FDLE~good advice to parents~

The AMBER Alert System began in 1996 when Dallas-Fort Worth broadcasters teamed with local police to develop an early warning system to help find abducted children. AMBER stands for America's Missing: Broadcast Emergency Response and was created as a legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, who was kidnaped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas, and then brutally murdered. Other states and communities soon set up their own AMBER plans as the idea was adopted across the nation.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Guide Lights to Protect Your Child’s Safety

FDLE Missing Children Information Clearinghouse

1-888-356-4774

Teach your child his/her full name, address, telephone number (including area code for long distance).

Show and Tell

Show your child how to dial 911 and how to ask for help.

Tell your child to never answer the telephone if she/he is home alone or tell someone on the phone they are home alone.

Teach your child to scream "I DON’T KNOW YOU" if someone attempts to force your child to accompany them.

Tell them that no one has the right to touch them or make them feel uncomfortable and it's O.K. to tell you.

Show your child your love by becoming involved in his/her activities.

Never leave your child alone in a car.

Do not put your child’s first name on clothing, bikes, backpacks or toys where they are visible. Notice when someone pays undue attention to your child. Encourage your child to communicate his feelings. Never belittle any fear or concern your child has, real or imaginary. Leave a telephone emergency list by the phone for your child to use.

Know Who Your Child’s Friends Are.

Keep a current photo of your child. Have your child fingerprinted and keep the card in a safe place. Practice with your child ways to walk to and from school or a friend’s house. Tell your child which are "safe houses" to enter, near your home, when you are not around. Practice role playing with your child on possible situations that may happen and what they should do and say. Know where to obtain your child’s dental and medical records. When your child is traveling, know the license plate tag of the car your child is traveling in, which route your child plans to take, if friends are going along, when and where they are going, and the time expected home.

The "No" List

Teach Your Child To Say No to entering another person’s car or home without your permission, even if the person is known to them.

Teach Your Child To Say No to accepting gifts from strangers or acquaintances without your permission.

Teach Your Child To Say No to answering the telephone or door when home alone.

Teach Your Child To Say No to telling anyone who asks where they live or giving their telephone number to someone they do not know.

If your child is missing, call your local law enforcement agency and file a report.

In order for the police officer to enter your child’s name into the FCIC/NCIC computer, provide a recent photo of your child and a description including hair and eye color, height, weight, date of birth, and other physical attributes. Conduct a neighborhood search of schools, shopping centers, and friends' homes. Provide the local police with your child’s fingerprint card, dental and medical records if requested.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

florida is currently reporting that 1800 sexual offenders are "missing", that we have no clue where they are living. :(
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i watched one day as two babies were left in an open car while daddy went in the store for over 20 minutes. i could have had those kids on Rte. 95 in 2 minutes........let me tell you, when he finally came out of the store i explained to him very graphically where those babies could have been.....and used my "authority" to involve chlldren and families agency in his life. now he has to be subjected to inspection and watchfulness. those kids could have been dead in a ditch.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

yes.......the jerk wouldn't have left his wallet in the car. it's a good thing i have a gun, because i **** these idiots off. i don't advise members of the public to do such things, if you see babies left alone just stand by and call 911. i was having my nails done once and saw a guy swilling beer with a tiny girl in the car.......i simply called our dispatch with a plate number and they bagged him. and my nails got done! the manicurist was cracking up. :D
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

CeltWmn wrote: Thanks, LC. My daughter is only 21 months, and I'm nervous as hell about her. So many things happen to kids. The other day I was meeting a friend at the mall and 2 women with 6 kids, 2 in strollers walked outside. Well, they forgot one little boy around 3 or 4 years old. I went and got a store clerk and sat with him until she came back. She told me she got all the way to her car before she noticed he was gone. Are you kidding me?? If I had wanted to, I could've had myself another child. I could've been at my car and gone before she noticed. She actually LAUGHED about leaving him. Unbelievable.

This is sad I agree, but as the mother of 3 small children (one w/ a life threatening illness) I feel so overwhelmed at times that I could actually see myself possibly doing this. I think after the third child you lose some brain cells which is pretty scary! I have become so paranoid that I have lost one, that I have been known to ask where one went when they are RIGHT next to me! My friends have laughed. Just like parents who look at people that have no kids and think they are "clueless" so are parents of just one. This is one thing I know for sure! That said, I have not been to a mall in about 7 years alone with my kids. It is just too much! Surprisingly, I am very durable, the mall is just a terrible place to go with toddlers. Just remember, you can only strap so many down! It is hard to watch them all at once going in different directions. I am not justifying this lady that lost her kid, I am only saying look closer before you criticize. Her laughter was probably sheer embaressment and shame.
Nature laughs Last
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

CeltWmn wrote: I probably wouldn't have been so upset if she hadn't made it all the way to her car before noticing. She was gone quite a while before she came back. My daughter is not my only child. I have a son as well. I also take care of my sister's child and sometimes my friend's children. Honestly I don't think I would take more than 2 anywhere. It's just too confusing. You can't get anything done because you're too busy worrying. I know what you're saying, but, I still think she should have been more careful. It's not like leaving one of your shopping bags in the store. It's a child.

