Edinburgh, what to do there?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Where should I go, what should I see whilst in Edinburgh?
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Doesn't Buttercup live there?
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Things to do in Edinburgh: Check out 351 Edinburgh Attractions
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

I found the Three Graces round a corner in Edinburgh.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1398491 wrote: Things to do in Edinburgh: Check out 351 Edinburgh Attractions

I've looked there already, the purpose of the thread is personal recommendations, it's not me being too lazy to google :wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1398485 wrote: Doesn't Buttercup live there?

Not sure, I'll check it out :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1398492 wrote: I found the Three Graces round a corner in Edinburgh.

Round a corner? You weren't drunk and down some shady back alley were you :-2
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1398497 wrote: Round a corner? You weren't drunk and down some shady back alley were you :-2

Not at the time, no.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Betty Boop;1398495 wrote: I've looked there already, the purpose of the thread is personal recommendations, it's not me being too lazy to google :wah: Fine.. I was just trying to help
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

Here they are...

Attached files
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1398500 wrote: Here they are...

that's ok then, where were they?
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1398501 wrote: that's ok then, where were they?
In rather prestigious surroundings, you might need to take a hat.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

The Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, and Arthur's Seat. A look at the Forth Rail and Road Bridges (yes really!).

Those would be my recommendations. Don't know the intimate detail stuff.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

When I think of Edinburgh, what I really think of is this mountain range as high as the Himalayas today and one particular volcano, now long dead and eroded completely away apart from the last remnants of lava in the volcano's throat. That spike of the Earth's core is the stub of rock on which Edinburgh Castle sits.

It's really, really old.

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Couple of good museums near the Castle. The Mackintosh? And I remember one with fantastic paintings...

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1398509 wrote: The Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle, and Arthur's Seat. A look at the Forth Rail and Road Bridges (yes really!).

Those would be my recommendations. Don't know the intimate detail stuff.

We're staying quite close to the Castle and the Royal Mile so we'll visit those for sure. We're more walking about looking at architecture people than spending hours in the galleries, actually there are two of us that would spend hours in the galleries but one other who wouldn't lol so we need to find a happy medium :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

The area round the castle is a medeival city built when people walked everywhere - you don't need a car and it's actuallu anuisance having one best leave it at a park and ride if you are coming in to the centre - parking is extortionate. Depends what interests you, all the museums are good, mary kings close is a must The Real Mary King's Close if you like ghosties, I'm a sceptic but I would be loathe to spend a night there on my own - whether it's a ghost or something in the atmosphere take your pick. You can walk the same streets as burke and hare, conan doyle, alexander bell bonnie prince charlie etc etc. The new town was built in georgian times and anyone familiar with bath would feel at home. It's been occupied since stone age times. Arthur's seat is worth a look just for the views - you can see both bridges for instance. . Depends when you are visiting and how long you have.If I were you I'd do research on line to see what tweaks your interest and it also depends how much time you have. I can give you pointers as tom what I think you should prioritise. Edinburgh at festival time is unique with street theatre all over the royal mile and fringe sunday is fun. Edinburgh has two distinct characters, the cultured well off side and the industrial council estate underbelly you get in any city. The guy in the video is wrong about the accents most scots modify the speech when speaking to tourists put of courtesy.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1398521 wrote: The area round the castle is a medeival city built when people walked everywhere - you don't need a car and it's actuallu anuisance having one best leave it at a park and ride if you are coming in to the centre - parking is extortionate. Depends what interests you, all the museums are good, mary kings close is a must The Real Mary King's Close if you like ghosties, I'm a sceptic but I would be loathe to spend a night there on my own - whether it's a ghost or something in the atmosphere take your pick. You can walk the same streets as burke and hare, conan doyle, alexander bell bonnie prince charlie etc etc. The new town was built in georgian times and anyone familiar with bath would feel at home. It's been occupied since stone age times. Arthur's seat is worth a look just for the views - you can see both bridges for instance. . Depends when you are visiting and how long you have.If I were you I'd do research on line to see what tweaks your interest and it also depends how much time you have. I can give you pointers as tom what I think you should prioritise. Edinburgh at festival time is unique with street theatre all over the royal mile and fringe sunday is fun. Edinburgh has two distinct characters, the cultured well off side and the industrial council estate underbelly you get in any city. The guy in the video is wrong about the accents most scots modify the speech when speaking to tourists put of courtesy.

