What a pen and ink

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

Yesterday my whole house filled with smoke from a little "accident" in the kitchen. I opened all the windows and doors at the time, but the stink has pervaded the whole house. Does anyone know of anything I can do to get rid of the strong smell? I dont fancy the idea of pinching my nose indefinately

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
valerie

What a pen and ink

Post by valerie »

If you've got some vinegar in the house, heat it in a pot on the stove

until steaming and that will help. You can also carefully carry the pot

around the house and vapors will rise.

If not vinegar, try some powdered cinnamon sprinkled on the stove

burners. Careful with this one. Or, you can put lemon peel and a little

water in a pot and heat.

Good luck!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Accountable

What a pen and ink

Post by Accountable »

Ain't she just the most helpful thing?!? :-4
Bez

What a pen and ink

Post by Bez »

An onion cut in half absorbs the smell of fresh gloss paint....air freshener ?? Incense ??? Gawd knows...
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
BabyRider

What a pen and ink

Post by BabyRider »

Febreze!!! Do you guys have this stuff? I LOVE my Febreze. Spray it everywhere. Use a whole bottle if you have to.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

venus

What a pen and ink

Post by venus »

beaten to it, was gonna say onion, it does work.

if not a herb os spice warmed in a frying pan that will drift around the house.

Or one of my loves too febreeze...love my pets not their smell, so baths and febreeze do the trick!!
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Bez

What a pen and ink

Post by Bez »

Uncle Kram wrote: Yesterday my whole house filled with smoke from a little "accident" in the kitchen. I opened all the windows and doors at the time, but the stink has pervaded the whole house. Does anyone know of anything I can do to get rid of the strong smell? I dont fancy the idea of pinching my nose indefinately

We're dying to know what the 'little accident' was aren't we guys ????

We could start guessing of course....let the potatoes boil dry ???
venus

What a pen and ink

Post by venus »

left the chip pan .....:confused:
take a bite out of life it's there to be tasted!!
Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

Thanks guys, I will endeavour to test all suggestions over the weekend with the exception of yours Arnold. Just spent a whole year doing that and somehow I don't see a repeat performance without losing the will to live.

I had a vague recollection of something you could do with onions and lemons. (Then I remembered it was casserole and squash !)

I've just placed two onion halves in the worst areas which are downstairs, and I've just added Lemons and Febreeze to my shopping list. I've already got some scented candles. (Don't ask!)

The little accident was down to my daughter your honour, nothing to do with me.

She had just been involved in an accident where her Moms car had been rear-ended by an Ice-Cream van. Her neck was hurting so she placed a wheatbag in the microwave. Unfortunately, for far too long, and the material all burned and melted giving off really offensive fumes. My daughter is recovering, but raised an eyebrow when I asked her if she had Mr.Whippylash

Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

Here is the lunchtime news from UK in the UK

The headache-inducing stink in Krammys kitchen has disappeared with the help of an unidentified onion.

Sources close to the epicentre of the wheatbag meltdown report a modicum of improvement in the actual microwave itself, however the appliance is expected to remain a bio-hazard for the forseeable future.

In mid-meltdown, the severely smoking item was thrown out of the kitchen window by Uncle K to a distance which is unofficially a personal best.

Attached is a picture showing it's subsequent inspection by The Wheatbag Rapid Response Unit and Uncle K's next door neighbour

Attached files

Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

For living next door to me?

Nomad

What a pen and ink

Post by Nomad »

It depends on what smoked the house up. If it was meat it was a protein fire (even though it might not have actually been a fire) I used to do insurance restoration work so Im familiar with odor elimination. We succesfully eliminated the odor from a corpse that had been decaying in a trailer in Florida in the month of August.

If its protein thats a tough one. I would recommend renting an ozone machine and of course you need to have all the fabrics in the house cleaned. Curtains, upholstery, carpet etc. Its an odor that doesnt just go away.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

Nomad wrote: We succesfully eliminated the odor from a corpse that had been decaying in a trailer in Florida in the month of August.

I bet that stopped you biting your nails :yh_nailbi

minks

What a pen and ink

Post by minks »

Uncle Kram wrote: Here is the lunchtime news from UK in the UK

The headache-inducing stink in Krammys kitchen has disappeared with the help of an unidentified onion.

Sources close to the epicentre of the wheatbag meltdown report a modicum of improvement in the actual microwave itself, however the appliance is expected to remain a bio-hazard for the forseeable future.

In mid-meltdown, the severely smoking item was thrown out of the kitchen window by Uncle K to a distance which is unofficially a personal best.

Attached is a picture showing it's subsequent inspection by The Wheatbag Rapid Response Unit and Uncle K's next door neighbour

Do you write short stories, this whole thread had me laughing at your detailed writing OMG and I am supposed to be working ahahahahahaha Laughing out loud at my computer is cause for suspicion. Tee hee hee. Glad you are recovering from the whole ordeal.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bez

What a pen and ink

Post by Bez »

I thought you were Noodles !!!!:D ;)
Uncle Kram

What a pen and ink

Post by Uncle Kram »

Following the advice of BabyRider & Venus, I decided to check out Febreeze but changed my mind when I got to the supermarket :-3

Attached files

SOJOURNER

What a pen and ink

Post by SOJOURNER »

If all the above fails, contact one of the cleaners that come in

to clean up houses with smoke damage. They have little canisters

that they open up and place around the house. Overnight you

will be stink-free. :D

Return to “Home Management”