True! You are so right--it IS a child! Yes that IS pretty bad that she got all the way to her car. Really bad. I was thinking of that after I posted! I too don't like to go anywhere with all 3. Depends where it is! Miraculously they will all sit well in church because they know I mean business! They are also all very good in restaurants also so we eat out a lot. I know a mom that has 5 and I don't know how they do it!
Nature laughs Last
pina

Post by pina »

lady cop wrote: Guide Lights to Protect Your Child’s Safety

FDLE Missing Children Information Clearinghouse

1-888-356-4774

Teach your child his/her full name, address, telephone number (including area code for long distance).

Show and Tell

Show your child how to dial 911 and how to ask for help.

Tell your child to never answer the telephone if she/he is home alone or tell someone on the phone they are home alone.

Teach your child to scream "I DON’T KNOW YOU" if someone attempts to force your child to accompany them.

Tell them that no one has the right to touch them or make them feel uncomfortable and it's O.K. to tell you.

Show your child your love by becoming involved in his/her activities.

Never leave your child alone in a car.

Do not put your child’s first name on clothing, bikes, backpacks or toys where they are visible. Notice when someone pays undue attention to your child. Encourage your child to communicate his feelings. Never belittle any fear or concern your child has, real or imaginary. Leave a telephone emergency list by the phone for your child to use.

Know Who Your Child’s Friends Are.

Keep a current photo of your child. Have your child fingerprinted and keep the card in a safe place. Practice with your child ways to walk to and from school or a friend’s house. Tell your child which are "safe houses" to enter, near your home, when you are not around. Practice role playing with your child on possible situations that may happen and what they should do and say. Know where to obtain your child’s dental and medical records. When your child is traveling, know the license plate tag of the car your child is traveling in, which route your child plans to take, if friends are going along, when and where they are going, and the time expected home.

The "No" List

Teach Your Child To Say No to entering another person’s car or home without your permission, even if the person is known to them.

Teach Your Child To Say No to accepting gifts from strangers or acquaintances without your permission.

Teach Your Child To Say No to answering the telephone or door when home alone.

Teach Your Child To Say No to telling anyone who asks where they live or giving their telephone number to someone they do not know.

If your child is missing, call your local law enforcement agency and file a report.

In order for the police officer to enter your child’s name into the FCIC/NCIC computer, provide a recent photo of your child and a description including hair and eye color, height, weight, date of birth, and other physical attributes. Conduct a neighborhood search of schools, shopping centers, and friends' homes. Provide the local police with your child’s fingerprint card, dental and medical records if requested.

I am so glad my two girls are all grown up now. It must be quite scary being a parent of a young child or children, always needing to know where they are, who with and what they are doing. It seems that every parent has to be so watchful all of the time. The kids dont have any freedom to explore life without some kind of danger.

It was so different when I was young. We would go on long bike rides with a picnic and our parents never had to worry about where we were or when we would be back. Some times they didn't know who we were with and we would be out all day during the summer holidays.

( Sounds like my granny talking ).

robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

CeltWmn wrote: Wow! You're doing great if you can get all 3 to sit well in church and restaurants! My daughter thinks it's pretty boring to go out to eat and just sit there! She feels she needs to explore the whole place. Makes me crazy. Her dad thinks it's O.K. for her to run around (he goes with her.) I, on the other hand, feel it's best to teach her that there are times when you just have to sit and behave. How else will she learn how to deal with things like school? O.K., I'm getting off subject again! Sorry! I seem to be doing that a lot lately!

I believe the reason our kids are well behaved in restaurants is that we starting taking them as infants. Once we were seated at a table, they were NEVER removed from the high chair. When children get ancy, all too often a nervous parent gets up and walks them all over the place. That is the WORST thing you can do for yourself! THIS IS A REWARD to the child. Never get them out! LOL... We had some friends that we quit going out to dinner with because as soon as we'd get there, that baby would make one squawk and then they were outta there!! You are right to want to teach your daughter to sit/behave. It CAN be done. Too many parents don't know how to say "NO"!!
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Amber Alert Forum”