General complaint about single subject saturation of 'New Posts' list.

G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Looking at the list of threads, I can't help feeling that there is a concerted effort by one or two members (non-paying) to saturate Forum Garden with religious type threads ! Is this the impression Forum Garden wants to convey to readers, that Forum Garden is becoming a 'religious site' ?

One or two of us have tried to re-saturate the thread list with non-religious threads, and have been reasonably successful lately, but it seems to be a sort of game - how many threads about religion can be revived. It happens in great waves. Ted, Gnostic Christian Bishop, xfrodobagginsx, Pahu, etc. No sooner are there only a couple of religious threads left on the list, then Ted will arrive, or GCB and post in 10 or 12 religious threads saturating the thread list yet again ! Forum Garden then starts to loose members participating in threads because there are only a few threads left that are not religious. When there were only a couple of religious threads on a page of 18 miscellaneous threads, many members posted. It is noticeable that many members are put off by a saturation of religious threads. They aren't everybody's 'cup of tea', and what few I have had a read of appear to just be repeating themselves and other similar threads. Not sure if it is possible to amalgamate some of these into one thread? Tonight I have tried to bring non-religious threads to the top of the list, thus pushing threads at the bottom, off the list. Then I saw Ted return and post a couple of words in one of his 'pet' threads thus causing it to go to the top of the list, then somebody else posted a few words in a religious thread and that immediately went to the top.

I just looked at this and wondered why I bother ! It puts me off, and it must put others off, posting in Forum Garden. I'm glad I have another site that I can retreat to.

I know that maybe the answer is for every member to start a new thread each day, or very regularly, but to be honest it is difficult, sometimes, to think of an interesting subject to start a thread about.

How does anybody else feel about this ? Do you think that guest readers, who may be looking for a site to regularly post in, would see all those religion threads and just go elsewhere ? Or maybe there are guest readers looking for a religious site and, seeing all the religious threads on our 'new posts' list think 'yippee' and dive in and add more threads about religion !

I,, personally, don't mind threads about religious subjects at all, but I step back in horror when there are more than 50% religious threads on the 'new posts' list !
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I remember we had this complaint a while back, and there was an agreement to limit the subjects, but that was with a specific couple of individuals who were very cooperative about limiting the number of threads they would contribute to, regularly.

Not sure such a request will be met with as cooperative a spirit this time.

We could try, though.
"We don't wear our masks because we are scared of dying from COVID. We wear them because we don't want to kill anybody." - Pastor Chad Stafford
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Would be good LarsMac. Could save my sanity (for one !) and maybe persuade some members not to 'abandon ship'.

I may even put my plan on a back burner, if these people are co-operative. I wonder how they would feel if all they could see on the 'new posts' page, a page full of WORD GAMES, and every time they posted or started a new religious thread, they found they were being interrupted by WORD GAMES, and the 'new posts' list was full of WORD GAMES. Would they be so tolerant ? They would just keep posting in those religious threads and start new ones, so there could be outright war ! What a prospect ! Poor Bryn Mawr. I hasten to add that it would not be my intention to post loads of WORD GAMES, but somebody might ! You've got to admit that the situation is fraught with possibilities though. Don't worry, I hate WORD GAMES on a social network site like this, so why would I want to inflict stuff like that onto the site. That is almost as unbearable as having a saturation of religious threads !!!! :thinking: :sneaky: :lips:
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I noticed it yesterday evening. It's a bit of a problem on occasions but you cant really blame the posters. Okay there are a couple who seem to litter the place with crazy threads. but posters like Ted for instance, are gravitated to what they know and to what they are interested in. Its just unfortunate that it dominates the list of threads.

Not sure what the answer is but the site maybe needs to find ways of attracting new members. New members that stay for the long haul are very rare
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Then you, Snowfire, must be a rarity ! ;) :)
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Snowfire;1485162 wrote: I noticed it yesterday evening. It's a bit of a problem on occasions but you cant really blame the posters. Okay there are a couple who seem to litter the place with crazy threads. but posters like Ted for instance, are gravitated to what they know and to what they are interested in. Its just unfortunate that it dominates the list of threads.

Not sure what the answer is but the site maybe needs to find ways of attracting new members. New members that stay for the long haul are very rare

I don't think that saturating the 'new posts' list with religious threads will encourage new people to register with a view to posting regular posts on Forum Garden, do you ? :-3 :thinking: :-5
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

G#Gill;1485164 wrote: Then you, Snowfire, must be a rarity ! ;) :)

Well, I've been here since 2005. With a bit of a break
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Apologies, but I'm just trying to cause certain threads to 'drop out of the bottom of the list' !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well so far, I make that 10 threads each !!!!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Oh drat !!!!! There are four more religious threads on the next page of the 'new posts' list !!!!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Typical !!! Gnostic Christian Bishop seems to have declared war ! :-5
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac, I appreciate what you say, but I think I'll keep on doing what I am doing for a little while longer ! Also none of those posters like Ted, GCB, etc. are 'green' members so cannot read what is said in here, that is why I make any comments about the religious threads in this thread !
spot

Post by spot »

To a more-than-usual extent, the people who discuss religion on FG aren't daily visitors. When they update the threads in which they're involved, they tend to update half a dozen at a time. It only takes two or three to arrive on one day for the site to have over a dozen religion-related threads running high on the list. I don't regard that as misuse, or off-putting to potential new members, or any different to how threads in religion have been updated at any time over the past decade.