We're flying in, cheapest way, so no car. We have five full days to spend looking about in September. Will look up these bridges that you and Clod speak of and Arthur's seat. My brother mentioned the Botanical gardens, are they good?
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1398520 wrote: we need to find a happy medium :wah:
Found one.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1398526 wrote: Found one.

Do I infract you now for advertising :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1398529 wrote: Do I infract you now for advertising :wah:

You wanted a happy medium in Edinburgh!! Good lord.

I was going to tell the one about the Catholic Priest refusing to let the Higgs Boson into his church and then discovering he couldn't have mass there any more, but now I might not.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1398530 wrote: You wanted a happy medium in Edinburgh!! Good lord.

I was going to tell the one about the Catholic Priest refusing to let the Higgs Boson into his church and then discovering he couldn't have mass there any more, but now I might not.

:wah: No, don't.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1398530 wrote:

Boom Boom......Spot has got a sort of sense of humour.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
gmc

Post by gmc »

Betty Boop;1398522 wrote: We're flying in, cheapest way, so no car. We have five full days to spend looking about in September. Will look up these bridges that you and Clod speak of and Arthur's seat. My brother mentioned the Botanical gardens, are they good?

Didn't see your earlier post about where you are staying must have been the posting at the same time. definitely visit mary kings close. The royal mile itself is the site of the medieval city as is the grassmarket and the two old gates at either end of it, the world's end used to be the gate to the great beyond where the civilised world ended the only clue tom where they were is now a pub.

About Scotland, Edinburgh New Town

If you know what to look for the architecture on the royal mile is fascinating - medieval mixed in with the new - round deacon brodies you can still see the original tenement blocks.

Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood; The Royal Mile: Scotland

Excuse the links but it's easier than screeds of writing. The botanical gardens are good so are glasgows actually. Greyfriars kirk and graveyard are worth a look not least because JK rowling is supposed to have found some of the names in her books there, come to that you can visit the coffee shop she used to sit in. Greyfriars bobby used to hang about there as well. It's also where the highlanders were held after the 45 rebellion. speaking of hanging you can see where the scaffold used to be next to St Giles cathedral wjich has the distinction of being the only cathedral in the church of Scotland and where one of the early feminists threw a stool at the church deacon. The bus service is pretty good of you are going to the botanical gardens or out to the bridges - don't mention the trams to anyone in edinburgh. You can walk down the royal mile (it really is about a mile long) to holyrood palace and the numpty house which is supposed to be an architectural gem - cost enough anyway. arthur's seat is within walking distance as well. There's the children's museum on the way down, worth avisit as is the fudge shop. . The national museum of scotland is in chambers street - entry to the museums is free. Keep an eye out for all the closes, in scots a close is a passageway between tenements and the stone build tenement is a feature of edinburgh and glasgow nothing like a tenement flat in England. Take note of the names of the closes. Look at the chimneys of the new town - believe it or not a chimney used to be a status symbol so some of them are rather striking - you can see them from the castle walls looking iover the new town - not for nothing was edinburgh called auld reekie but some of the are amazing architectural features. make sure you look up. Walk down the mound to princes street gardens there's also jacobs ladder and the like go down them to waverley station and princes street. Calton hill is archuitectrally interesdting as well - edinbuirgh was known as the anthems of the north so the city fathers built a mini acropolis and the council lives up to the tradition of doing silly pointless things with taxpayers money. If you want to start a conversation in Edinburgh just ask where the trams are. If you look at everything you can spend all your time just in a square mile one of the walking tours might be an idea to get a flavour of the place. If you are a fan of the rebus books there ae even tours taking you to all the places featured in the books, there are trainspotting tours as well if you likes that film as well. Hope that helps.

Runrig - Cnoc Na Feille / Siol Ghoraidh - YouTube

Restless Natives - Part 1 of 6 - YouTube
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1398545 wrote: Didn't see your earlier post about where you are staying must have been the posting at the same time. definitely visit mary kings close. The royal mile itself is the site of the medieval city as is the grassmarket and the two old gates at either end of it, the world's end used to be the gate to the great beyond where the civilised world ended the only clue tom where they were is now a pub.

