Which time period would you rather live in based off of career opportunities?...

A forum created specifically for polls.
K.Snyder

Which time period would you rather live in based off of career opportunities?...

Post by K.Snyder »

1930-1970

or

1970-2008
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well I was born in 1947 so I have worked in both and I would say the opportunities were great after the 70's.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It's better now.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

No votes girls?...

You're going to make me cwy!...:-1...

Hehe...

:yh_wink...

:yh_kiss...

:wah:...

<------God, I'm hopeless...:wah:...
Lon

Post by Lon »

I have followed your posts KC re: which time periods were the best to work, live, marry etc. and gotta say that there are opportunities galore in all the time frames, they just present themselves differently and present different challenges to those seeking opportunity. If I were starting out today and was in my 20's, I am absolutely certain that I could do just as well and perhaps better than my time period. It's never really been easy to be happy and successful. It takes motivation and determination and the willingness to move to where the opportunities are, rather than to wait for opportunity to come bite you in the ass.:)
spot

Post by spot »

The answer depends entirely on your social class, your education, your race and your sex. One set of answers had it better before the 1970s and another set after.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Fair enough...

Perhaps we can go from my personal opinion that I think I myself personally, given my education(I'm a high school drop out who never did my homework when I did go to school but I'm quite comfortable with my intellect so bring on the jokes!!!!!!...:wah:) and both economies within the US during both time frames, I would have had much more opportunities to become successful between the time periods of 1930-1970...

Successful in this sense would be defined as making over $80,000/yr...
spot

Post by spot »

That's because there are now Human Resources departments which run these corporations, and they have recruitment and promotion policies based on paper qualifications, and back before 1970 the most those things ever meant, at most, was whether you could get recruited. The first firm I worked for had a policy that no graduate would be recruited in certain areas. Right into the 1980s that was true if you were recruited as a stock exchange jobber in London, you had to be an East End Wide Boy in the firm I was at.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1044767 wrote: That's because there are now Human Resources departments which run these corporations, and they have recruitment and promotion policies based on paper qualifications, and back before 1970 the most those things ever meant, at most, was whether you could get recruited. The first firm I worked for had a policy that no graduate would be recruited in certain areas. Right into the 1980s that was true if you were recruited as a stock exchange jobber in London, you had to be an East End Wide Boy in the firm I was at.

There you have it...

Capitalism benefits arbitration to the point people have to spend money to make money. Spending money for a college education that not only does not guarantee the competence of the newly appointed but renders their efforts overpaid. Much in the same sense, that in history real estate was the only primary source for capitalist entity as opposed to not being subjected to patents and other laws limiting the efforts of the majority whereas today you need money to make money more so than you had in the past.

All you see is a population increase giving you the impression that more are "lazy" when in fact all of the damn real estate has run out.

It's fitting to my argument.
spot

Post by spot »

The answer's so simple.

Refuse to work for any corporation or company that has a Human Resources department.

Start your own corporation and refuse to employ anyone with Human Resources qualifications.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;1044775 wrote: The answer's so simple.

Refuse to work for any corporation or company that has a Human Resources department.

Start your own corporation and refuse to employ anyone with Human Resources qualifications.

I already have.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I picked the earlier ones. I could be barefoot and pregnant my whole life! :D
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I would like to have run with Dillinger back in the day.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Jenn1980

Post by Jenn1980 »

I voted 1970-2008. But not so much presently, the big 3 crisis is a huge deal, and could impact our community especially.:-1
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Jenn1980;1084541 wrote: I voted 1970-2008. But not so much presently, the big 3 crisis is a huge deal, and could impact our community especially.:-1

Hi Jenn.. Welcome to forum garden. I hope you enjoy your time here.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”