Haleigh Cummings-Florida

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

LINK

Investigators think missing Fla. girl was abducted

1 hour ago

SATSUMA, Fla. (AP) — Investigators were treating the disappearance of a 5-year-old north Florida girl as an abduction and continued searching for the child Thursday.

The Putnam County Sheriff's Office said investigators assume Haleigh Cummings was abducted because house-to-house searches of the neighborhood Wednesday found no evidence that she wandered away.

Haleigh's father Ronald Cummings also said he didn't believe she had left their home in the middle of the night.

"I know somebody took her. I know for a fact she didn't wander off — she's afraid of the dark," Cummings told NBC's "Today" on Thursday.

Haleigh was last seen Monday night in her father's mobile home in Satsuma. The rural community along the St. Johns River is about 70 miles north of Orlando.

She was reported missing when her father returned home from work early Tuesday. His girlfriend had woken up and discovered the child was missing.

The girlfriend, 17-year-old Misty Croslin, told a 911 dispatcher that a back door that was usually locked had been propped open by a brick.

Sheriff Jeff Hardy told NBC's "Today" that searches for Haleigh by air, ground and water would continue Thursday. Investigators also were interviewing the 44 sex offenders living within 5 miles of Ronald Cummings' home.

Attached files
User avatar
abbey
Posts: 15069
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by abbey »

Any news Peg?
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

abbey;1133247 wrote: Any news Peg?


It appears to have been made an Amber Alert. Perhaps the guidelines have changed since I last looked at them. I don't remember seeing one where there was no information whatever about the abductor or vehicle before.

Still, perhaps it needs moving to the other forum area.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

abbey;1133247 wrote: Any news Peg?


No. :-1 The father's girlfriend claims to have taken a lie detector test and passed but that's about all.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

Peg;1133411 wrote: No. :-1 The father's girlfriend claims to have taken a lie detector test and passed but that's about all.


We're absolutely guaranteed that she's been cleared, Amber Alerts only happen for abductions:AMBER plans require law enforcement to confirm an abduction prior to issuing an alert. This is essential when determining the level of risk to the child. Clearly, stranger abductions are the most dangerous for children and thus are primary to the mission of an AMBER Alert. To allow activations in the absence of significant information that an abduction has occurred could lead to abuse of the system and ultimately weaken its effectiveness

AMBER Alert - Guidelines

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

I read there are 44 registered sex offenders within a 5 mile radius of her home. I don't know what worries me more. The 44 registered or the ones who aren't registered.
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Odie »

She's been missing since Monday night.

how was she taken from their home?
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

Peg;1133572 wrote: I read there are 44 registered sex offenders within a 5 mile radius of her home. I don't know what worries me more. The 44 registered or the ones who aren't registered.


Tell me Peg, would people on the East Coast have behaved that way a hundred years ago? No? So, has the nature of humankind evolved that much in a mere hundred years, or has the country they grow up in changed that much instead? I'd not take this thread off topic but you posted an aside that I felt needed following up. By all means remove the two posts to a new thread if you prefer.

It's possible that the answer to my question is yes, too.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by sunny104 »

spot;1133690 wrote: Tell me Peg, would people on the East Coast have behaved that way a hundred years ago? No? So, has the nature of humankind evolved that much in a mere hundred years, or has the country they grow up in changed that much instead? I'd not take this thread off topic but you posted an aside that I felt needed following up. By all means remove the two posts to a new thread if you prefer.

It's possible that the answer to my question is yes, too.


I don't get the question. Do you feel a country can make someone behave a certain way? How do you feel about having the same system in your country? United Kingdom - Missing Children Website
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

sunny104;1133748 wrote: I don't get the question. Do you feel a country can make someone behave a certain way? Obviously not. "Make" is a huge word. Is there more of a tendency for some people to behave this way than the population behaved on the East Coast a hundred years ago? That was what I asked. I don't know the answer. I asked Peg her opinion because she seemed to be bemoaning the increased and large numbers of perverts in the area. I asked whether she thought the nature of people had changed significantly or the nature of the society they live in.