About Scotland, Edinburgh New Town

If you know what to look for the architecture on the royal mile is fascinating - medieval mixed in with the new - round deacon brodies you can still see the original tenement blocks.

Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood; The Royal Mile: Scotland

Excuse the links but it's easier than screeds of writing. The botanical gardens are good so are glasgows actually. Greyfriars kirk and graveyard are worth a look not least because JK rowling is supposed to have found some of the names in her books there, come to that you can visit the coffee shop she used to sit in. Greyfriars bobby used to hang about there as well. It's also where the highlanders were held after the 45 rebellion. speaking of hanging you can see where the scaffold used to be next to St Giles cathedral wjich has the distinction of being the only cathedral in the church of Scotland and where one of the early feminists threw a stool at the church deacon. The bus service is pretty good of you are going to the botanical gardens or out to the bridges - don't mention the trams to anyone in edinburgh. You can walk down the royal mile (it really is about a mile long) to holyrood palace and the numpty house which is supposed to be an architectural gem - cost enough anyway. arthur's seat is within walking distance as well. There's the children's museum on the way down, worth avisit as is the fudge shop. . The national museum of scotland is in chambers street - entry to the museums is free. Keep an eye out for all the closes, in scots a close is a passageway between tenements and the stone build tenement is a feature of edinburgh and glasgow nothing like a tenement flat in England. Take note of the names of the closes. Look at the chimneys of the new town - believe it or not a chimney used to be a status symbol so some of them are rather striking - you can see them from the castle walls looking iover the new town - not for nothing was edinburgh called auld reekie but some of the are amazing architectural features. make sure you look up. Walk down the mound to princes street gardens there's also jacobs ladder and the like go down them to waverley station and princes street. Calton hill is archuitectrally interesdting as well - edinbuirgh was known as the anthems of the north so the city fathers built a mini acropolis and the council lives up to the tradition of doing silly pointless things with taxpayers money. If you want to start a conversation in Edinburgh just ask where the trams are. If you look at everything you can spend all your time just in a square mile one of the walking tours might be an idea to get a flavour of the place. If you are a fan of the rebus books there ae even tours taking you to all the places featured in the books, there are trainspotting tours as well if you likes that film as well. Hope that helps.

Runrig - Cnoc Na Feille / Siol Ghoraidh - YouTube

Restless Natives - Part 1 of 6 - YouTube

Wow, that's a lot of info, thanks gmc, have read through it quickly but will look more thoroughly tomorrow! We're kind of hoping that all the tram stuff going on is going ensure quiet nights in our hotel seeing as on the hotel's home page it notes initially that the front rooms tend to be noisy due to a busy road, but currently the street is closed to all traffic. Long may it continue until September :D:wah:
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I can see that my brother and I are probably going to bore my sister to death with all the architecture, oh dear. Not so good considering this is a trip away to celebrate her 50th :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

Betty Boop;1398547 wrote: I can see that my brother and I are probably going to bore my sister to death with all the architecture, oh dear. Not so good considering this is a trip away to celebrate her 50th :wah:

So what interests her then. By the way there are no happy mediums in scotland - Presbyterian you see - man is not out on earth to be happy but to suffer and die, laugh and the devil gets in. Come to think of it there is the comedy club in york place. Definitely visit mary kings close I'd be curious to see what you think.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Just to put you in a holiday mood

The Gael - Albannach - YouTube
spot

Post by spot »

Have the two of you considered a social visit? Is gmc not within a bus-ride of Edinburgh? If the Boop calls round for an afternoon we can find out whether "You'll have had your tea?" is really used as a doorstep greeting up north.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1398549 wrote: So what interests her then. By the way there are no happy mediums in scotland - Presbyterian you see - man is not out on earth to be happy but to suffer and die, laugh and the devil gets in. Come to think of it there is the comedy club in york place. Definitely visit mary kings close I'd be curious to see what you think.

I can't come up with anything that my sister maybe interested in, so far she's just agreed to follow us round :wah:

Mary Kings close is on out list now, we're curious about it now :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1398607 wrote: Have the two of you considered a social visit? Is gmc not within a bus-ride of Edinburgh? If the Boop calls round for an afternoon we can find out whether "You'll have had your tea?" is really used as a doorstep greeting up north.

