fixing things

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

i am so pleased with myself, i repaired a vacuum cleaner and a CD player today! :yh_whistl who's 'handy' and who's not? are you a brilliant domestic engineer or a hopeless hapless doofus? :-2 :-3
valerie

fixing things

Post by valerie »

Er, none of the above? ;)

I think I can be both at various times. I've gotten a LOT of satisfaction

at times from doing things for my truck. No, I can't rebuild an engine, but

when you can go down to the auto parts place and get a new fuel filter

and install it yourself... DAMN but it feels good!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

minks

fixing things

Post by minks »

lady cop wrote: i am so pleased with myself, i repaired a vacuum cleaner and a CD player today! :yh_whistl who's 'handy' and who's not? are you a brilliant domestic engineer or a hopeless hapless doofus? :-2 :-3

*HAND IN AIR * Hopeless Doofas over here.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
abbey

fixing things

Post by abbey »

I think i can safely say that i am very good with my hands. ;)
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

abbey wrote: I think i can safely say that i am very good with my hands. ;)*spitting tea on keyboard* :yh_rotfl
Bez

fixing things

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: i am so pleased with myself, i repaired a vacuum cleaner and a CD player today! :yh_whistl who's 'handy' and who's not? are you a brilliant domestic engineer or a hopeless hapless doofus? :-2 :-3

Hi LC...you OK ?

I can do a bit of carpentry, put simple shelves up, and simple repairs to appliances. I won't touch electrics or plumbing.

I have laid a small area of concrete and repaired my sons patio and step with a bit of bricklaying. I don't mind getting my hands dirty at all. I hate changing wheels on my car, but will if i have to !

I've put loads of self assembly furniture together....very satisfying and none of it has ever fallen apart...yet...
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
abbey

fixing things

Post by abbey »

lady cop wrote: *spitting tea on keyboard* :yh_rotfl Now let's see you fix that missy! :wah:
Bez

fixing things

Post by Bez »

I forgot...painting, decorating, tiling, wallpapering, making curtains.... I've had to learn all this stuff over the years and I actually quite like it. Needs must when you've got little money and a 'Doofas' for a husband. :D
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

good for you Bez! when i was in school i was summarily ejected from home ec class, sewing and all that stuff, and put in shop class with the boys! (i wasn't stupid:D )
Mookey1229

fixing things

Post by Mookey1229 »

I have to say I a much handier than my hubby... I built wall to ceiling book shelves in one of our houses. I love doing stuff like that. I have sheet rock walls all by myself. I do a little of everyting I quess. At least I'm not afraid to try. The only thing I am afraid of is a skill saw and heights. Oh, and things that go bump in the night.:wah:
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I am shipping over a crate of various appliances for your attention :Der, what kind of appliances Arnold?
BabyRider

fixing things

Post by BabyRider »

That's cool, LC. I think lots of women are more handy than even they know. I worked light construction with my dad for a while, I love strapping on the toolbelt and doing some physical labor.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Bez

fixing things

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: good for you Bez! when i was in school i was summarily ejected from home ec class, sewing and all that stuff, and put in shop class with the boys! (i wasn't stupid:D )

I used to make and knit loads of stuff for my husband and kids years ago. There was still rationing when I ws a kid, and my Mum taught us all the skills needed to be 'frugal'.

She made my wedding dress and won a competiion for knitting a christening gown. The wool was so fine.....it was a work of art. For each of her grandchildren she knitted a shawl that was beautiful....sorry I'm rambling :)
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

your Mother's things sound like lovely heirlooms! how nice!
along-for-the-ride

fixing things

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I got that Turbotax program and did my husband and my taxes....myself!

And.............I just baked a chocolate cake.;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
along-for-the-ride

fixing things

Post by along-for-the-ride »

along-for-the-ride wrote: I got that Turbotax program and did my husband and my taxes....myself!

And.............I just baked a chocolate cake.;)

And....." I'm a woman...W-O-M-A-N................I'll say it again........."
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Jives

fixing things

Post by Jives »

lady cop wrote: brilliant domestic engineer

That'd be me. i've always been really handy. I repaired a dryer with a wheel from an inline skate. I also took apart a Playstation 2 down to it's microchips and reassembled it this week. Works perfectly. My house has all kinds of tricky gadgets, including a secret passage.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Uncle Kram

fixing things

Post by Uncle Kram »

Yeah, LC did such a good job too. The CD player is sucking up all the crumbs on the carpet and she's listening to Van Halen on the Vacuum cleaner :D

