Police Step Up Search for Utah Mom

Discuss missing adults, unsolved or suspicious deaths, unidentified persons, and more.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

SALT LAKE CITY (Dec. 12) -- Utah police are putting more investigators into the search for a 28-year-old mother whose disappearance has been termed "highly suspicious."

Since Susan Powell was reported missing Monday, authorities have questioned her husband and searched a desert area where he said he took the couple's two young children, ages 2 and 4, camping last weekend in freezing conditions.

Josh Powell returned Monday night, after police had already received a call from relatives who had not heard from the Powell family.

"We are putting practically every detective we have on this case," West Valley City Police Capt. Tom McLachlan said Friday afternoon. "It's highly suspicious."

He said about 30 detectives hunted down leads Friday as investigators tried to verify Josh Powell's story, but couldn't because snow had covered the spot along The Pony Express Trail where he said he took the children.

Josh Powell did not return a call or an e-mail from The Associated Press on Friday.

Susan Powell's family in Puyallup, Wash., south of Seattle, was getting daily updates from police and hoped something would turn up to lead detectives to the missing mother of two.

"This is a really difficult time for the family," said Shelby Gifford, a friend who the family asked to act as a spokeswoman. "They've been really comforted by all of the support. That's something to hang on to right now, and they're very grateful for that."

Gifford said the family has also been in frequent contact with Susan Powell's friends, who held a candlelight vigil Thursday night at a park near the Powells' home.

"That's one of the only things that keeps you going," Gifford said. "That and the belief we need to find Susan and we need to find her now."

Gifford said police told the family that Susan Powell's purse and cell phone were in the home when it was searched.

The family called police Monday, when she didn't show up for her job as a stockbroker at Wells Fargo Financial.

McLachlan said she hasn't contacted anyone since her disappearance. Her parents say she wouldn't have left her two young sons and husband on her own accord.
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

I smell a rat and it's the husband :( Why would he take a 2 and 4 year old camping in the freezing cold? :-5 I just hope these little children didn't witness what happened to their mother :-1
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Jazzy;1272672 wrote: I smell a rat and it's the husband :( Why would he take a 2 and 4 year old camping in the freezing cold? :-5 I just hope these little children didn't witness what happened to their mother :-1

I'm afraid I have to agree with you, Jazzy. Except if their normal recreational activity was camping in freezing weather. Yeah right.

A sad story indeed.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Peg

Post by Peg »

I have a feeling this is not going to end well. :-1
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

*Update* Cops: Missing Utah mom's son confirms camping trip

PUYALLUP, Wash. – At a tearful news conference, the family of a missing Utah woman expressed sadness that police have grown increasingly suspicious of her husband as the criminal investigation wears on.

Susan Powell, a 28-year-old mother of two young children, was reported missing Dec. 7 when she didn't show up for her stockbroker job at a bank. She was last seen a day earlier.

What had been a missing persons case for several days has now turned into a criminal investigation with foul play suspected.

Eight members of Susan Powell's family were present at Thursday's news conference in Washington state, where her parents live.

As family friend and spokeswoman Shelby Gifford spoke about Powell's life, several members broke down in tears and embraced each other.

Her husband, Josh Powell, is not a suspect, but authorities have dubbed him a person of interest, saying he has demonstrated a frustrating lack of cooperation that has only increased their suspicion of him. Police suspect foul play.

Full Story Link: Cops: Missing Utah mom's son confirms camping trip - Yahoo! News

Return to “Missing Adults”