You, nearly killed my thread!

I'm happy enough to meet with anyone, within reason, but I'd hate to publicly badger people to meet up like you do :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

Betty Boop;1398701 wrote: I can't come up with anything that my sister maybe interested in, so far she's just agreed to follow us round :wah:

Mary Kings close is on out list now, we're curious about it now :)

Mary Kings Ghost Fest, Edinburgh - YouTube

Well the museums are free and there are plenty pubs open all day.

You, nearly killed my thread!

I'm happy enough to meet with anyone, within reason, but I'd hate to publicly badger people to meet up like you do

I would just like to second that, if people want to meet up it's up to them. I realise it was an attempt at humour but it fell on stony ground.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Just thought of one that will be where you are going anyway, and that lit a fuse that ended with the taking of Falmouth Castle: St Giles' Cathedral!

It's at the foot of the Royal Mile, I think, and it's where the row that started the Civil War kicked off:

The first use of the prayer book was in St Giles' on Sunday 23 July 1637, when James Hannay, Dean of Edinburgh, began to read the Collects, part of the prescribed service, and Jenny Geddes, a market-woman or street-seller, threw her stool straight at the Minister's head. Some sources describe it as a "fald stool" or a "creepie-stool" ..., while others claim that it was a larger, three-legged cuttie-stool. As she hurled the stool she is reported to have yelled:

"De'il gie you colic, the wame o’ ye, fause thief; daur ye say Mass in my lug? (wiki...)

The minister then replied, "That's not what it says in my copy...?" at which point the place went berserk. Honest.

So you live where the last Royalist stronghold held out, and you'd see where all that started...another sort of journey. :)

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1398709 wrote: Mary Kings Ghost Fest, Edinburgh - YouTube

Well the museums are free and there are plenty pubs open all day.

I would just like to second that, if people want to meet up it's up to them. I realise it was an attempt at humour but it fell on stony ground.

It's great that the museums are free, some art galleries around here are but the museums you have to pay for now.

I hope you meant Spot's humour and not my 'within reason' comment that was more a joke at spot rather than you :D
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1398764 wrote: Just thought of one that will be where you are going anyway, and that lit a fuse that ended with the taking of Falmouth Castle: St Giles' Cathedral!

It's at the foot of the Royal Mile, I think, and it's where the row that started the Civil War kicked off:

(wiki...)

The minister then replied, "That's not what it says in my copy...?" at which point the place went berserk. Honest.

So you live where the last Royalist stronghold held out, and you'd see where all that started...another sort of journey. :)

Ok, cool, something to research and then when we hit the right spot I can blind bro and sis with my amazing knowledge :wah: (bet you a fiver my brother already knows anyway!)
spot

Post by spot »

I'm told a trip to the Dominion is great fun, you get to watch a film from a sofa and they bring you coffee and cake. Carleton Hill should be sought out as well as Arthur's Seat. The Portrait Gallery was recently done up and it would be sinful not to get there.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Don't go up carlton hill late of an evening - or rather don't let your brother go on his own.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Not long to go now.

Think I shall be collapsing in a heap when I get there.

Now I have to organise alternative childcare, my two oldest should have been going to their Dad but yet again they're refusing to go. Won't mention why, I think maybe after my week away I will see a solicitor for advice once again regarding his contact. I don't want to stop it and be big bad mum, but I may have grounds to reduce it from the 50/50 he wants to do. He never remembers that during these periods of the kids refusing to see him he's meant to pay me maintenance either.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1404228 wrote: Not long to go now.

Think I shall be collapsing in a heap when I get there.

Now I have to organise alternative childcare, my two oldest should have been going to their Dad but yet again they're refusing to go. Won't mention why, I think maybe after my week away I will see a solicitor for advice once again regarding his contact. I don't want to stop it and be big bad mum, but I may have grounds to reduce it from the 50/50 he wants to do. He never remembers that during these periods of the kids refusing to see him he's meant to pay me maintenance either.

Send the kids over here for a couple of weeks!:driving:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

We went, we saw, we were mightily impressed.

Absolutely charming city and served to show us how badly Cornwall does things regarding tourists :-2

Even at the airport the surrounding area is clean, tidy and welcoming, not quite the case at Newquay airport, half hearted bedding plants, no so clean and not particularly friendly.

