Idaho AMBER Alert

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

this is all i have on this right now, no suspect info yet.....Tombstone keep your eyes peeled! ......

AMBER Alert for Dylan James Groene - Coeur D'Alene, ID on 05-17-2005

If you have information contact: Kootenai County Sheriff Office

Phone: 208-446-1300

Email: None

Abduction Information

Case Number: 05-11162

Date Last Seen: 05-16-2005

Time Last Seen: 06:30 PM

Location Last Seen: Interstate 90 & Frontage Road in Coeur D'Alene, ID

Incident Information

Two children are missing from the residence of a homicide investigation/suspicious death in Coeur d'Alene/Kootenai County, Idaho. Victim(s)

Victim 1

Name: Dylan James Groene

Race: White

Gender/Sex: Male

Hair Color: Blonde

Eye Color: Blue

Height: 4'0"

Weight: 60lbs

Clothing: Unknown

Other: Dylan has a short blonde crew cut.

Victim 2

Name: Shasta Kay Groene

Race: White

Gender/Sex: Female

Hair Color: Brown

Eye Color: Hazel

Height: 3'10"

Weight: 40lbs

Clothing: Unknown

Other: Shasta has long auburn brown hair to her buttocks.

Suspect(s)

lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

.....COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) Three people were found slain in a home, and an Amber Alert was issued Tuesday for two children who live there, authorities said.

The dead were a woman believed to be the missing children's mother, a teenager believed to be their older brother and an unidentified adult male, sheriffs Capt. Ben Wolfinger said.

Authorities have no idea who took the boy and girl, he said. The missing children, Shasta Groene, 8, and her 9-year-old brother, Dillon, live at the house with their mother, the sheriffs office said.

Authorities were called about 6:15 p.m. Monday by a neighbor who reported "suspicious circumstances" at the house on a bay of Lake Coeur d'Alene, Wolfinger said.

The bodies bore obvious signs of injury, but the cause of death remained undetermined, he said. "They're treating it as an obvious homicide," Wolfinger said.

The mother and father of the children are divorced, Wolfinger said. Investigators have talked with the father, and he is not considered a suspect or person of interest.
mominiowa

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by mominiowa »

Here we go again..........:( Does it ever stop? :-5

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

massive ground search. FBI is in now, still no suspect information. that's bad. unless the sheriff is witholding, but he would not withold car make or model. this is a real mystery. poor kids are in the company of a killer. highly endangered. if you live out that way in surrounding states, please look at their pictures carefully. what worries me is the abductor knows he/she cannot be found with those children. needs to get rid of them.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

It bothers me the way they say "victim 1". I realize that yes, they are victims, but it almost sounds as if they really don't expect to find those kids alive.
David813

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by David813 »

Sadly there are so many of these Amber Alerts that it's not alarming anymore. Like too many sirens at night. At the first few you jump up and peer out the window. After so many you just bump up the volume on the telly. National alerts are a great idea and have helped many but I fear the Wolf Crying so often weakens this program.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
David813

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by David813 »

flopstock wrote: Well david ..I may be reading this all wrong, but seems to me that 3 bodies indicates that this is not in fact a case of 'wolf'.

I just hope one of these two kids realised what was going on, grabbed the other and took off. Odds are way against it, but a moms got to hope.I meant that so many of these crimes have made the Amber system so repetitive that it isn't as alarming as before. I think my comparison to hearing so many sirens after awhile numbs you to just thinking "Oh no, another one...how awful." Of course each of these tragedies are horrible and devastating to all related, but the fact is nationalizing crime victims numbs us all even more.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

no photo yet......... Investigators have identified a "person of interest" in a triple slaying at a home in the quaint Idaho community of Coeur d'Alene and the disappearance of two children from the home, and they've issued a lookout for an Idaho man and two pickup trucks he may be driving.

The killings have shocked the community and prompted massive searches for the two missing children, identified as 9-year-old Dylan and 8-year-old Shasta Groene.