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

Uncle Kram wrote: Yeah, LC did such a good job too. The CD player is sucking up all the crumbs on the carpet and she's listening to Van Halen on the Vacuum cleaner :D:yh_rotfl who told you???
CARLA

fixing things

Post by CARLA »

:wah: I'm "Handy Andy's Little Girl, she is just as Handy as Andy" Thats what all the neighbors use to say to me growing up. :D I'm proud to say I can fix just about anything. I have my own tools, drills, bits, saws, all CRAFTMANS, Love my MIkita Drill. I have a complete tool chest in my back bedroom closet just in case I need something. I have a tool belt, you name it I have it, if don't have it I can get it at my moms, dad left a full garage of stuff. :D My father passed away in 1984 since then I have been in charge of up keep on my Mom's house inside and out, and maintence of the car. I can say honestly I'm damn handy..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

lady cop

fixing things

Post by lady cop »

you're also a computer genius! :-4
CARLA

fixing things

Post by CARLA »

Uncle Kram, :wah: :wah:

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by Uncle Kram

Yeah, LC did such a good job too. The CD player is sucking up all the crumbs on the carpet and she's listening to Van Halen on the Vacuum cleaner

Ah thanks LC I'm a geek for sure love computers sad but true..:D

[QUOTE]you're also a computer genius! [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

fixing things

Post by Nomad »

Depends.

Around the house Im ok if I commit the time to the project.

If Im determined Ill do a good job because Im very particular (or peculiar) whatever.

The car ? Forget it.

The last time I tried doing the brakes I was outside till 3am with a flashlight in blinding rain looking for springs in the grass. I was probably in tears.

So to prevent paying for tow trucks now I just drive it right in.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chrisb84uk

fixing things

Post by chrisb84uk »

Hmmm well I am absolutely rubbish at fixing or making anything. If it's broke. then I'll break it even more into the state where it's completely useless. If I make something then it falls apart before I have even started. And to top it all of I am a real klutz. I'll trip over things and break them, or be carrying something and drop it.

Hahaha ok I think that u all get the message, I need not go on. :D :wah:
Peg

fixing things

Post by Peg »

The only thing I won't touch is electricity. I won't attempt to change a light switch or wall socket which my husband can do. Makes me nervous that he won't cut the power first to do it. Other than that, I can pretty much fix anything. When I paint, I fill in every single little hole. I once rented a place a was showing the landlord my handy work. I said, "Look at the walls now. The wall actually meets the molding. I don't know who the moron was that did this kitchen but now it's done right". Imagine my embarrassment when he laughed and said, "I'm the moron, but it does look better.":o
Sheryl

fixing things

Post by Sheryl »

I've installed a ceiling fan, put together furniture, and built a garden bench. I've been working on restoring an old kitchen hutch. But it's been cold and I'm paranoid when the stripper sais highly flammable, so I won't turn on the heater in the garage.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
chonsigirl

fixing things

Post by chonsigirl »

I fixed 2 broken cabinet doors today-for me a major feat!:)
LilacDragon

fixing things

Post by LilacDragon »

In my younger days I changed the oil and filter on my car.

With my husband gone, I find myself fixing more things then I would like. But I must admit, in 2004, when he was on duty in Egypt, I had to wait until his twin came home on leave to change the lightbulb in my bedroom ceiling fan! I am sure that DH put the darn bulb in to start with because it sure wasn't coming out and I don't much like playing with 'lectricty either.
Sandi

erasamus snoggle

fixing things

Post by erasamus snoggle »

I've amassed a variety of talents over the years and am just as comfortable using a stethescope as I am using a 3/8" ratchet & socket set when changing the plugs on my old F-150. Presently I'm a consulting "guru" at a local Home Depot.
Nomad

fixing things

Post by Nomad »

Jives

Re: fixing things

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady cop

brilliant domestic engineer

That'd be me. i've always been really handy. I repaired a dryer with a wheel from an inline skate. I also took apart a Playstation 2 down to it's microchips and reassembled it this week. Works perfectly. My house has all kinds of tricky gadgets, including a secret passage.

Lif is better with...Well heck! It's just better!:D

Your a regular 007. :wah: Do you have a jet pack too ? What about a phone in your shoe Maxwell ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

fixing things

Post by Nomad »

SnoozeControl wrote: I'm sure he meant that tongue in cheek, Nomad ;)

No I dont think so. Hes a brilliant man capable of super human feats. One can only imagine the amazing things he does in his secret passages. Dissecting playstations and planning bigger and better secret passages. Boggles the mind really.

I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Home Management”