We even discovered buses have heating! We didn't know that, given that down here we get all the wrecked buses, this is their graveyard bless them. And given that they're at the end of their lives they're also very slow and a long time apart, if they come at all :rolleyes: And the cost!!! £3.50 for an all day ticket in Edinburgh, or each journey is £1.40. £1.40 would get you one fifth of the way into town around these parts, and town is not that far away :wah:

Spent one day in Stirling, another in North Berwick and a rainy day, really really rainy day lol in a new shopping centre near Leith, Ocean Terminal I think it was. Spent another day in the Botanical Gardens, walked miles that day as we walked there and back but lost our way on the way, then discovered we'd missed an entrance by a few feet! Signs are geared up for people in cars, not walkers.

Walked the Royal Mile several times, kept going back to nip down all the side alleyways looking at all the buildings, we could have spent days weaving in and out.

Spent a few hours in the Parliament Buildings looking all around.

Oh, and we were flabbergasted at the shopping centre in Edinburgh, think it was called St James', we called in to the John Lewis for a coffee and found the restaurant to be filthy, just a bit shocked that such a store could look like a truck stop :wah:

Cheap hotel, £24 per room per night for the three of us, the room was massive. Although the mattresses were akin to lying on concrete :-3. We rolled back to the hotel one night at midnight to discover that there had been a power cut which had affected the water pumps and therefore there was no water until the plumber arrived around 3am. So, we went back to the pub, the Ghillie Dhu, just up the road from us which seemed popular and had live music every night. I bet they are wondering where we are tonight ;).

We didn't mention the trams to anyone, although some mentioned it to us. We were quite happy to have the disruption, it meant no traffic on Shandwick Place so it was nice and quiet in our room as the workmen seemed to be doing less noisy work than I guess they had been previously.

We'll go back sometime, we haven't seen as much as we'd have liked to, not enough hours in the day!

Also found a couple of great Italian restaurants that served gluten free pasta and pizza, great change from constantly eating baked potato :)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I worked and stayed in Edinburgh some years ago. Lovely city with some great pubs. We rented a nice flat within the shadows of the castle and we're woken one night by the huge firework display after the Tattoo. Worth getting up for
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Snowfire;1405179 wrote: I worked and stayed in Edinburgh some years ago. Lovely city with some great pubs. We rented a nice flat within the shadows of the castle and we're woken one night by the huge firework display after the Tattoo. Worth getting up for

Too late for all the Tattoo stuff, but we did stand for almost an hour watching them taking down the stadium type seating with huge cranes yesterday.

Great pubs for sure and opposite the hotel was something called the Pleasure Palace with three bouncers on the door, we took a look at the photo's on display but were moved on and told it was a 'social studies' place :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

If it was shopping you were after Glasgow is a better city for that. How the council turned princes street, fprmerly one of the premier shopping areas in to one of the biggest eyesores in scotland is a really boring story in itself. They have a harvey nichols for all the tourists most scots aren't daft enough to pay the prices for all the fancy labels.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1405225 wrote: If it was shopping you were after Glasgow is a better city for that. How the council turned princes street, fprmerly one of the premier shopping areas in to one of the biggest eyesores in scotland is a really boring story in itself. They have a harvey nichols for all the tourists most scots aren't daft enough to pay the prices for all the fancy labels.

We weren't after shopping, just made sense on a really rainy day to head to something undercover where we could just wander with the option of heading out if the rain eased.

We didn't go in Harvey Nics either, we did walk by and laugh doing an impression of the women off Ab fab. There are some really posh seeming shops around there, we walked through and then stumbled on another shopping centre which we entered not for shopping but for a tea break. Everywhere nowadays is all coffee shops, but bro and sis are huge tea drinkers, places have to have teapots too, they won't settle for a cup with a bag in it lol. It's getting harder and harder to find just a basic cafe, they've all been stomped out by the likes of Costa and Starbucks sadly, hence us seeking out department stores which still seem to do teapots and real china :wah:
stacyjmes1

Post by stacyjmes1 »

Edinburg castle is a great place of visitor attraction.
brightlikeme

Post by brightlikeme »

This thread is making hungry for a vacation ....................but not until October , The vacation starts than

Return to “Travel Vacation”