When the Religion area was set up originally, it was a deliberate inclusion and had its own moderator. It has, over the years, attracted insane evangelists like xfrodobagginsx who do more to deter people from Christianity than anyone else I've ever heard of. The more he succeeds, the happier I'll be - monotheism is the most destructive force humanity has yet invented and it needs to be laughed out of existence. I'm delighted he's such an appalling and embarrassing blight on the religion he professes.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I suppose this is where you and I differ, spot, because maybe you can't see what I can see. Your thinking is different from mine. You are more tolerant of such things, probably, whereas I can see a potential problem. Snowfire said that probably the best solution would be to encourage more members who would post frequently, including new threads, and stay for the long haul. This is a good idea, of course, but the question I would ask is "If somebody looking for a site to join on a regular basis, notices a majority of religious threads but were not really into religion themselves, would they register on Forum Garden or would they high-tail it away to another site ?" so how does one encourage "guests" to register and become members ?

As you can see, I have started one or two new threads that are a little different and may be of interest to some people, and I try to post on several threads each day, but it is rather difficult to vary the post content sometimes.

I still think that Forum Garden is probably one of the best sites on the internet, and it saddens me to feel that the site is loosing it's foothold and slowly falling out of favour. Why this is, is a mystery to me. The answer escapes me and I feel that it will be difficult to get more members ( if getting more members is the answer ) if there is a preponderance of single subject threads on the 'new posts' list.

It would be very off-putting if over 50% of the 'new posts' list was concerning vehicle engines and it's mechanics, or 50% concentrated on 'word games' or over 50% concentrated on 'politics', so why allow over 50% of 'new posts' to be concerning religion ? I believe this sends out the wrong signals to prospective members, even though this saturation does not occur all the time, it seems to happen quite regularly. But then, who the hell am I ? :-2
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Well, likely as not, these two or three have notification turned on, so that they get pinged when someone replies to their favorite threads. One sees all the updates, and comes back to reply to all of them, the other now gets pinged, and will come post updates.

And, of course, every time the thread gets a new post, it will go back to the top of the "New Posts" or "Today's posts" list.

I suspect that you will wear out before these guys. But with your efforts, the overall post count will improve.
"We don't wear our masks because we are scared of dying from COVID. We wear them because we don't want to kill anybody." - Pastor Chad Stafford
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I am not bothered about post count, Lars, and you are quite right about the 'pinging' that they all get. It just will never end ! So much for spot's observation that the 'gang' only come on intermittently. I know that the 'gang' are never far away and will post incessantly with only a few days peace between episodes of saturation. I feel they are now approaching repeating themselves. To me this is a very selfish attitude and unworthy of people who call themselves christians.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Eventually they will get bored with agreeing with each other and move on.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

LarsMac;1485238 wrote: Eventually they will get bored with agreeing with each other and move on.

It is to be hoped, LarsMac ! :rolleyes: But I won't hold my breath ! As I have said before, I really don't mind the religious threads, it's just the sheer volume of them that is rather over powering and more than a little intimidating.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1485245 wrote: it's just the sheer volume of them that is rather over powering and more than a little intimidating.

Here's the top forum areas, by post count...

1 General Chit Chat 460,132

2 Word Games 175,195

3 Friends, Relationships, &... 67,709

4 Archives 56,642

5 ForumGarden Hotel 47,971

6 Current Events 46,214

7 Members' News 43,787

8 Introductions 37,488

9 Just For The Fun Of It 34,521

10 General Religious Discussions 24,902

11 Current Political Events 24,692

12 Pub Nutters Inn 17,959

13 History of Infractions Given 16,845

14 The Kitchen 13,658

15 Christianity 12,392

The religious areas are around one in thirty of the total posts.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Not quite sure what you are trying to say, spot ! But the information is interesting !
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1485258 wrote: Not quite sure what you are trying to say, spot ! But the information is interesting !

I'm saying that posts in FG's religious areas are around one in thirty of the total posts to FG. You may now and then get a burst of them but I really don't see that proportion as heavy use.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Okay, but check how often there are saturations of religious threads in the last few months.
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1485260 wrote: Okay, but check how often there are saturations of religious threads in the last few months.

That would, I fear, take a considerable amount of programming.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1485262 wrote: That would, I fear, take a considerable amount of programming.

Oh well, never mind Mr. spot, it isn't that desperate that you have to take a load of time etc. over something which, quite frankly, is of minor importance to some and of no importance to the rest ! I'm sure you could spend your time in a more profitable way ! I'm not being sarcastic, just in case you may think I am !
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1485253 wrote: Here's the top forum areas, by post count...