Kootenai County Sheriff identified the person they want to talk to as Robert Roy Lutner, 33, of Hayden, Idaho. The lookout is for a 1975 Silver Ford pick-up, Idaho license K161057, or a 1990 white Toyota pickup with Idaho license K308811.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

the "person of interest" lutner.....
BTS

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by BTS »

This might be him here?

http://cl.idaho.gov/pressreleases/archived/122799.htm

Department of Labor Press Releases

Conviction for Unemployment Insurance Fraud

December 27, 1999
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
BTS

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by BTS »

Two children missing from scene of killings

By DAVETURNER

Staff writer Police identify 'person of interest' late Tuesday

WOLF LODGE BAY -- Authorities were still searching late Tuesday for two children missing from a triple-murder scene near Wolf Lodge Bay.

At the same time, officers were seeking a "person of interest" in the disappearance of Dylan Groene, 9, and Shasta Groene, 8, from the home.

Robert Roy Lutner, 33, Hayden, was being sought, said Kootenai County Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger. He was reportedly driving a 1975 Silver Ford pickup, Idaho license K161057, or a 1990 white Toyota pickup with Idaho license K308811.

Wolfinger said Lutner is believed to have been visiting the Groene home on Sunday evening.

"I believe he's a friend of the family," Wolfinger said.

An Amber Alert has been issued for Shasta Groene and her brother Dylan Groene.

Shasta is 3-foot-10 and

40 pounds with long auburn hair and hazel eyes, and Dylan Groene is 4 feet and 60 pounds, with a blond crewcut and blue eyes.

"We have two separate investigations going on," said Kootenai County Sheriff Rocky Watson. "One into the triple homicide, one into the missing children."

Watson added there were no suspects in either case, and deputies have no idea where the children are.

On Tuesday, Sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said detectives talked with the children's father, Steven Vincent Groene, 47, and he is not considered a suspect or person of interest in their disappearance.

"He's as concerned about the kids as we are," Wolfinger said.

Authorities said both children lived at the house with their mother, Brenda Kay Groene, 40, who Tuesday afternoon was confirmed as one of the victims. Court records showed she also went by her maiden name, Matthews, after she and Steven Groene divorced.

Another son, Slade Groene, 13, was identified as one of the victims. The third victim was identified as Brenda Groene's live-in boyfriend, Mark Edward McKenzie, 37.

Watson said the killer is still at large.

"It was not murder-suicide," he said. "It was murder."

The three people were found dead at the home at 12725 Frontage Road about 6:45 Monday night after a neighbor reported "suspicious circumstances" about a half-hour before.

The neighbor had gone to the house to pay the 13-year-old for mowing his lawn over the weekend and noticed something was amiss, Wolfinger said.

The neighbor, Bob Hollingsworth, said he grew suspicious because dogs were barking and the door of one vehicle was open while none of his neighbors were in sight.

"I had a bad feeling," he said. "There was always a kid or dog or something that comes out of there."

Late Tuesday afternoon, investigators were still at the home processing the crime scene as tracking teams and search dogs crisscrossed the land around the house, looking for clues to the missing children.

Both children attend Fernan Elementary School. They attended classes Friday, but were not at school Monday. District officials said counselors were at the school Tuesday and prepared to speak with the pair's classmates.

On Tuesday, investigators went in and out of the cinderblock home, located a stone's throw from Interstate 90 about nine miles east of Coeur d'Alene, collecting evidence of the killings.

Authorities said the crime scene is loaded with evidence of the killings, which investigators are now sifting through.

Earlier in the day, detectives seized and hauled away a late-model Ford pickup from the scene.

But the whereabouts of the two youngest children was of the most concern to the investigators.

"We can process the scene anytime," Wolfinger said.

There were unsubstantiated reports the children have been missing since Sunday. They were last seen by a neighbor Saturday afternoon.

