has that GPS ever caused you problems?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The GPS system has been a boon to the wanderer, these last couple of decades. I love having mine.

My favorite game when in a strange area is to start from my hotel, or family/friends' home, and mark that place n my GPS, and then turn it off, then take off exploring, until I get good and lost. I then try to find my way back to my starting point, and if I Really get lost, I can fire up the GPS, and let her help me get home.

Recently, here in Colorado, we had a major highway shut down, and people who ignored the "Detour signs put up by the Highway Patrol decided their GPS knew the way.

Well in the summer time that might work.

Editorial: Don't let GPS lead you astray - Longmont Times-Call

I never used a GPS when outside the US (well, once on a trip into the Maritime Provinces) but was wondering how well Garmin and the others keep up with roads in Europe, and the UK, and other parts of the world.

What kind of adventures have your GPS' taken you on?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

I have an early garmin etrex bought for hillwalking years ago only ever used it a few times (Takes half an hour to find the stellites because I use it so seldom. ) to check my position in a white out or fog it's a great navigational AID. That's the key thing though it's an aid if you can't navigate in the first place they're not much use for instance can you find where you are on the map once you have the co-ordinates? Or get youirself out of the mess if you put in the wrong info. Used in conjunction with a map fine but if you can't read a map in the first place pretty useless especially if you can't progremme them properly.

I have both a car and a truck GPS and they're invaluable but I usually carry maps as well as I like to be able to visualise and check the route if it's a long run also I find the fastest route it's programmed for doesn't always take in to account levels of traffic at certain times of the day. In cities like glasgow and edinburgh the narrow streets and high buildings siometimes block the signal, it freezes and then jumps by which point it can be a bit awkward so having a map can be very handy. I've been stuck in a dead end trusting a GPS I was told to use that had maps three year out of date. Well not stuck but reversing a 35ft long vehicle is not fun sometimes. I've had a few you've got to be kidding me moments that's why I carry maps as well just in case (what to do if the charger in the vehicle isn't working or the gps fails both of which experiences I have had) and always use my own gps at least I know the maps are up to date even at that I've had it try and take me up a road that is now shut or was once a through route especially in rural areas when trying to locate farms with unmade roads.

So in answer to your question they work well so long as you remember it is an AID to navigation not a substitute for common sense or being able to read a map in the first place. I've been out with drivers that have any ever used a gps you just don't memorise the routes in quite the same way and if you don't look at a large scale map, - well in my experience it helps fix lacations in your memory if they programme the gps wrongly they are stuffed because they don't have the knowledge to realise there is somethimng wrong with the route being given. I've also been out with drivers that refuse to accept their gps might be wrong and plough on regardless. People blame the gps but it's usually the idiot using it at fault.

Unless I know an area well I would always follow the detour signs and just hope some wee ****e hasn't moved one of the signs. Why do people think that's funny?

Moblie phones with gps now they're highly entertaining. A lot of people don't seem to understand that they only work if you are in an area where you actually get a phone signal and using the phone that way eats up the battery life quicktime. Many's the time I've seen people standing holding their phone up towards the sun in a vain attempt to get a signal or wishing they's remembered to charge the thing in the first place. Even funnier are those who assume it will be more accurate than a GPS which they seem to regard as "old" technology.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The first GPS I got was fairly simple. It would give you map coordinates of you location within 50 meters. It had no altitude info, at all. It could plot a course on-screen of your movements.

When you are out in the boonies, 50 meters can mean a lot. Was great for helping you navigate the back country, if you have a proper Topo map to work with, but without a good map it was basically useless for figuring where you were and where you needed to go.

A friend of ours got one and liked using it on his boat. He could mark locations where the fishing was good. We were invited to go along one July 4th to a town up the coast for Independence day celebration. He used his GPS to track the route we took, planning to just follow the same track back home.

All was well on the return until I noticed the lights of another boat up ahead, and saw the Jerry and his neighbor were at the helm, very carefully following the track on the GPS. As the other boat began to get closer, and closer, I stepped to him and asked if he could see that on the GPS screen, and pointed to the boat.

He grabbed the wheel and turned to avoid a collision. Always helps if SOMEBODY is actually watching where you're going.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by larsmac

All was well on the return until I noticed the lights of another boat up ahead, and saw the Jerry and his neighbor were at the helm, very carefully following the track on the GPS. As the other boat began to get closer, and closer, I stepped to him and asked if he could see that on the GPS screen, and pointed to the boat.

He grabbed the wheel and turned to avoid a collision. Always helps if SOMEBODY is actually watching where you're going.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Know what you mean I've seen people walking along paths holding the gps in front of them. Phone apps are funnier the local park I walk the dogs in has a very poor to non existent phone signal occassionally you meet people that have been so busy looking at the phone for directions they haven't paid any attention to which way they came and are so lost they can't find their own way back to the carpark.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I remember when I went to visit a friend in the middle of nowhere, near Petersfield, there were official road signs saying :

"Lorries - Ignore SatNav"
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

One major lesson learned while driving in the country.

Set the thing to "Fastest route", instead of "Shortest route" unless you are really looking for an adventure.

We were driving through Tennessee south of Nashville, and on the way to my niece's home in a town west of Nashville.

The Garmin turned us off the interstate near Franklin, and took us the the Back of Beyond, down tractor paths, and cow trails, over a couple of crags, into a deep valley. At the end of the valley, there was an old church, and we pulled into the church parking area, and could see no way back out. The pastor came walking out and asked if were trying to get to Dickson. I said, "Yes." he said "GPS?" to which I replied "yes". He said, for us to go back behind the church and we'd see a driveway up to the Davidson's house. Go past the house and we'd see a road. Turn left, and follow that road. Pastor said he saw at least one or two cars come by any given week, following their GPS.

