A Living Fossil.

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
jones jones

A Living Fossil.

Post by jones jones »

This is the Welwitschia plant that only grows along a narrow strip of land in the Namib Desert, partly in Namibia and partly in Angola.

The age of the plants is difficult to guess at but some are believed to be more than 2000 years old. The Welwitschia manages to survive off moisture brought into the desert in the form of fog from the Atlantic Ocean via The Skeleton Coast. It has two leaves that grow continuously, is believed to be a relic from the Jurassic Period and apparently has hardly changed since then.

I won’t bore you by quoting its scientific name but in Afrikaans, which is one of the local languages, it’s called “tweeblaarkanniedood”, which translated directly means “two leaves that can’t die.”

I’ve been fortunate enough to travel the length and breadth of Namibia not once but twice. It is one of the most desolate yet at the same time most beautiful countries I have ever visited.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

A Living Fossil.

Post by LarsMac »

Thanks for sharing that, JJ.

I remember many years back, watching a geographic piece on the Namib and they mentioned this plant, or one like it.

I always wanted to see the Namib.

It is amazing how life will find a way to take advantage of whatever the environment offers.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
brightlikeme

A Living Fossil.

Post by brightlikeme »

We must thank u for posting the picture of Two leaf that cant Die.......

Return to “Travel Vacation”