the family just shakes their heads. :-6
cinamin

Do Not Sit

Post by cinamin »

Back in the early 70's my mother decorated the front living room with brown and black and white colors and white shag carpeting. It was rarely used. But I still love shag carpeting.
Ciao, Bella!

Do Not Sit

Post by Ciao, Bella! »

cinamin;574156 wrote: Back in the early 70's my mother decorated the front living room with brown and black and white colors and white shag carpeting. It was rarely used. But I still love shag carpeting.

I remember shag carpet! We had hardwood floors, thankfully. I can't stand wall to wall, shag or not! (Area rugs are different.)

We discovered over the summer our master bedroom at one time had pea green walls, and dark brown shag carpet.

:lips:

Return to “Home Management”