Fly me to the…. Mars

A forum created specifically for polls.
mikeinie

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by mikeinie »

I have been reading on this historical anniversary of the first walk on the moon the call for politicians to embrace the spirit of the Apollo projects to bring us to Mars.

Why?

We live in different times now, there is no cold war, the race to the moon was really a race between political ideologies; Capitalism and Communism, and the result was the Americans landing on the moon first, but only after a large number of Russian successes in space exploration.

Today we are faced with Global financial crisis, bankruptcies, poverty and countries that are trillions in debt, what would be the advantage to the world of spending incredible sums of money to invest in sending someone to Mars. If we are going to spend that kind of money, let’s spend it on saving our own planet first.
Bill Sikes

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by Bill Sikes »

mikeinie;1219034 wrote: what would be the advantage to the world of spending incredible sums of money to invest in sending someone to Mars

Research. Technological advance.

However, I am absolutely against the idea, as if there is some sort of life on Mars, it'll possibly be destroyed, and the environment there, which has been isolated for billions of years, be irrevocably contaminated. Use the moon for experimentation.
spot

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by spot »

mikeinie;1219034 wrote: what would be the advantage to the world of spending incredible sums of money to invest in sending someone to MarsThe survival of the species and its cultures. Staying on a single planet is a guarantee of species extinction. Establishing and spreading permanent self-sustaining colonies elsewhere is the only possible long-term answer to that issue. There's an entire galaxy devoid of intelligent life out there and we've not taken any backups at all.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by Odie »

There is no life whatsover on Mars.

Why spend billions just for publicity?
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by qsducks »

There are a few peeps I'd like to send to Mars permently....politicians...I could go on:yh_rotfl
Bill Sikes

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1219071 wrote: There is no life whatsover on Mars.

How do you *know*?

Odie;1219071 wrote: Why spend billions just for publicity?

Technological advance.
Odie

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1219125 wrote: How do you *know*?

Technological advance.

oh c'mon, there's been proof!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

technological advance?

for what?

spend the money where its needed.;)
Life is just to short for drama.
chonsigirl

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by chonsigirl »

Let's go to Mars! Going to D.C. and spending money on pork isn't getting us anywhere!
spot

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by spot »

I don't think it's a US project chonsi, it's a planet-wide one.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chonsigirl

Fly me to the…. Mars

Post by chonsigirl »

Ah, thank you spot. I think that would be even better. The days of the Cold War/space race mentality is hopefully over.

You mentioned all the technological advances from space-think of what they will come up with for the next leg of the journey!

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”