Steven and Brenda Groene were separated in 1998 and divorced in 2001. Brenda Groene had custody of the three younger children and her husband had custody of two older children, Vance Robert, now 20, and Jesse, 18, court records showed.

"None of it can even begin to make sense," Vance Groene told KREM-TV. "They've always been taught don't talk to strangers, they never left the yard.

"The only thing I really have to look forward to in this situation is a positive outcome with my brother and my sister," he added.

Wolfinger said it was not immediately known there were two missing children when deputies arrived at the scene early Monday night.

Wolfinger said there was some difficulty activating the Amber Alert system.

"About midnight, we found out about the two kids who were involved," he said. "We tried to issue an Amber Alert, but the state said it didn't meet the criteria for an Amber Alert, so we issued a safety alert instead."

Idaho State Police Capt. Wayne Longo confirmed there was a lag in getting the children on the system.

"It didn't meet the national criteria, because there was no confirmation of an abduction or a time they were taken," Longo said.

Longo said when he looked into the request, he said he approved the launch a few minutes later.

The Amber Alert system is designed to help searchers find children who may have been abducted and are in imminent danger. It is named for 9-year-old Amber Hagerman of Arlington, Texas, who was killed after being kidnapped while riding her bicycle near her home in 1996.

But Tuesday at the Groene home, deputies continued to be guarded about the cause of death.

"We're not even close to releasing that information," Wolfinger said.

There also was no word about any suspects, and Wolfinger said all surviving family members have been accounted for.

He said investigators have yet to search the home for evidence of any other possible criminal activity.

While McKenzie's local record shows only a speeding ticket last year, Brenda Groene's record covers three printed pages of mostly minor driving infractions.

But her record also shows arrests for passing bad checks, DUI, driving without privileges and without insurance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Many of her court notations are as the parent of two older children who were in trouble with the law.

Vance Robert Groene served time in the state's juvenile detection facility in St. Anthony for stealing a firearm, possession of drug paraphernalia and burglary. He has a Coeur d'Alene address.

His brother, Jesse Groene has been in jail since February on charges of burglary and grand theft auto, as well as for damaging a jail cell.

Watson said the FBI, Spokane city and Spokane county detectives have joined the investigation. It's hoped if there's any links to crimes Spokane detectives are working on, the amount of evidence gathered will help to generate leads.

But for now, it's still a mystery.

Anyone with information about the case or the two missing children is asked to call (208) 446-2292 or (208) 446-2293.

Staff writers Lynn Berk, Bill Buley and the Associated Press contributed to this story.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

lutner has made contact with authorities and is being interviewed at this moment.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

i am going to give my opinion. note, OPINION. the deceased adults have drug arrest histories. they were bound and tortured. this smacks of drug deal gone bad, and possibly meth because of the extreme viciousness. their heads were bashed in with a blunt object, an up-close and personal method.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

presser just now on FOX.... lutner has been eliminated as a person of interest..... SCUBA divers in nearby ponds. family members will be holding public presser later today, no time definate yet. FBI forensic team in charge of house evidence.
robinseggs

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by robinseggs »

Wow...those poor children have to be dead. Maybe they witnessed something and their bodies alone may have become evidence??? So sad. I don't think they ran and hid in the woods as was speculated at one point, because I think they would have "surfaced" somewhere by now. Ladycop, your theory could ring true and how sad for the innocent victims of irresponsible parents who take drugs.
Nature laughs Last
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

county coroner says the two deceased adults had illicit drugs in their systems. was not specific as to type.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

....COEUR d'ALENE, Idaho — The father of two children who disappeared after the bludgeoned bodies of three family members were found in their Idaho home told FOX News that authorities do not believe he was telling the truth after giving him a polygraph test.

Steven Groene , 47, said it feels "pretty devastating" to be doubted over such serious allegations. In an interview with FOX News' Geraldo Rivera, Groene said he was asleep between 10 p.m. last Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday, the period in which police believe the crimes took place. He also said he and his ex-wife, Brenda Kay Groene ), 40, had had a severe argument over his request to make an unscheduled visit to the two children, Dylan and Shasta, two days earlier.