sunny104 wrote: How do you feel about having the same system in your country? United Kingdom - Missing Children WebsiteI'm very much in favour of anything that helps missing children to reconnect with their family if they want to be reconnected, especially those who've been abducted and need rescuing. I think the entire Amber Alert system is a confidence trick perpetrated on the US electorate to make thim think something useful is being done about it. The problem is massive, the Amber Alert system is a trivial inadequate news-generating band-aid.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

spot;1133759 wrote: Obviously not. "Make" is a huge word. Is there more of a tendency for some people to behave this way than the population behaved on the East Coast a hundred years ago? That was what I asked. I don't know the answer. I asked Peg her opinion because she seemed to be bemoaning the increased and large numbers of perverts in the area. I asked whether she thought the nature of people had changed significantly or the nature of the society they live in.



I'm very much in favour of anything that helps missing children to reconnect with their family if they want to be reconnected, especially those who've been abducted and need rescuing. I think the entire Amber Alert system is a confidence trick perpetrated on the US electorate to make thim think something useful is being done about it. The problem is massive, the Amber Alert system is a trivial inadequate news-generating band-aid.


Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you Spot. I started to earlier, the computer died, and I had to leave. Busy, busy day. Anyways, IMO, and it's only an opinion, I feel that perverts existed a hundred years ago. I think it was probably kept hushed. I just find it sad that so many exist.

As for the Amber Alert system, we know where each other stands on it so there's no use rehashing it. I have said it before, and I'll say it again, if it saves one child, that band-aid is well worth it to me.
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

Nothing new to report in the case.:-1 Caylee Anthony's grandfather is trying to help.
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

They've stopped searching. :(
User avatar
Odie
Posts: 33482
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:10 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Odie »

Peg;1136088 wrote: They've stopped searching. :(


was waiting to hear that....its been a week.:-1

thanks Peg.
Life is just to short for drama.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

I don't think I remember quite such a storm of outrage as that generated by this article. Well done to the author, I agree with her entirely.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by sunny104 »

spot;1133759 wrote:



The problem is massive, the Amber Alert system is a trivial inadequate news-generating band-aid.


Spot, it doesn't matter to me how you feel about the amber alert system and maybe you already know the history but it was started by a Texas mom, the mom of 9 year old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped in her neighborhood by a stranger. Another neighbor spotted the abduction and was able to describe the man and the truck but what could anyone really do at that point other than let all law enforcement officials know. This way the media and the regular citizens can be aware of it too and it does help. It's better than nothing.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

sunny104;1137734 wrote: Spot, it doesn't matter to me how you feel about the amber alert system and maybe you already know the history but it was started by a Texas mom, the mom of 9 year old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnapped in her neighborhood by a stranger. Another neighbor spotted the abduction and was able to describe the man and the truck but what could anyone really do at that point other than let all law enforcement officials know. This way the media and the regular citizens can be aware of it too and it does help. It's better than nothing.


Have you the slightest idea how many hundreds of millions of dollars have been sunk into the scheme nationally? I can find only four instances of children taken by a stranger and recovered because of an Amber Alert out of the 500 or so alerts they've ever raised, and all of those were cases of their being in a car which was then stolen by the offender. I don't believe any of those four were sexually motivated crimes. By all means show me cases I've missed, the information I checked against (from the Amber Alert site itself which is appallingly coy as far as statistics is concerned) only reaches as far as mid-2006.

It isn't "better than nothing", it's a con.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

Only 4 were found and they weren't with sexual predators. So what? 4 were found and safe. If your child or grandchild was missing, would you not want to use ever means possible to get the word out and find that child? You want to depend on the police to do their jobs without the public's help? If it's in the public eye, IMO, and it's my OPINION only, they are more likely to try to find the child.
User avatar
sunny104
Posts: 11986
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:25 am

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by sunny104 »

spot;1137755 wrote: Have you the slightest idea how many hundreds of millions of dollars have been sunk into the scheme nationally? I can find only four instances of children taken by a stranger and recovered because of an Amber Alert out of the 500 or so alerts they've ever raised, and all of those were cases of their being in a car which was then stolen by the offender. I don't believe any of those four were sexually motivated crimes. By all means show me cases I've missed, the information I checked against (from the Amber Alert site itself which is appallingly coy as far as statistics is concerned) only reaches as far as mid-2006.

