Utah Amber Alert

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
Peg

Utah Amber Alert

Post by Peg »

Amber Alert Issued for 8 Year old Utah girl

Posted: Tuesday July 26, 2005 9:58 PM CT

The Salt Lake City Police Department and the state of Utah issued the Amber Alert on Tuesday night after it was reported a girl was forced in to a van by a male suspect.

8 year old Utah Girl 8 years old. She was seen wearing baggy grean shorts and white tank top. Her height and weight are unknown at this time.

The suspect is a male, 35-40 years of age, thin build. His hair is brown and is cut in a mullet. He is wearing a black short sleve shirt and black pants. The vehicle is a gray or light blue full size van older make with rust spots.

Anyone with information is Asked to call the Salt Lake City Police department at 801-799-3000 or dial 911.
mominiowa

Utah Amber Alert

Post by mominiowa »

Here we go again....I will call my sis and get the info- Maybe she can forward a photo from the local news.........Damn people!:-5

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
robinseggs

Utah Amber Alert

Post by robinseggs »

Are we sure this one's legit??? Details seem all too familiar to the typical made up story......older model beat up van w/ rust spots???!!!! I dunno...just suspicious I guess. Do we have an identity on the missing girl???
Nature laughs Last
Peg

Utah Amber Alert

Post by Peg »

I haven't heard any more. You would think by now there would be a parent noticing their child is missing.
robinseggs

Utah Amber Alert

Post by robinseggs »

Exactly...that is why this may be a hoax again......don't you think?
Nature laughs Last
BTS

Utah Amber Alert

Post by BTS »

With LC out of commision and being a ex-Utahan I thought I should add to this story.

It is kind of a sketchy case:

Amber Alert stays in effect, but no crime is confirmed

Child taken? Police track leads after a witness said a girl, 8, was forced into a van in Sugar House

By Michael N. Westley

The Salt Lake Tribune

Investigators on Wednesday were tracking down a "few dozen" leads received in response to an Amber Alert issued by Salt Lake City police Tuesday evening.

Authorities kept the alert in effect on Wednesday despite not having verified that a young girl had been kidnapped from a Sugar House street.

The alert was issued about 7:15 p.m. Tuesday after a witness reported seeing a girl, described as about 8 years old, being scooped into a van about 5 p.m.

As of Wednesday night, police had not received any reports of missing children, did not know the identity of the girl or the relationship between her and the man driving the van.

Still, they felt confident that there was sufficient cause to issue the alert and keep it in effect, said police spokesman Dwayne Baird.

"The best case scenario is that we'd have a father call up and say, 'That was me and she is my daughter,' " said Baird.

A Walgreen employee observed the girl walking east across the parking lot of a strip mall on the corner of 900 East and 2100 South. As the girl stepped onto the sidewalk, a southbound van pulled to the side of the road. The driver jumped out, placed the girl in the van and drove off quickly, the witness told police. No other witnesses reported the incident, Baird said.

Officers from police agencies throughout the state looked for a light blue or gray full-size van with tinted windows and a partial license plate listing of MWC. The van's driver was described by the witness, who was standing on the opposite side of 900 East, as a Caucasian male in his mid-30s with a slim build and a mullet haircut.

The girl was wearing baggy green pants and a white tank top. She stands about 4 feet tall and weighs about 80 pounds, the witness told police.

Under the guidelines for Utah's Amber Alert plan, the following questions must be answered affirmatively by police:

l Is this believed to be a child abduction?

l Was this child 17 years of age or younger or an individual with proven mental or physical disability?

* Is there reason to believe the victim is in imminent danger or serious bodily injury or death?

* Is there information to send to the public which could assist in the safe recovery of the victim or apprehension of a suspect?

To ensure the Amber Alert system remains credible with the public, the form on which these questions appear states: "Please do NOT send Amber Alert if the answer is no to any of these questions. The alert is not to be used for cases involving custodial disputes or runaways unless they meet the criteria."

Attorney General's Office spokesman Paul Murphy, who helps oversee Utah's Amber Alert program, said the plan is designed to put the decision to issue an alert in the hands of the police agency handling the case.

"Sometimes you don't have all the information, so you have to make a difficult decision based on the evidence you have on hand," he said.

Tuesday's Amber Alert was a case of erring on the side of caution, police said.

"In the case that we have an abducted 8-year-old, we want to be ahead of the game," Baird said.

mwestley@sltrib.com
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
CARLA

Utah Amber Alert

Post by CARLA »

I saw this young girl on TV this morning, she was explaining how she got away from her abductor, seemed legit to mel... brave litte girl..:-6 she is free and giving the police a good description of the man.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

robinseggs

Utah Amber Alert

Post by robinseggs »

So what actually happened? How did she get away?
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”