We followed his directions, and we came down another valley, into town.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Twice, in two different areas, the vehicle GPS took me on a road where I couldn't turn around and right up to the gate of a highly secure and presumably "secret" government installation. On both occasions the armed guards were not content to let me turn around and did a vehicle search and lengthy questioning before allowing me to leave.
ericcox

Post by ericcox »

I have heard about new smart GPS which will remember all your decisions
Thanks for us open betting tips on this forum
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Even the bad ones?

Never owned a gps. Funnily enough i can read a map and remember it....

There's no such thing as being lost. Lost is just an adventure. Roll wirh it.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Wandrin;1493939 wrote: Twice, in two different areas, the vehicle GPS took me on a road where I couldn't turn around and right up to the gate of a highly secure and presumably "secret" government installation. On both occasions the armed guards were not content to let me turn around and did a vehicle search and lengthy questioning before allowing me to leave.

I thought you lived in America? Not Russia.

Here we'D state our case, tell them to get ****ed if they held us up. "Allow you to leave????
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1493847 wrote: posted by larsmac

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Know what you mean I've seen people walking along paths holding the gps in front of them. Phone apps are funnier the local park I walk the dogs in has a very poor to non existent phone signal occassionally you meet people that have been so busy looking at the phone for directions they haven't paid any attention to which way they came and are so lost they can't find their own way back to the carpark.

Im still confused as to why human beings would want to opt for/ evolutionary disfunction..... why would a human being who has an inate sense of direction /sky/terrain/stars etc want ti dumb themselves down?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1515572 wrote: Im still confused as to why human beings would want to opt for/ evolutionary disfunction..... why would a human being who has an inate sense of direction /sky/terrain/stars etc want ti dumb themselves down?

Well, When we go back East to New England, the trees blot out the sky and the roads seem to take every point on the compass at some point, and landmarks are few and far between. Having a GPS can make the difference between getting there on time, and having an adventure every time you try go somewhere.

I have a damned good sense of direction, and last time we were out to Maine, I found a new way to get lost on the way to the daughter's house every time we left the GPS turned off.

The other thing it does that I like, is to make getting through the City expressways. As you are coming into a new City, turn it on and set a destination on the other side, and then you don't have to mind all the turns and lane shifts by reading all the signs as you speed through town at 70 MPH. More attention can be spent on minding all the other drivers.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm not sure why satnav exists as a discrete device now. As best I understand matters, a smartphone app can do everything a satnav can do. I may be missing some crucial aspect but if so I've no idea what it might be.

I've never had one, I'm quite capable of choosing my own lane and getting from any starting point to any destination. I'd have used a streetmap to find an address in the past but now if I need that degree of detail I'd use a free online journey planner.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I depend heavily on my GPS (Google). I recently purchased a Heads Up Display (HUD) for my van - it's invaluable. The HUD shows everything my phone shows with only a slight change of eye level instead of head movement and looking away from the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1515576 wrote: I'm not sure why satnav exists as a discrete device now. As best I understand matters, a smartphone app can do everything a satnav can do. I may be missing some crucial aspect but if so I've no idea what it might be.

I've never had one, I'm quite capable of choosing my own lane and getting from any starting point to any destination. I'd have used a streetmap to find an address in the past but now if I need that degree of detail I'd use a free online journey planner.

If you are out in the backcountry, Cell service may be lacking, and then your Google map will extremely useless.

I am very capable of finding my way around without a GPS, but it seems quite silly to not make use of the tools one has at one's disposal.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1515584 wrote: If you are out in the backcountry, Cell service may be lacking, and then your Google map will extremely useless.

I am very capable of finding my way around without a GPS, but it seems quite silly to not make use of the tools one has at one's disposal.

Good point. There have been many times when I have been wandrin the back roads in unfamiliar territory and have wondered where there was a town (or gas station) and there was no cell service. I keep the maps up to date on my travelin' van's GPS and it makes it easy to zoom out and get a feel for my surroundings.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm trying to comprehend this expression "Cell service may be lacking". Here in England the only place a smartphone fails to find either 3G or 4G Internet is inside a granite basement. Are you suggesting there are rural areas of America where the signal is too weak? It's not Patagonia you're describing, or the upper reaches of the Amazon?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

It is a big country with a lot of remote areas. Since there are several competing cell carriers, each with their own towers and coverage map, and two different technologies, it is easy to find "dead spots" with any given carrier.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1515597 wrote: I'm trying to comprehend this expression "Cell service may be lacking". Here in England the only place a smartphone fails to find either 3G or 4G Internet is inside a granite basement. Are you suggesting there are rural areas of America where the signal is too weak? It's not Patagonia you're describing, or the upper reaches of the Amazon?

Come to Colorado. We have hundreds of square miles of "Cell Service may be lacking"
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

It appears to be getting better, but I still lose service in certain areas where I have to drive to.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I have SatNav built into my car, which I find very useful, particularly when I need to find my way to a place I've never been before. When trying to navigate en route, maps are not much help when you're in the middle of a busy ring road. Maps don't read out directions as to what lane to get into & can be more dangerous trying to read a map than texting while driving.

On many occasions I have also used my phone with Googlemaps on headphones on my motorbike, as that also gives audio directions.

Bear in mind, also, that there is now a new category in the UK Driving Test which includes being able to follow the directions of a SatNav.

Return to “Travel Vacation”