It isn't "better than nothing", it's a con.


ok, we'll have to disagree then. Do you have a better idea of things that can be done to either prevent a kidnapping from happening or successfully recovering a child after they have already been kidnapped?
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

sunny104;1137802 wrote: ok, we'll have to disagree then. Do you have a better idea of things that can be done to either prevent a kidnapping from happening or successfully recovering a child after they have already been kidnapped?


Adequate policing.

Peg's "so what" really does sum up everything there is to be said on the subject. If it's not effective then it's a diversion from doing something that works.

I'll tell you what would work. Massive public surveillance so that the police would know where everyone was in real-time and where they'd been in the past. Now tell me that privacy issues are more important than adequate policing, Peg.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

spot;1137813 wrote: Adequate policing.

Peg's "so what" really does sum up everything there is to be said on the subject. If it's not effective then it's a diversion from doing something that works.

I'll tell you what would work. Massive public surveillance so that the police would know where everyone was in real-time and where they'd been in the past. Now tell me that privacy issues are more important than adequate policing, Peg.


How would this public surveillance take place? I could tell you that privacy issues are more important than adequate policing Spot, but I'd be lying.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

Peg;1137836 wrote: How would this public surveillance take place? I could tell you that privacy issues are more important than adequate policing Spot, but I'd be lying.


There are lots of alternative ways of achieving that level of surveillance, all it takes is a general public consent. Detectors at every road intersection recording timestamped vehicle registrations would go a long way toward it, immediately accessible to all law enforcement offices. Face recognition software logging everyone in and out of public transport systems and state or federal buildings, immediately accessible to all law enforcement offices.. Timestamp logs of all cellphone chirps registered by all cellphone towers, immediately accessible to all law enforcement offices. All of the logs permanently archived, not date-expired. All of these measures have been proposed in the UK and vetoed or criticised by the data protection office on privacy grounds. I'd go further and have city-wide RDIF logging as well, cross-referenced to all billing transactions to identify who's associated with each RDIF tag.

All of it's invisible, none of it has any consequence to anyone except criminals. It's still not acceptable to most voters. It's time they were educated in the beneficial effects it would have on their lives.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

Media sensationalism not unsurprisingly starts to take over...Hayleigh's maternal grandmother suspects there's more to the story, Cobiella points out. Asked if she thinks Croslin has anything to do with the girl's disappearance, Marie Griffs replied, "It's a possibility. She was there, that was her watch, Haleigh was in her care." That was flatly denied by Cummings, who told media members, "She had nothing to do with this. I had nothing to do with this."

The child's father and his girlfriend have taken lie detector tests, Cobiella adds. Results haven't been released.

Haleigh's Dad Denies Girlfriend Involved, Five-Year-Old Vanished From Her North Fla. Bedroom Monday Night; Girlfriend Was Caring For Her - CBS News

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

They said on the news this morning that Haleigh was not wearing the pink shirt the dad's girlfriend claimed she was wearing when she went to sleep.
User avatar
Peg
Posts: 8673
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:00 pm

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by Peg »

LINK

The family of Haleigh Cummings, who apparently vanished while she was sleeping, says they are afraid she was taken by a pedophile cousin.

The 5-year-old's mother and paternal grandmother said Friday the man in question is a cousin of Misty Croslin, the teenage girlfriend of Ronald Cummings.




The family's plea for the child's return came as news emerged about a tip from Tennessee called in by a woman claiming to have seen a man in a restaurant with a little girl resembling Haleigh, according to MyFOXOrlando.com.


There are also accusations of Haleigh's dad hitting her and hitting her mom while she was pregnant.

Authorities have been investigating a tip that casts doubt on a story told by Croslin that she was home when she discovered the child missing. The source said she wasn't in the trailer when Haleigh vanished last Tuesday. Investigators say they're looking into the report.
User avatar
spot
Posts: 38237
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Haleigh Cummings-Florida

Post by spot »

Sharon from Fort Worth would like her visions bringing to your attention...

Psychic from Texas

Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”