Steven Groene maintained his innocence and reminded everyone he volunteered to take polygraph, DNA and urine tests.

"They don't think I'm being truthful" about not knowing where the children are, he said of authorities after the lie-detector test was administered.

" said, 'You know something about the whereabouts of your children?' I said, 'No way," he said.He added that he was truthful about his history alcohol and drug. Investigators on Friday had concluded the crime scene investigation at the home, but still had no hard leads as of that day.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

3kidzforme wrote: The amber alert webpage says that the alert for Dylan has been cancelled per the county sherrif's dept ..... is it safe to assume they have found his body or him alive?i do not know if a body has been found, but the AMBER alert may have been cancelled because there is no criteria met...no description of abductor or vehicle.
robinseggs

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by robinseggs »

This whole story seems to have dropped out of the news....
Nature laughs Last
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

it is disturbing, but they are now searching a landfill. this is very strange. no bodies. no kids. i have never seen a situation like this with no resolution after all this time.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

The good news is, they were looking for evidence in the landfill of a murder weapon, etc. They now believe the children are still alive after DNA tests came back. Authorities are hoping with this being such a huge travel weekend, that someone will spot them.
robinseggs

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by robinseggs »

Peg wrote: The good news is, they were looking for evidence in the landfill of a murder weapon, etc. They now believe the children are still alive after DNA tests came back. Authorities are hoping with this being such a huge travel weekend, that someone will spot them.

Really???!! That would be so wonderful..I pray they are safe....maybe with someone that selfishly took them away out of what they felt was only love. It seems often in cases like this when they go dead silent it's because detectives have finally cracked it and haven't released the news yet because they are still getting the facts together or don't want to tip off the perpetrator... So hopefully the next news we hear will be good news and a solution.
Nature laughs Last
Tombstone

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Tombstone »

It's all been a pretty horrible experience for everyone here. (I live near Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.)

For originating news - the CDA Press is the local paper - and of course, they are covering this story like there's no tomorrow.

Check out www.cdapress.com
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

thankyou for the link Tombstone....this has me mystified. so atypical. i'll bet that is all you're hearing on your news.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

well this is somewhat interesting...the forensics say none of the copious blood in the house was the kids'........so just maybe they are still alive.
libertine

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by libertine »

I was in Idaho, near Cd'A when this happened. i have since not been able to keep up. Did they ever find the kids? When we left the area, the authorities were pinning a lot of hope on the Memorial Day weekend in hopes with lots of people in the woods of that area someone would find something.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

Nope. They have not been found. :(
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

The girl has been found and says her brother is still alive too! I haven't really gotten to hear any of the details yet.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

Missing Girl, 8, Found Alive In Idaho

No Word On Whereabouts Of Brother

POSTED: 11:17 am EDT July 2, 2005

UPDATED: 11:35 am EDT July 2, 2005

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- An 8-year-old girl who has been missing since May was found Saturday at a Denny's restaurant in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho.

AP

Shasta Groene and her brother, Dylan, have been missing since May 16 -- the day bodies of their mother, Brenda Groene, 40, her boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, 37, and their brother, Slade, 13, were found in an isolated house near Lake Coeur d'Alene.

A dispatcher for the Kootenai County Sheriff's Department confirmed that the girl had been found.

The dispatcher, who did not want to be named, had no information on the missing 9-year-old boy.

Deputies could not be immediately reached for further detail
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

WOW!! writing to Tombstone now.........

