What would you rather bee or a wasp?

A forum to discuss Home Economics. Tips and tricks to run your household.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

During the Summer my hall stairs and landing were invaded by wasps. I would get home every night to find several dead wasps in this area.

Very occasionally, one would still be buzzing around but very docile. I could see outside that they had access into the loft space, but for the life of me had no idea how they could get from there into the house as I kept all windows shut. I had a quick look in the loft in the Summer and quite a few were swarming around.

I've just had to go up there again and can report that all is quiet inside and outside on the wasp front, although I did have half a dozen dead ones land on my head when I opened the hatch. Nice.

I was heard to mutter an expletive on seeing the wasps nest shown in the attached pic.

I look at it and admire nature, but not in my loft thanks

If any of you guys have any advice I'd be grateful. I'm wondering:

a) As it's cold and snow is on the ground outside, are any likely to be alive?

b) Will they return to the nest next year?

c) Should I get it removed professionally?

d) If it's removed, will they return to the same loft?

Attached files

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

I'd me mighty careful. Wasp nests in lofts might be like the tip of an iceberg. You might get more than you've bargained for if you try and bag it yourself.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I'd love to be brave, but pain hurts me. The roof is angled here and what you can't quite see in the pic, is that it continues behind down a drop of about 8 inches to the eaves. Its not the most accessible position to operate in. Ouch...just felt a twinge in my wallet

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

When you figure it out, take it down carefully and shelac it. That's some beautiful natural art, Kram! You could get your beekeeper fee back with profit if you sell it on Ebay.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Blimey - I'd never have thought of that

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

Seeing RG's wasp nest thread made me think of this one. The wasps only used the nest for one year and never returned. I was told that the nest would disintegrate of its own accord which it has over time. The interior had hexagonal chambers exquisitly constructed . It was so light and delicate that it was pretty vulnerable. I am in the process of selling the house and one of the requirements was that I remove the nest. I just crushed what was remaining and vacuumed it up. It would have been nice to keep but was far too fragile. I've no idea how the woman in RG's thread is holding hers or how it's that heavy.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Uncle Kram;757089 wrote: Seeing RG's wasp nest thread made me think of this one. The wasps only used the nest for one year and never returned. I was told that the nest would disintegrate of its own accord which it has over time. The interior had hexagonal chambers exquisitly constructed . It was so light and delicate that it was pretty vulnerable. I am in the process of selling the house and one of the requirements was that I remove the nest. I just crushed what was remaining and vacuumed it up. It would have been nice to keep but was far too fragile. I've no idea how the woman in RG's thread is holding hers or how it's that heavy.

Maybe hers was full of honey ?
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Home Management”