1 General Chit Chat 460,132

2 Word Games 175,195

3 Friends, Relationships, &... 67,709

4 Archives 56,642

5 ForumGarden Hotel 47,971

6 Current Events 46,214

7 Members' News 43,787

8 Introductions 37,488

9 Just For The Fun Of It 34,521

10 General Religious Discussions 24,902

11 Current Political Events 24,692

12 Pub Nutters Inn 17,959

13 History of Infractions Given 16,845

14 The Kitchen 13,658

15 Christianity 12,392

The religious areas are around one in thirty of the total posts.

Seems like there should be a method to extract that kind of data for a particular time-frame.
spot

Post by spot »

There is. One writes SQL to extract a csv file of all posts, carrying just the timestamp, thread title and forum area, and then one graphs the religious proportion by time periods. The line will ascend as the proportion increases and descend as it decreases, and the gradient shows the rate of change. If it's by week, for example, there are around 575 data points.

My guess is that as these zealots have come onto the site over the years, that would tend to push the ratio higher, but that back in the old days there were hefty discussions between regular members in the religious forum areas, which would also have the ratio higher back then too. So maybe it's pretty flat.

It's perhaps 50 lines of code. Personally, I'm working on other things at the moment.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well that had some interesting posts in it !
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Just to add. I'm sorry to have to mention yet again, but I really think that those flamin' religious posts will continue to saturate the 'new posts' list. I think it is ridiculous, and I feel that they are taking the 'piss'. It's as if they are deliberately spamming on Forum Garden and I think it could damage this site, in that guests could jump to the wrong conclusion that it has become a religious site! I have just received an email from a member who says that he has decided to leave. I expect Forum Garden could well loose more members !
spot

Post by spot »

G#Gill;1485397 wrote: Just to add. I'm sorry to have to mention yet again, but I really think that those flamin' religious posts will continue to saturate the 'new posts' list. I think it is ridiculous, and I feel that they are taking the 'piss'. It's as if they are deliberately spamming on Forum Garden and I think it could damage this site, in that guests could jump to the wrong conclusion that it has become a religious site! I have just received an email from a member who says that he has decided to leave. I expect Forum Garden could well loose more members !
They are not spamming, they are not having a joke, they are not damaging the site, religious discussions have been deliberately invited here since 2004.

And "I have just received an email from a member" is yet another in a long line of anonymous attempts at pressure which we invariably ignore. If someone wants to say something they can stand up and say it themselves, in public or in private.

If you don't like a topic or a poster, don't open the post. It couldn't be simpler, really.

We are not, under any circumstances, going to ban a swathe of members because they post predominantly in the Religious forums. The suggestion is an outrage.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1485398 wrote: They are not spamming, they are not having a joke, they are not damaging the site, religious discussions have been deliberately invited here since 2004.

And "I have just received an email from a member" is yet another in a long line of anonymous attempts at pressure which we invariably ignore. If someone wants to say something they can stand up and say it themselves, in public or in private.

If you don't like a topic or a poster, don't open the post. It couldn't be simpler, really.

We are not, under any circumstances, going to ban a swathe of members because they post predominantly in the Religious forums. The suggestion is an outrage.

Could they not condense down to, say, 3 or 4 threads for Biblical discussions? Saturation posting springs to mind with the plethora of religious stuff on FG. It's a bit like having a 'religious caller' on your door that you can't get rid of! I notice that they often take up 50% or more space of the new posts list.

Why have you added BANNING to you answer for G#Gill's post? It does annoy me when people add superfluous comments to 'change the spin' of the original post; it is uncalled-for and unnecessary. I would also find it outrageous to ban someone for posting on religious topics, but I don't believe banning was mentioned,except by yourself!
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

Smaug;1485401 wrote: Why have you added BANNING to you answer for G#Gill's post?
Because she offered no solution, so I discussed the obvious one.

Word Games used to get up noses too, back in the day. I remember trying to solve that problem by injecting additional satirically insane word games to the circulating mix.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Word Games used to get up noses too, back in the day. I remember trying to solve that problem by injecting additional satirically insane word games to the circulating mix.

Did it work?

It's difficult to satirise religion without offending people, though.
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
spot

Post by spot »

Smaug;1485405 wrote: Did it work?

It's difficult to satirise religion without offending people, though.

It didn't work, people played the new word games despite their incomprehensible rules.

Offending monomaniacs is high on my task list.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

spot;1485407 wrote: It didn't work, people played the new word games despite their incomprehensible rules.

Offending monomaniacs is high on my task list.

I should have realised....

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.

It's there for all to see! (Chuckles quietly)
spot

Post by spot »

Smaug;1485409 wrote: I should have realised....

It’s normal. You must provoke. You must insult the belief of all monotheists. You must make fun of the belief of all monotheists.

It's there for all to see! (Chuckles quietly)
It's an outraged response to a quote this year of the Pope: the Pope said: “It’s normal. You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others.”

Pope Francis: 'You cannot make fun of the faith of others' - Telegraph

Of course you can. You have to. It's the only possible moral reaction to any traditional monotheistic belief. Monotheism infects believers with insanity, the fact that it's common doesn't make it acceptable.

Return to “Reported Posts”