Missing Idaho Girl Found

Shasta Groene, 8, safe and sound

Girl who vanished after triple murder spotted by waitress at local Denny's; grandmother tells FOX brother Dylan also found; North Dakota man arrested

lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

it seems the brother may be dead. .........Missing Idaho Girl Found Alive

Brother feared dead

Cops arrest N.D. man after waitress spots Shasta Groene at local Denny's; brother Dylan, 9, still missing
mominiowa

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by mominiowa »

Police Searching For Missing Idaho Boy Find Human Remains

POSTED: 6:43 am CDT July 4, 2005

UPDATED: 5:11 pm CDT July 4, 2005

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho -- Idaho authorities are refusing to speculate if human remains found in western Montana are those of a missing 0-year-old boy.

Kootenai County sheriff's Capt. Ben Wolfinger said the remains would be sent for DNA analysis.

The remains were discovered during a search for Dylan Groene. His sister Shasta, 8, was found Saturday with a registered sex offender Joseph Edward Duncan III, 42, of Fargo, N.D. Authorities planned to charge Duncan with kidnapping and being a fugitive from justice.

Duncan is being held without bond. Authorities said he has requested a lawyer and is refusing to talk.

Earlier Sunday, Wolfinger said police "seriously believe" that Dylan is no longer alive.

Shasta is still hospitalized. She turned up over the weekend in a Denny's restaurant with Duncan more than six weeks after she and her brother disappeared from their Idaho home.

Their mother, another brother and the mother's boyfriend were found dead in their home.

Police said that since the arrest, they've had about 100 tips that specifically deal with locations where Duncan and his car may have been seen in recent weeks.

The children's father said that his recovered daughter is "very upbeat." Steven Groene spoke for the first time publicly about the abduction of his daughter and son when he was interviewed Sunday by Fox News' Geraldo Rivera.

Groene said being reunited with his daughter, Shasta, Saturday was "one of the better moments of his life." He said he's been asked by police not to ask her questions about her ordeal.

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
Tombstone

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Tombstone »

Peg wrote: The girl has been found and says her brother is still alive too! I haven't really gotten to hear any of the details yet.
Darn FOX News. That was a big disappointment when they were touting that both of the kids were alive. During this exact time in the early morning - neither the Sheriff nor the Capt. of the CDA police said that Dillon was recovered or okay.

I talked to some of the nurses that worked at the hospital where Shasta was staying and they said that Shasta was still under the impression that her brother was alive. However, I got this info on July 3rd.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

If Shasta were under the impression that he is still alive, that's a good sign. That would still leave another body to be identified.
lady cop

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by lady cop »

..........Idaho girl tells police about attack on family

Duncan appears before a judge via video-link.

Eight-year-old Shasta Groene told investigators she saw Joseph Edward Duncan III tie up members of her family in their home on the day authorities say they were killed, according to an investigative report released Tuesday. She also accused the registered sex offender of molesting both her and her brother. The FBI has asked some Montana residents for help with the case.

FULL STORY.................and this.....

Kidnapped Girl: We Were Molested

Court documents detail ordeal
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

I really hope someone gets to him and kills his sorry ass before some idiot judge lets him out on bail again or some idiot prosecutor fails to do his job. The killing of Duncan, in my opinion, would be justifiable homicide. The idiot judge that set his bail previously so low, should be held accountable too.
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

Missing Idaho Boy Confirmed Dead, FBI Says

The human remains found at a remote campsite in Montana last week have been

positively identified as those of 9-year-old Dylan Groene, authorities said

Sunday.

MORE DETAILS:
minks

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by minks »

Peg wrote: Missing Idaho Boy Confirmed Dead, FBI Says

The human remains found at a remote campsite in Montana last week have been

positively identified as those of 9-year-old Dylan Groene, authorities said

Sunday.

MORE DETAILS:

Oh geeze that is so what we did not want to hear isn't it. Imagine the therapy his sister is going to need. That poor poor girl
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Peg

Idaho AMBER Alert

Post by Peg »

minks wrote: Oh geeze that is so what we did not want to hear isn't it. Imagine the therapy his sister is going to need. That poor poor girl

God only knows what this girl has seen and been through. I wonder even with the best therapy in the world, how she will be able to live a normal life. :-1

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”